The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• kill living beings
    i think my perception of ted started and finished when neuroscience club decided a tearful speech about a stroke-caused religious experience was what should be played
  • i can feel the gramscian tendrils inscrible themselves into my body
  • kill living beings
    am i supposed to read this as lovecraft horror or more of a sex thing, or both, or what
  • edited 2016-05-18 04:25:37

it's Leftcraft, Howard's less racist yet somehow more awkward cousin
  • kill living beings
    more awkward than the craft man sounds like a feat
  • alternately:

am i supposed to read this as lovecraft horror or more of a sex thing, or both, or what

Pounded In The Prosterior By The Tentacle Ghost Of Antonio Gramsci

by Chuck Tingle
  • I do want to clarify that i have absolutely no problem with a single fact or position stated in that video

maybe a quibble here and there, but nothing i'd even be willing to argue over, small potatoes

my issue is with the delivery
  • kill living beings
    that's how i read tumblr comparisons that aren't about television shows or cults
  • im low-key pretty sure that the whole "young liberals who grow up to be conservative" stereotype comes from media/arguments/texts like this, teenagers see them and agree with them, then they get older and realize that the whole thing reeks of bullshit, so they desert to seemingly more reasonable conservative ground, not realizing that the actual argument underneath the slathering of bullshit sauce is actually totally fine
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

im low-key pretty sure that the whole "young liberals who grow up to be conservative" stereotype comes from media/arguments/texts like this, teenagers see them and agree with them, then they get older and realize that the whole thing reeks of bullshit, so they desert to seemingly more reasonable conservative ground, not realizing that the actual argument underneath the slathering of bullshit sauce is actually totally fine

Oh goodness, so someone else has felt like this.
  • kill living beings
    i kind of figure it's something like that

like my mom who lived on a commune at berkeley and now... does not
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what about her?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    i made her picture large
    Watching videos of butthurt transphobes walking into Target and throwing tantrums like small children fills me with schadenfreude 

Especially because most of these dimwits record the videos of THEMSELVES because they're so proud of what they're doing
  • Everything feels so... Heavy right now. My head feels heavy, my limbs feel heavy, even my iPod feels heavy...
    I know that feeling well.

I found this kinda funny at first

Then I realized it's buying into the "Windows 10 upgrades happen without user consent" thing, which just isn't true

Sigh
  • It's technically not true in that if you Google some stuff you can turn it off, but most people don't know how to do that.
    I admit, I don't understand the thought process of the people who love Windows 8 and steadfastly cling to it instead of trying Windows 10

Like, clinging to Windows 7 I can understand, because it was significantly different, but Windows 8 and 10 are so much alike that I find it hard to believe anyone has a strong preference for one over the other

Some people cite the telemetry stuff as a reason for not upgrading but that's been backported to 7 and 8 so you're gonna end up with that either way...
    It's like saying you have a strong preference for a Nintendo DS Lite over a Nintendo DSi

They're different, yeah, and I can understand liking one a little better, but it seems like a weird thing to be passionate about when they'll both do the same things in the same way
  • I thought the major issue with Windows 10 was privacy. 
    Speaking of things changing without the user's consent:

I have several questions
    If you type "Ashley" enough times it stops looking like a word
  • My ex girlfriend was called Ashley
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Current train status: On a train.
  • My lactose intolerance is being a bitch right now.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    One of my CEO personae is Ashley Drake
  • *curls up in ball*

Third day straight of lactose induced stomach aches.

gdi
    I've been worried about security at my palace lately, so I decided to put up a new sign.

EVILDOERS PROHIBITED
    MORALLY-QUESTIONABLE-DOERS MUST CHECK IN AT GUARD STATION
    NO EXCEPTIONS

That ought to do the job, right?
  • What is you're questionably moral?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Homestuck might be more ambitious than Superhero Movie 29: The Revenge of Supervillain, but I dunno...every time I hear someone call it "great art" or something it strikes me as "I'm a nerd who wants my nerdy internet stuff to be justified as Serious Art because otherwise I feel insecure" or something like that.

