The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Life update: still depressed, though not feeling as hopeless as yesterday

Slept 8 hours, which was nice, except I forgot the doctor's office closes at 4:30 and not 5:00

I did manage to call in time though, and got put on the cancellation list
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There's a street in my grandfather's neighborhood called "Fox Chaple Drive"

I don't think "Chaple" is a word.

Even if they meant "Chapel", what would a fox need a chapel for?
  • Foxes are sinners in need of redemption
  • There's a street in my grandfather's neighborhood called "Fox Chaple Drive"

I don't think "Chaple" is a word.

Even if they meant "Chapel", what would a fox need a chapel for?
    probably somebody's last name.

maybe someone named like idk Father George-Richard Fox.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's gotten to the point where someone says they really liked Captain America War Between The Suits and I think "Wow, don't have to take that person seriously on movies anymore"
    Many of the men behind these hugely powerful corporations seem to know very little or care even less about other people. This is a bold claim, but it may have some basis in brain science. The novelist Douglas Coupland has written that “all tech people are slightly autistic.” Autism can be a useful trait if you are seeking technical brilliance, but it can become a hindrance if a general naiveté about human beings is translated directly into the design of the products and services used by billions of other people around the world.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I thought the Grauniad was better than that
  • the guardian continues to

what's a word for "amaze" that has negative connotations

it does that
  • kill living beings
    stupefy
  • Anonus said:

I thought the Grauniad was better than that

the opinion section is consistently Bad

• kill living beings
  • stupefy

this is close
  • Odradek said:
    hmm I don't see what's wrong this isn't an original insight but it's basically -- oh

well then
  • kill living beings
    one of the things i'm getting out of aztecbook is that they were really bureaucratic

i wasn't expecting descriptions of lawsuits and accounting in between the human sacrifice and all
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, in my grandma's yard, there's an apple tree that I like to visit.  It often has robin nests in it.  Today, I found a broken egg at the root of the tree, and an egg that looked slightly... off in color in the nest, and was a bit bigger and more oval.  Upon consulting the internet, I found that European starlings do, in fact, sometimes do brood parasitism with Robins, and the egg I saw matched a starling egg.

However, I cannot bring myself to kill a living thing.  What should I do?
  • edited 2016-06-07 22:35:06
    find a starling nest and move the egg there?

okay I mean that sounds like an awful lot of work and I don't even know if there would be consequences to the starlings for adding an extra mouth to feed that way but if you really want to "do something" about it without killing or aborting any birds that's about all I could think of.
  • kill living beings
    no matter what you do, half of those birds are probably going to end up dead young
  • no matter what you do, half of those birds are probably going to end up dead young

what anime character does this remind me of fuck
    The first bird who realized she could leave her egg in some other bird's nest must have been real proud of herself
    To clarify something from this morning:

Princess Alice does have a huge motorcade. She just doesn't use it all the time.

She only uses it when she feels the need to be sufficiently ostentatious.

Like when I go back to the boarding school each fall and I arrive in this huge procession of black vehicles with police and royal guards and even an ambulance. Take that, Miranda Melsbrook!
  • kill living beings

no matter what you do, half of those birds are probably going to end up dead young

what anime character does this remind me of fuck
    death is the inevitable consequence of life. it's so foolish for you to persist, hero-kun

(2015 self)
    UPDATE:  My grandma got a ladder and killed it when I informed her.  Apparently she's done this before.

• wow, hardcore grandma
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    :(
  • grand-relative related fact: my great-grandmother was forced to install a gate in her fence when she could no longer vault over it

when she was in her 90s

brood parasites aren't always very subtle, i guess
  • "Harold, did we always have an egg that looked like a mint chocolate chip milkshake?"

"Yes dear, you're just imagining things. Go back to bed, honey."
    I'd post that creepy speech Shere Khan has in the new Jungle Book movie about the Cuckoo Bird, but it's not on Youtube
  • since you couldn't find that I'll post "Shere Khan" by Aesop Rock.

• kill living beings
    the website of the people who sell me voltage are asking "How does this site compare to your idea of an ideal website?"

how do i even answer that? do i have just one ideal? it's like i'm watching cspan and they're like "how does this compare to your ideal television channel" like shut up i just want to watch stupid charts on the senate floor right now maybe i'll watch jiggly jiggly heaven on another channel get off my back aaaaaaaaah oh nooooooo

the website of the people who sell me voltage are asking "How does this site compare to your idea of an ideal website?"

They want you to be aware of any potential differences.
  • kill living beings
    hey
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    all newspapers are kinda bad

at this point i'm getting kinda sick of the apparent anti-Guardian backlash i've been seeing

because yes, they've printed some bad stuff, but have you looked at The Telegraph?  Or even The Times?

the other day someone left a copy of The Sun open in the crew room at work, on an article critical of the prime minister's stance on Europe.  They apparently deemed it relevant to suggest that he is fat, and illustrate with photos of him patting his stomach.
    I've always held the Guardian in higher esteem than the rest of Britain's print media, because god damn
  • man, I'm not a huge fan, but at least The Morning Call doesn't do that kind of thing.
    tbf the Sun is the lowest of the low, most of them aren't that bad
    i generally find The Independent the most tolerable of the bunch
    well, i guess they align with my politics, is all that really means

lately i've been uncomfortably aware that they tend to pander to the left, and that their fact-checking isn't always great
    Nobody else seems to have dictatorship fantasies :<
    i prefer to rule my dictatorships from an authorial position, and let someone fictional and less scrupulous dirty their hands with direct rule
    what's the appeal of being a dictator? don't dictators kill people and stuff?
    Anonus said:

what's the appeal of being a dictator? don't dictators kill people and stuff?

You get to do whatever you want and everybody has to listen to you
  • edited 2016-06-08 00:10:39

hey now
    (2015 self)
    The way to improve print media is to remove politics and humor.

A-hem.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't know much about British newspapers

except page three models, which is apparently over, alas