The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• So I made a Sim who is a Gold Digger, and after several failed attempts at seducing the husband of a rich couple, she ends up seducing the wife instead.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    In Rayman Legends, there is a level based on Canadian independent horror movie Cube.
  • Cube is pretty well-known in the states, and its first sequel is a TV movie staple.
    Jane said:

Cube is pretty well-known in the states, and its first sequel is a TV movie staple.

Rayman is a French game. :P
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Toolsie said:

So I made a Sim who is a Gold Digger, and after several failed attempts at seducing the husband of a rich couple, she ends up seducing the wife instead.

can't believe this isn't the plot of a  Lauren Bacall movie 
  • She ended up marrying the wife after making them get divorced, and then immediately after they exchanged rings, the wife died.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Toolsie said:

She ended up marrying the wife after making them get divorced, and then immediately after they exchanged rings, the wife died.

I suspect foul play
    Toolsie said:

She ended up marrying the wife after making them get divorced, and then immediately after they exchanged rings, the wife died.

the game ain't easy, Tools

the game ain't easy
  • You don't understand.

I deliberately killed the wife so my Sim could get her Life Time Wish.
    ah

that changes things somewhat
  • edited 2016-05-17 23:47:03
    ಠ_ಠ
    My original plan was to marry the rich husband and then force him, his ex wife and their daughter to live in the cellar for a while whilst my Sim enjoyed their vast wealth, and then murder the family in a blazing inferno and get my Sim her LTW. However, the husband was having none of it so I targeted the wife instead, and just ended up deleting the husband and daughter.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Maxis Software presents SimSociopath
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Proving, once again, why Hatred is unnecessary 
    Finally finished the main game of Rayman Legends after buying it like, 2 1/2 years ago. It's a good game, although a little on the easy side compared to Origins, and the random panty shots are a really weird art design choice.
  • In Rayman Legends, there is a level based on Canadian independent horror movie Cube.

Wait, seriously? Huh. If so, which level? I don't know the movie, but I know Rayman.
    We need to watch Cube on the Stram
    Tre said:

In Rayman Legends, there is a level based on Canadian independent horror movie Cube.

Wait, seriously? Huh. If so, which level? I don't know the movie, but I know Rayman.
    The Amazing Maze.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

People babble the "internet Ulysses" line because some Youtube video said that, but other than the fact that most of the (very long) story takes place during a single day, there are very few parallels. Homestuck comes across, to me at least, as a direct response to Eliot's Waste Land (a comparison aided by the fact that Hussie quotes it rather explicitly in what basically amounts to an epigraph). Homestuck begins basically with the world Eliot describes in his poem: a "heap of broken images," where an excess of cultural detritus has clogged the arteries of society and rendered life bereft of much meaning. Hussie's project takes those broken images--be they Nicholas Cage films, rap music, Gnosticism, the Greek zodiac--and stitches them together into a new cultural fabric. The trajectory of the work moves from disorder to order, as random details (in many times actually random, or at least outside of authorial control, as most of the first part of the story was created with reader input) coalesce into an organized, logical, and rigidly-defined patterns and grids. The work itself is organized with a kind of code logic (which makes sense, considering Hussie studied computer science), which sorts disparate objects into groups and recalls them as necessary to close all ambiguities--a stark contrast to the ambiguous works that have dominated English literature for the past century. If ambiguity is an irreconcilable, even necessary aspect of modernist and postmodernist works, Hussie manages to use the very themes and techniques of modernism and postmodernism to stamp out ambiguity and create something surprisingly coherent.

He does all this, meanwhile, with an unpretentious attitude unseen in the so-called post-postmodern literary "saviors."

pffft ha ha ha
  • Cool. Looking at the description of the film, that makes far more sense than one would initially think.

I remember enjoying that one a bunch, though my favorite regular level has to be the Elevator Ambush from 20,000 Lums Under The Sea (though, really, that entire section of the game is wonderful).
    grape jelly.
    I sometimes wonder what the average Tumblr Marxist would say if you asked them to outline their actual problems with liberals without making jokes.
    u mad
    not clicking the clickbait

nosireee
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

... How is that different from The Cube, which we watched? :P
    they didn't have Ice Cube so he bought Vanilla Ice

Odradek said:

... How is that different from The Cube, which we watched? :P
    It is very, very different

It is an ontological mystery, like Five Characters In Search of An Exit and The Cube though
  • edited 2016-05-18 00:56:51
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Interesting.

