The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yes you are!
  • ...is the "houses" and "points" something real British schools do? As an ignorant American child I just felt like it was something made up for dramatic effect.

Absolutely
  • Even my Sixth Form school did houses and points.
  • Fun fact: the first Harry Potter film came out in 2001, when I was 7 years old and in my new junior school. I was in Welbeck house, which was green. There was also Norfolk house, which was red. Since we started at the time as the Harry Potter films, there was intense rivalry between Welbeck and Norfolk, much like the Slytherin and Gryffindor rivalry. Nowhere was this more apparent than when it came to a rounders match between Welbeck and Norfolk.
  • This rivalry stayed the entire time I was at that school, which was four years. When we were in Y6, the rivalry got very intense, as we were old enough to know what it meant to be rivals.
  • Though we didn't have uniform which showed which house we were in. Our P.E uniform did in the form of a tshirt in our house colour, but not our actual uniform.
  • In secondary school, we also had houses, but the only time we had to wear the colour of our houses was at school sports day.
  • It is most certainly fake, but even as a thought experiment, it's quite amusing

Knowing the daily wtf it probably is "real" but extremely embellished.

What I'm saying is someone probably did make that XML mistake at some point in some context.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the houses thing is pretty common over here but exact implementation varies

at the comprehensive i attended from years 7 to 11, i remember when they introduced the house system; they didn't always have one

whereas at the grammar school where i went to sixth form, there were a bunch of long-standing houses

neither of those really worked like the houses in Harry Potter since there wasn't really the disciplinary aspect; points were awarded on the basis of sports and other competitions, but mostly sports

the 'ten points from Gryffindor' thing is more like the 'team points' system we had at my old primary school, but that was a much smaller scale thing
  • My (not British) school introduced houses in grade 8 but it was explicitly inspired by Harry Potter lol.

Also, we never actually did anything with them.
    Odradek said:
    stuff like this can really kill my interest in an educational series

because if they can say stuff like this about something i *do* know a little about, why should i trust them to talk about, say, chemistry, which i don't know anything about?
    y'know houses were so utterly irrelevant to the sixth formers that i can't even remember what house i was at, at the grammar

it was an unusual set up, the lower years weren't allowed to interact with students from the neighbouring girls' high, but we shared a sixth form with them

i spent most of my time there in the shared sixth form block and had classes at both schools and some at the nearby comprehensive as well
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Il a un prénom de fleur
    A les cheveux qui s'en vont
    Et ses grosses mains d'étrangleur
    Sentent le savons
    Hyacinthe, Hyactinthe

J'lui confirai pas ma soeur
    J'refuserai sont parapluie
    Et j'prendrai pas l'ascenseur
    Tou seul avec lui
    Hyacinthe, Hyacinthe

Même s'il sent la camomille
    Même s'il propose des cachous
    Même si j'me sens en famille
    En présence d'un fou
    Hyacinthe

Il a un rire de fillette
    Quand un oiseau du seigneur
    Dans ses grosses mains d'étrangleur
    Vient manger des miettes
    Hyacinthe, Hyacinthe

C'est peut-être moi qui déraille
    Mais si j'étais une caille
    J'aimerai mieux mourir de faim
    Qu de manger dans la main
    De Hyacinthe, Hyacinthe...

Ce formidable boudin
    Qu'en a fait Jeannine, plus d'un
    Parc'qu'avec un air benoit
    Il brise une noix

Moi-même je change de couleur
    J'me sens devenir liquide
    J'me sens tomber dans le vide
    Quand Hyacinthe l'étrangleur
    Croise mon chemin

Hyacinthe

Cheveux rare, barde noire
    Je rajoute un entonoire
    Dans un coin de mon cahier
    Je fais le portrait de Hyacinthe

Malgrès mon trèfle à quatre feuille
    Ma medaille de communion
    J'vais plus aux WC tout seul
    Sans aprehension
    Hiacinthe, Hyacinthe...

Si vous rencontrez Hyacinthe
    Avant que le jour s'enfuit
    Alors que la cloche tinte
    Alors qu'il s'ennuit

Sans un cris, sans une plainte
    Sans un bruit, sans une quinte
    Vous partirez faire fortune
    Dans la région de la lune

Car lorqu'il pète un fusible
    Il n'a plus de sentiments
    Mais il a les pieds sensibles
    Et dans son logement
    Hyacinthe, Hyacinthe

Rentre ses pieds dans une bassine
    Et romp avec le passer
    Ca confience assassine
    De fleur est tapissée
    Hyacinthe, Hyacinthe...
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Tachyon said:

Odradek said:

because if they can say stuff like this about something i *do* know a little about, why should i trust them to talk about, say, chemistry, which i don't know anything about?
    Aaaaaand that's why I stopped reading Pitchfork.
  • kill living beings

It is most certainly fake, but even as a thought experiment, it's quite amusing

go fig
  • Tachyon said:

Odradek said:

mmmmmmmhm
  • edited 2016-06-07 16:58:01

dream: slice of life anime about a girl with long hair who can see the ghosts of the recently departed, generally very frantically paced, but has suddenly somber moments

details recalled: her dad collects and restores old American cars, in several episodes she borrows his navy blue Ford Thunderbird. also in one episode her sidekick/romantic interest dies and it takes her almost the entire episode to figure it out.
    IMHO, Naruto was responding to rampant-planet destruction in DBZ by not having planet destruction.

