The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut

i don't even know what spices are. it's like, you put plant nethers on your food, ok fine, but it's not vegetabular for some reason? doesn't make any goddamn sense man

Or plant eggs, or leaves.

A vegetable implies that it is added fresh or cooked rather than dessicated, and a spice or herb that it is added to flavour in very small amounts.
    quit bein all reasonable

anyway point is everybody says like "spices only last three months, or one month if you really want the flavor" or something like that and jesus christ i cannot use a cup of cumin in that time
    just get the non ground version of the spice and a mortar and pestle
    or don't, the food will be fine with old spices too as long as it's not like a year old
  • Boney said:

SF_Sorrow said:

bok choy is the best vegetable

like, bok choy and ong choy are better than just about any western green vegetable you can name
    cabbage
    I raise you Napa cabbage
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Idea for a movie:

Louie Anderson is Jim O'Rourke in a lighthearted cyber-tragedy. Jim travels to Japan in 2010 to visit the frozen head of Burt Bacharach.

O2iNymX.png
    aIcbIyz.png
    86XFB8U.jpg
    siRMBJP.jpg
    PXeUDNJ.jpg
    id say napa is better than all of the leafy greens mentioned so far, only because it's used for kim chi
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

tumblr when i capture the princess: Hell yeah, fuck the monarchists

tumblr when a plumber assaul

is Vanilla eating posts again?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^^ Those posters never get old.
  • no i was just too lazy to finish my joke
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I don't think most people can use a cup of cumin in less than three months, unless they're in a very large Indian family or something. Or just live with a bunch of people who really, really like cumin.

On a related note, I would love to have some really weird spices in my cupboard like asafoetida.
  • kill living beings
    my babby's first cookbook has a recipe for beans and rice and recaito or something, and it just assumes you can get recaito (like, premade) at the supermarket, and it is hells of confusing

recaito is probably not a "spice"

my babby's first cookbook has a recipe for beans and rice and recaito or something, and it just assumes you can get recaito (like, premade) at the supermarket, and it is hells of confusing

It's apparently the same thing as "sofrito," which is like a Puerto Rican mise en place thing.

your supermarket doesn't have a hispanic foods section?
  • kill living beings
    not this far north, no. i mean, there's a bit in the "ethnic" aisle, but it doesn't include puerto rican food.

on the other hand if i want fresh bok choy or halal meat that's easy. yay, international students
  • kill living beings

mise en place

god damn it, i'm never going to cookerate properly
    It's so weird seeing that to people from the Eastern US, Coors used to be this forbidden fruit, but now that you can get it nationwide it's regarded as pisswater

what?

isn't it?

(Also, prior to the 1980s, they didn't sell Coors outside of the a handful of states)
    My parents have always hated Coors, partly because it tastes bad and partly because the Coors family were and are extremely right-wing.
    The Coors family is Colorado's preeminent rich family, though the Bonfils family (descended from a former owner of the Denver Post) also at least has things named after them
    There really doesn't seem to be that much in the way of old money out here
    Someone on City-Data says that the East is dominated by old money, which Colorado lacks because there aren't as many people whose families have lived here for generations
    "Dominated by old money" is a stretch. There are definitely families out here which are very wealthy and fairly powerful and have been for a very long time, but that makes it sound like some kind of weird oligarchy which it, uhhh, isn't?

Also, I think that there being a lack of old money in a state that is less than two hundred years old and was basically a frontier region for much of that time is sort of self-evident. That's sort of like saying there's no old money native to Los Angeles or Las Vegas. The immediate response that leaps to mind is, "Of course there isn't." Like, having buildings named after you doesn't make you old money. It means you have enough money to be egotistical. That's it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    allergic to vitamins
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Grandma has an entire second fridge full of water

It's a small, like, hotel-sized fridge, but even so
  • Alice

why does your grandma have an entire second fridge full of water?
    you never know when water will go extinct.

"Dominated by old money" is a stretch. There are definitely families out here which are very wealthy and fairly powerful and have been for a very long time, but that makes it sound like some kind of weird oligarchy which it, uhhh, isn't?

