The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    It's a book that's made popular entirely by Martyr Autism Moms who probably donate a lot of money and time to Autism Speaks
  • I remember when we read that book in grade 10 I told the class I was diagnosed with aspergers and they were shocked because I wasn't like the kid in the book.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Even besides everything else, the book honestly seems plainly poorly-written.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't know what "great art" is either
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    there are some things I want to do right now

"go to work" is, alas, not one of them
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Tachyon said:

i did recently get a prompt that was basically "You have been scheduled to upgrade to Windows 10 at [date/time]", with the option to cancel the upgrade.

That's still giving me the option to decline, but it's opt-out rather than opt-in.  i didn't consent to the scheduling.

i guess why this leaves a particularly sour taste for me is, like, the presumption of it all.  A Microsoft spokesperson even issued a statement that was basically, we know some people will get mad, but it's for your own good.  And i just feel like, how dare they?

I can see why that would be a source of irritation, yeah.

It's just weird to me to see tales of people who left their computer on overnight and found it running Windows 10 in the morning, because it's like...if you felt that strongly about it, why didn't you look up how to disable that to begin with?
    i can see myself doing that, tbh

like ok but, it scheduled itself to upgrade before i knew it was gonna do that

if i'd just left my computer on, unattended (i don't normally do this but i have before), it could have upgraded before i knew there was any risk of that happening

i haven't disabled it because once i have another computer up and running and have stuff backed up, it's still a free upgrade, that's pretty great, i kinda wanna see if this computer runs it but i wanna be on the safe side and i don't want to lose my computer

that and i'm just not sure i trust myself to go tinkering with registry values that i don't understand

i don't have stuff backed up, did i mention?  i was gonna, but i put it off, and then i had too much stuff to back up

the most important things are on pen drives but i don't want to lose any of it if i can help it
    In all seriousness, of all the things i've read, Homestuck reminds me most closely of Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds, much more closely than it reminds me of any other webcomic (setting aside Hussie's earlier work).

That's honestly what i think, this is not an argument for Homestuck to be taken as serious lit or anything like that, i just really can't think of anything i've read that it more closely resembles.
  • Homestuck is like Home Alone, it's about a kid who is at home by himself, basically the same thing honestly
  • kill living beings
    no his dad's there!! which makes it more like the novelization of Home Alone 2, in which
    Homestuck is proof plagiarism is okay

pretend i posted the complete text of house on the borderlands here i am tired okay
    You're all meanies.
    You are getting too worked up over Imi being a grognard.
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:20:44
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    No offense meant, honestly, but yeah.

Also I found the jokes funny.
    well that happened i guess

i can see where Imi is coming from though

also the Flann O'Brien thing was an actual observation
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:32:05
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    -
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:32:10
    -
    Oh god please do not hate yourself

You did nothing wrong.
    Nobody thinks what you said was dumb, you are fine.
    You don't understand and i can't stop.

i'm just gonna go.
    :(

We all really like you here
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Please calm down, Tach...
    i meant like go do something else, not quit hh forever
    Okay.

That is fine.
    Tachyon said:

In all seriousness, of all the things i've read, Homestuck reminds me most closely of Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds, much more closely than it reminds me of any other webcomic (setting aside Hussie's earlier work).

That's honestly what i think, this is not an argument for Homestuck to be taken as serious lit or anything like that, i just really can't think of anything i've read that it more closely resembles.

i'm upset that people read this and what they got out of it is 'tach is mad about something imi said' and not 'tach is of the opinion that homestuck is in some respects similar to at swim two birds'
    i want to explain everything i did subsequent to that  but i think i'll just dig myself a deeper hole if i try
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:43:00
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    My contextual basis sprung from, at the outset, talk of "(being an) insecure nerd," and seemingly escalated from there. I actually did read that, so it's more like... it looked like both. Which I thought, maybe wrongly, was self-explanatory?
  • kill living beings
    uh, i posted what i did just as nonsense, probably inane did also
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:44:33
    well like i wouldn't have kept thinking about it if i hadn't been upset and insecure, but i was thinking about that and came to that conclusion, and posted it because i thought it was a conclusion worth sharing, not because i was upset

the whole 'what is great art' thing perplexes me and At Swim-Two-Birds is a book that left quite an impression on me
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

i'm upset that people read this and what they got out of it is 'tach is mad about something imi said' and not 'tach is of the opinion that homestuck is in some respects similar to at swim two birds'
    I just read it as a factual statement.

Honestly, Hussie reminds me of Vonnegut and Pynchon in different ways. He's similarly earthy and obtuse, prone to surreal digressions and bringing them back as key plot elements, over-explains the obvious for humour's sake, has a vast and idiosyncratic reference pool, dabbles in the morbid and melancholic more often than one would think of a humorist, and has a friendly yet somewhat antagonistic relationship with his readership through the text.
    idk i just hate how i'm apparently unable to express myself without like this awkwardness that is happening right now
    i mean i guess the whole reason i felt it was worth posting is that like even setting aside 'insecure nerd etc.', that GENUINELY IS the thing Homestuck most reminds me of

like it would be the case whether or not we'd had that argument, that's the whole point i was trying to make

who even gives a damn whether i'm upset, that's beside the point

i want to know what art is
  • edited 2016-05-18 17:52:28
    i doubleposted and missed your post, sorry

Hussie reminds me of O'Brien a lot more strongly than Pynchon, but i see the comparison

Pynchon strikes me as . . . i don't know, but more difficult, less direct

Vonnegut is sort of halfway between the two, has the lightness of O'Brien but the darkness of Pynchon
    Can I just hug you
    yes please
    If it helps, Imi's posts really bothered me too.

Look at my remarks in the personal thread last night.
    i'm sorry you were upset.

*offers hug*?  i can't remember how you feel about those, sorry
    Hugs are awesome.

*hugs back*
  • edited 2016-05-18 18:04:54
    *hugs you, and hugs Odradek*

thanks for being understanding

k NOW i'm gonna go
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Kay now, they're gonna go now, get your nerd on, go, heeeey. Hey now, you're a particle, get your Tachy on, go plaaaaaaaay.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    and all that glitters is gooold

only Pinkie Pie breaks the mo-o-old
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    @Tachyon

why wouldn't being a comedy make it great art?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    down with the comedy ghetto!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Guess who gets to sit in a tiny open air train station for an hour in the dead of night!
  • Guess who gets to sit in a tiny open air train station for an hour in the dead of night!

at least it isn't in new jersey
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Worse, it's Swindon.
  • @ someone who has been to both which is worse
  • life update: Stalin's Memes is still really funny to me
  • I had a spot in my ear that I've managed to pop

YNTKT