I'd be up for it.
    The TvTropes page for Escape From Tomorrow doesn't have a large gratuitous quote from a  Channel Awesome personality but the Wikipedia page does

What has the world come to
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

People babble the "internet Ulysses" line because some Youtube video said that, but other than the fact that most of the (very long) story takes place during a single day, there are very few parallels. Homestuck comes across, to me at least, as a direct response to Eliot's Waste Land (a comparison aided by the fact that Hussie quotes it rather explicitly in what basically amounts to an epigraph). Homestuck begins basically with the world Eliot describes in his poem: a "heap of broken images," where an excess of cultural detritus has clogged the arteries of society and rendered life bereft of much meaning. Hussie's project takes those broken images--be they Nicholas Cage films, rap music, Gnosticism, the Greek zodiac--and stitches them together into a new cultural fabric. The trajectory of the work moves from disorder to order, as random details (in many times actually random, or at least outside of authorial control, as most of the first part of the story was created with reader input) coalesce into an organized, logical, and rigidly-defined patterns and grids. The work itself is organized with a kind of code logic (which makes sense, considering Hussie studied computer science), which sorts disparate objects into groups and recalls them as necessary to close all ambiguities--a stark contrast to the ambiguous works that have dominated English literature for the past century. If ambiguity is an irreconcilable, even necessary aspect of modernist and postmodernist works, Hussie manages to use the very themes and techniques of modernism and postmodernism to stamp out ambiguity and create something surprisingly coherent.

He does all this, meanwhile, with an unpretentious attitude unseen in the so-called post-postmodern literary "saviors."

are we supposed to find this stupid?

cuz i honestly don't see anything especially wrong with it
    No.

If I thought it was stupid, I would have said so.
    oh, ok

i asked cuz, Imi's response (who afaik hasn't read it)
    I did indeed read that. I thought it was funny.
  • edited 2016-05-18 03:37:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well by 'it' i meant Homestuck.

Why is the quoted passage funny?

i guess from my perspective . . . Calling it a direct response to The Waste Land seems a bit of a stretch (though hardly more of one than comparing it to Ulysses, and Hussie did indeed quote the poem), and i guess towards the end of the quoted post it gets quite opinionated, but i probably haven't read the 'literary saviors' being referenced since i don't know what authors that refers to, so i can't comment on that bit.  But the rest seems fine to me, and much like the kind of thing i'd expect to see in class i guess.
    DFW or Jonathan Franzen.

Imi is just being a grognard
    Oh, i have read a little DFW, nothing by Franzen though

i should go to bed, night
    the fuck is a grognard?

I just find it funny when someone compares, say, a webcomic to writers like Joyce etc. It seems so awkward, like when people try to make out that superhero movies are great cinema or something.

I have not read Homestuck. I have not read DFW either, but I'd be more likely to read him than Homestuck.

the fuck is a grognard?

I just find it funny when someone compares, say, a webcomic to writers like Joyce etc. It seems so awkward, like when people try to make out that superhero movies are great cinema or something.

I have not read Homestuck. I have not read DFW either, but I'd be more likely to read him than Homestuck.

http://neon-steeple.tumblr.com/post/144534222519
    cows will fuck your shit up
  • i get where you're coming from, but i don't feel that the comparison holds up

i mean, say what you will about either, but Homestuck is definitely artistically ambitious and boundary-pushing in a way that something like Avenging Mutant Men Who Avenge IV: Paladium Man's Civil Conflict isn't.

that isn't to claim that Homestuck succeeds in those ambitions as thoroughly as [insert widely canonized piece of postmodernist or otherwise radical 20th century literature here], but it actively tries at least in part to partake in that artistic tradition, and when discussing it that should be taken into account, at least to some degree.

imo
  • Palladium Man!

anyway some superhero comics are what I'd call postmodern.

I can't think of any superhero movies that are though.

Which is not a quality judgment necessarily, just saying.
  • at the very least, it undeniably aims to co-opt the signifiers of that tradition for aesthetic purposes
    The Palladium Megaverse
  • Jane said:

anyway some superhero comics are what I'd call postmodern.

I can't think of any superhero movies that are though.
    Homestuck might be more ambitious than Superhero Movie 29: The Revenge of Supervillain, but I dunno...every time I hear someone call it "great art" or something it strikes me as "I'm a nerd who wants my nerdy internet stuff to be justified as Serious Art because otherwise I feel insecure" or something like that.

Hussie did give us Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff which is a masterpiece of the decline of civilization, I'll give him that.
  • edited 2016-05-18 04:13:46

Oh yeah, i totally feel you on that.

but i definitely think that, given the way that Homestuck does riff on the sorts of cliches and tropes that are associated in the popular consciousness with Canonized Serious 20th Century Literature, when discussing Homestuck you kinda have to talk about the relationship between the two?

and if i have to look like a goofy dork on the internet to do it, i guess i'll just look like a goofy dork
  • THESIS: TED Talks are all ghost-written by high school juniors
  • THESIS: TED Talks are all ghost-written by high school juniors

seriously hari nef is a rad lady but this sounds exactly like an "as you know uwu feminism" tumblr post