It's a Deconstruction of DBZ's callous disregard for human life.
  • what about that time Sasuke exploded Mars tho

what about that time Sasuke exploded Mars tho

filler doesn't count
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I will be forever amazed by the ability of Final Fantasy players to stand in every orange marker except the ones they are supposed to.
    Pop quiz!

You are fighting the evil wizard, Killy McSlaughterson. You can tell that he is evil because he ate the last slice of your favourite pizza without asking.

Periodically during the fight, he puts pools of green goo on the floor. If you stand in the goo, you temporarily become a zombie, which is mildly inconvenient due to the whole brains thing.

OH NO! Killy is casting his most deadly spell, "Everybody Will Fall Over And Die". (Killy suffers from a rare disease that means he is incapable of creativity.) When the spell finishes casting, everybody falls over and dies. Oh dear. You're dead. Now what?

But wait. Just after Killy started casting the spell, the pools of zombie goo appeared. What do you do?
  • you shove killy into a pool?
  • You hope that Undeath works like it does in Dark Souls, I guess.

Also, Killy McSlaughterson sounds like an annoying boss
    stand in the pool, because zombies can't die
  • kill living beings
    punch im. wizards can't deal with punches
    I wonder if I'd be just as receptive to soaps from Australia and the UK as I seem to be on the whole for US ones.
  • get that wizard a grapple, wizards love grapples
  • edited 2016-06-07 18:38:37
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Crystal said:

I wonder if I'd be just as receptive to soaps from Australia and the UK as I seem to be on the whole for US ones.

Which is? Not at all? Somewhat?

They're quite a lot different, genre-wise.
    you are all smarter than the average ff player, who, despite having played the game for tens of hours at minimum to reach this point, choose the option "stand around whilst he casts mega death, despite dying horribly last time they did that"
  • Crystal said:

For a good minute, I was thinking, like, scrub-a-dub-dub soaps
  • wait, does standing in the zombie pool make you immune to the insta-kill because you're already dead?

i was thinking that wasn't the answer because it seemed too obvious
    Tachyon said:

There's a bit in FFX where you fight a zombie version of a boss you previously fought, and you can auto-kill him with a revive spell because zombies instantly die to revive spells.

You hope that Undeath works like it does in Dark Souls, I guess.

That doesn't help because you just have to fight him and get hit by that attack again

wait, does standing in the zombie pool make you immune to the insta-kill because you're already dead?

i was thinking that wasn't the answer because it seemed too obvious
    That is in fact that answer. It's literally the only other thing you can do at that point other than "Don't stand in the pool and then die."
    You need to drop-attack the Taurus Demon!
    Tachyon said:

Crystal said:

Which is? Not at all? Somewhat?

They're quite a lot different, genre-wise.
    Oh, forgot that little detail. A fair bit. I've read a little bit about the genre differences (e.g. the Americsn focus on "the beautiful"), and the supposedly more frank nature for British ones. I'm thinking long as the feel is similar enough?

Or something. I'm on my phone so I'm being a bit sparse, heh.
    What about Telenovelas?
    What little I've seen of those has excited me, so.
    Naturalistic*
    Also one of the bigger roadblocks is how they tend to run forty some minutes to be honest.
    in terms of plot structure, and fantasy/stylization, i see US soaps as sorta halfway between the extremes of telenovellas on the one hand and Brit soaps on the other

having said which idk if i'd call Brit soaps *realistic*, because they tend towards the sort of sensationalism otherwise associated with the tabloids
  • edited 2016-06-07 19:03:55
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'll have to look more into it (natch). Right now my head is essentially a conglomerate of personal experience, remembered analyses, and half-remembered other stuff.

Also I did pseudo-edit that (which is where the half-remembered part comes in).
  • Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

There's a bit in FFX where you fight a zombie version of a boss you previously fought, and you can auto-kill him with a revive spell because zombies instantly die to revive spells.

You hope that Undeath works like it does in Dark Souls, I guess.

That doesn't help because you just have to fight him and get hit by that attack again
    I meant the fact that the end of the Age of Fire means that both the Death Soul and the Life Soul stop having effect, plunging the world into a state where both death and life mean nothing
    Okay sure.
  • I'm in bed at quarter to nine because I am exhausted.
    Toolsie said:

I'm in bed at quarter to nine because I am exhausted.

Relax with this!

• edited 2016-06-07 19:48:08
    ಠ_ಠ
    Already watched it.

I think I'm suffering from mild heat exhaustion.
    Ouch.

Unrelated: Fat Bat Tomo Flies have too much health, pls nerf (a little).
  • bored + still can't find jeans for sredni