Also, I think that there being a lack of old money in a state that is less than two hundred years old and was basically a frontier region for much of that time is sort of self-evident. That's sort of like saying there's no old money native to Los Angeles or Las Vegas. The immediate response that leaps to mind is, "Of course there isn't." Like, having buildings named after you doesn't make you old money. It means you have enough money to be egotistical. That's it.

I figured LA would have a ton of it at least
  • sadly, on the orders of Kanye West, there are no more parties in LA.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Jane said:

Alice

why does your grandma have an entire second fridge full of water?
    Your guess is as good as mine

Is there a shrug emoji

I need one

It seems today, that all you see is violence in movies and sex on TV. But where are those good old-fashioned values on which we used to rely?
  • and now the Family Guy theme will be stuck in my head for eight thousand years.
    Jane said:

and now the Family Guy theme will be stuck in my head for eight thousand years.

It's been in mine since last night so
    Anonus said:

What we now know of as Los Angeles only really came to exist at the turn of the twentieth century. They consider structures from the '30s "really old" there, which would make any European snort their coffee out their nose laughing. I mean, the mission is older, and there was a town and then a small city there following the Gold Rush, but it was only with the rise of Hollywood that LA as you would recognise it became a reality.

Like, how exactly do you define "old money"?
  • The idea of old money in the United States is sort of laughable just because the idea of "Old" in the US is very compressed.
    I was actually going to discuss that, but I can't get to that point without explaining what the term actually means, and I can't do that without figuring out what Anonus thinks he's talking about in the first place.
  • Like I dunno

are the Fuggers still around? They'd be old money.

Anonus said:

What we now know of as Los Angeles only really came to exist at the turn of the twentieth century. They consider structures from the '30s "really old" there, which would make any European snort their coffee out their nose laughing. I mean, the mission is older, and there was a town and then a small city there following the Gold Rush, but it was only with the rise of Hollywood that LA as you would recognise it became a reality.

people who have been wealthy for multiple generations? showbiz money?

and yeah, LA shot WAY up in population after showbiz - before then it was an oil town that wasn't as prominent as San Francisco or even Denver
    also tbh you and Jane probably know more about Europe than I do
  • I probably know the most about The Duchy of Naxos out of anyone on this forum.
    old as balls
    Anonus said:

Anonus said:

people who have been wealthy for multiple generations? showbiz money?

and yeah, LA shot WAY up in population after showbiz - before then it was an oil town that wasn't as prominent as San Francisco or even Denver
    See, showbiz money isn't old money. It's pretty much the opposite of old money, seeing as the mass market film industry is barely a century old. That's new money.

In the United States, old money, real old money, predates the advent of electricity, in some cases predates the Industrial Revolution. People with names like Pew, Stuyvesant, Vanderbilt, Rothschild, folks with titles like the Baron of [Obscure Fiefdom] or Princess [So-and-So] of [Former Principality]—that's old money. Samuel Mayer is not old money.
  • fucking Vanderbilts

always just fucking

existing and shit
  • have disassembled, am now reassembling computer in vain attempt to solve overheating
    Like, when I used to go to free recitals at the Curtis Institute, on the back of the evening's programme they'd have a list of donors, with their annual contributions listed. At the bottom you'd just have random fans of the institution, then you made your way up and you see charitable institutions, some families, and at the top you'd get a curious mix: A bunch of couples, some families, plenty of single names, a lot with Jewish or Central European surnames, others very English, some recognisable but many obscure, with about half bearing some weird title or another. Those randos with the weird names at the top? That's old money.

have disassembled, am now reassembling computer in vain attempt to solve overheating

:<

Good luck!!!

Like, when I used to go to free recitals at the Curtis Institute, on the back of the evening's programme they'd have a list of donors, with their annual contributions listed. At the bottom you'd just have random fans of the institution, then you made your way up and you see charitable institutions, some families, and at the top you'd get a curious mix: A bunch of couples, some families, plenty of single names, a lot with Jewish or Central European surnames, others very English, some recognisable but many obscure, with about half bearing some weird title or another. Those randos with the weird names at the top? That's old money.

old money seems good at staying out of the spotlight
  • put laptop back together, somehow failed to reconnect touchpad

one second
  • edited 2016-08-20 05:05:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Old Philadelphia money, at least. New York's mandarin class was a lot more extravagant. But fewer of them still have their cash. Or really exist.

^ OK.
    chugga chugga