The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Odradek said:

Crystal said:

That first blog is automatically crap. It got worse from there. Don't make me spam birds.

I'm more annoyed at nobody realizing a tumblr address might not be the address of a serious news periodical.
    Yeah, that's also ridiculous, granted.
  • My little brother started reading Homestuck.

*sniffs*
  • Odradek said:

I see retquality is setting in

On the one hand, it's hard for me to get angry at people deciding not to like the work of a monster, but on the other hand the general structure of the thing makes me vaguely sad anyway. Probably my problem.
    These lines are meaningless, and not funny: they are simply “references,”
    ok this person completely missed the very obvious humor of a nerdy jewish man comparing himself to Hitler

how do you fail this badly

I've retroactively decided that I love Manhattan just to spite this moron

Joan Didion is many things but she's not stupid. Humourless, though? You'd not be the first to make that assessment, although I think the issue is that her sense of humour is... weird.
    if you missed something that obvious you are at least having a very off day
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

My little brother started reading Homestuck.

*sniffs*

yay lil bro kex jr
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Odradek said:

I see retquality is setting in

On the one hand, it's hard for me to get angry at people deciding not to like the work of a monster, but on the other hand the general structure of the thing makes me vaguely sad anyway. Probably my problem.
    These lines are meaningless, and not funny: they are simply “references,”
    ok this person completely missed the very obvious humor of a nerdy jewish man comparing himself to Hitler

how do you fail this badly

I've retroactively decided that I love Manhattan just to spite this moron

Joan Didion is many things but she's not stupid. Humourless, though? You'd not be the first to make that assessment, although I think the issue is that her sense of humour is... weird.
    if you missed something that obvious you are at least having a very off day
    Yeah, but I also get finding it stupid and hollow regardless, despite the fact that I found it reasonably chuckle-worthy myself.
    I mean it's an article that was written decades ago, but it's only getting dragged out now because people are in the market for reasons to dislike Woody Allen as an artist due to recent horrifying revelations coming to light.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oh, I completely agree. Didion was talking about these films back when they were coming out; the context is entirely different, and the fact that people are trotting these out now feels a little dissonant and reachy.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Weird little details that are mostly forgotten by now: Unicorn magic in season one of Friendship is Magic wasn't color coded like it has been ever since season two
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    birb computer
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I noticed that.

I appreciate that, since before now you had to jailbreak your iPhone to be able to install f.lux on it.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

*sniffs*

yay lil bro kex jr
    Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

*sniffs*

yay lil bro kex jr
    Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

*sniffs*

yay lil bro kex jr

684a1c188abf129ef9741b3a5c1adf1f.615x342x1.png
    (2015 self)
    RESURGAM
  • Just went outside and was blinded by my own skin.
    There is going to be a TV movie remake of Rocky Horror, and people are angry, because they apparently do not know people in stage shows have been doing Rocky Horror without the movie cast for decades.
    Odradek said:

684a1c188abf129ef9741b3a5c1adf1f.615x342x1.png

cool hat
    People are far too willing to confuse LW's civilty with actual niceness
    oh shit
    Let's just forget the time they directed a hate campaign at a critic for the crime of not liking 4Chan or the time they were going really hard on the "Teach the Controversy" stance on Gamergate.
    I don't like 4Chan
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    "don't go to 4chan" –gigi

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “hello my fellow progressives. now, i’m a very left-wing guy. i’m about as lefty as they come. a real blue-triber. heck, i even vote democrat most of the time, and i’m a long-time hillary fan! doesn’t get much more left-wing than that.”

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “at any rate, just speaking as a left-wing progressive here, have any of my fellow blue-tribe lefties noticed that all leftists are evil and irrational and are destroying america with their sinister tendrils of gramscian damage? i sure have.” 

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “just speaking lefty-to-lefty here.”

• I for one certainly have

fuckin leftists
  • Gramscian Damage is the name of my politically oriented grindcore project

I approve of this hairstyle
  • I just found a chick tract in real life
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

I just found a chick tract in real life

I've found a few. I guess that's what living in a metropolis does to you.

People babble the "internet Ulysses" line because some Youtube video said that, but other than the fact that most of the (very long) story takes place during a single day, there are very few parallels. Homestuck comes across, to me at least, as a direct response to Eliot's Waste Land (a comparison aided by the fact that Hussie quotes it rather explicitly in what basically amounts to an epigraph). Homestuck begins basically with the world Eliot describes in his poem: a "heap of broken images," where an excess of cultural detritus has clogged the arteries of society and rendered life bereft of much meaning. Hussie's project takes those broken images--be they Nicholas Cage films, rap music, Gnosticism, the Greek zodiac--and stitches them together into a new cultural fabric. The trajectory of the work moves from disorder to order, as random details (in many times actually random, or at least outside of authorial control, as most of the first part of the story was created with reader input) coalesce into an organized, logical, and rigidly-defined patterns and grids. The work itself is organized with a kind of code logic (which makes sense, considering Hussie studied computer science), which sorts disparate objects into groups and recalls them as necessary to close all ambiguities--a stark contrast to the ambiguous works that have dominated English literature for the past century. If ambiguity is an irreconcilable, even necessary aspect of modernist and postmodernist works, Hussie manages to use the very themes and techniques of modernism and postmodernism to stamp out ambiguity and create something surprisingly coherent.

He does all this, meanwhile, with an unpretentious attitude unseen in the so-called post-postmodern literary "saviors."

• kill living beings
    hum.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The urge to not buy shlocky books is harder to fight than anticipated, and I was thinking I knew how intense it'd be.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

There is going to be a TV movie remake of Rocky Horror, and people are angry, because they apparently do not know people in stage shows have been doing Rocky Horror without the movie cast for decades.

didn't people freak out when NBC did their own stage show remake of The Sound of Music
    No, because that was not as much of a nerd adjacent property
    DENTON DENTON I'D JUST LIKE TO MENTION
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    British people spell judgment "judgement" and it always looks wrong to me.

there is gonna be a Tetris Cinematic Universe.
    (2015 self)
    Sound of Music is Broadway.  Climb Every Mountain is from Sound of Music.  Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang Climb Every Mountain.  Thus, Motab sang a broadway song.

A problem has been detected and Aliroz has been shut down to prevent damage to your pseudosuchian.  The problem seems to be caused by the following files: HATELIST.syecho.echo.

If this is the first time you have seen this error, restart your Alligator.  If this error occurs again, follow these steps:

Make sure all new thoughts or experiences are properly installed and compatible with existing worldview.  If this is a new Aliroz, ask your local haberdasher for help.

If Problems continue, disable or remove amygdala.  Disable GATR memory options such as cognition, metacognition, metametacognition, metametametacognition, or introspection.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your Aliroz, summon the incarnation of fate to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

more like 

• edited 2016-05-17 20:44:40
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

British people spell judgment "judgement" and it always looks wrong to me.

• edited 2016-05-17 20:49:20
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I prefer iudgemente.

I'm a Lykosthenes fan, you see.

No Doome like the old Doome.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • detuned square