Hussie did give us Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff which is a masterpiece of the decline of civilization, I'll give him that.

i know what you mean, actually.  Only, well, i am an insecure nerd, so it doesn't make me laugh, it makes me cringe from second-hand embarrassment.

i guess i'm not really clear on what quality makes 'great art' great art?  i can think of reasons not to consider Homestuck great art but most of them feel kind of superficial - it's a comedy, it's a fantasy, it has audiovisual and interactive elements, it's self-published.

i think for me what makes comparisons to canonical experimental novels awkward is, i actually *don't* think Hussie is trying to be part of that tradition?  i mean yes, i think Hussie was always looking for ways to push boundaries further, and in the process borrows some of the techniques of experimental lit.  But i think if you said to Hussie that Homestuck was the new Ulysses or whatever he'd probably say nah, he was trying to write something entertaining.  It's clearly meant to be enjoyed by a fandom, mostly teen audience, not the literary establishment.

i guess i feel like, Homestuck doesn't really feel like it belongs in literary discussions, but feels less out of place in relation to the indie comics market; it has a lot of text but it still pitches itself as a comic first and foremost.  i see no reason Homestuck shouldn't be acknowledged as significant within indie comics.  The distribution platform doesn't seem like a good reason to discount it.  It's much more interesting and creative than Watchmen, to my mind.

I found this kinda funny at first

Then I realized it's buying into the "Windows 10 upgrades happen without user consent" thing, which just isn't true

Sigh
    i did recently get a prompt that was basically "You have been scheduled to upgrade to Windows 10 at [date/time]", with the option to cancel the upgrade.

That's still giving me the option to decline, but it's opt-out rather than opt-in.  i didn't consent to the scheduling.

i guess why this leaves a particularly sour taste for me is, like, the presumption of it all.  A Microsoft spokesperson even issued a statement that was basically, we know some people will get mad, but it's for your own good.  And i just feel like, how dare they?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Sheldon from Boing Bong Bros is actually a less harmful autistic stereotype than that weirdo from Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night
    i can believe that.
    it seriously bothers me how long it takes me to do stuff

i thought it would take me 3 minutes to reply to Imi and CA there, it took closer to 50

even if i had a smartphone, i couldn't casually drop by HH between doing other things the way y'all seem to, it'd take me too long
  • Do not be fooled. I refresh the front page constantly sometimes.
    well fair enough, me too

this was just typing though
  • My dreams exceed my real life
     ‘Relativism’ (and its cousin ‘nihilism’) are both bogeymen constructed artificially by philosophers to scare the children. No one actually believes that all beliefs are equally good (relative in the noxious sense) or that nothing is any more desirable than anything else (nihilism).
    counterpoint: Satanism was a bogeymen constructed artificially by the church, and attracted people who felt at odds with society

i'd posit that a similar thing happened with relativism and nihilism, maybe?
  • edited 2016-05-18 14:29:40
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i guess to me calling Homestuck great lit is sorta like calling Zappa a great composer

like you could make a serious case for it but there are people who won't take it seriously, and your case is made harder by the fact that neither Hussie nor Zappa exactly aspires/d to the thing you're trying to present them as being

at the same time Zappa legitimately wanted to write classical music, and Hussie legitimately wants to push the boundaries of the medium he works in

and both are creative figures but they're also funny, and they tend to garner attention more from, like, fans, not the establishment

this might be a bad comparison, idk, i already feel kind of unsure about it
  • hey Tach I posted two new albums of mine in the music person's thread.
    Cool!

i will definitely check them out

probably this evening, though, i need to get on with stuff rn
    thanks
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Odradek said:

Sheldon from Boing Bong Bros is actually a less harmful autistic stereotype than that weirdo from Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night

I thought Curious Incident never identified the guy's condition. It's just everyone surrounding the book decided, "Yep, that sounds like autism" and it just became common knowledge that he must be autistic.
    Tachyon said:

i did recently get a prompt that was basically "You have been scheduled to upgrade to Windows 10 at [date/time]", with the option to cancel the upgrade.

That's still giving me the option to decline, but it's opt-out rather than opt-in.  i didn't consent to the scheduling.

i guess why this leaves a particularly sour taste for me is, like, the presumption of it all.  A Microsoft spokesperson even issued a statement that was basically, we know some people will get mad, but it's for your own good.  And i just feel like, how dare they?

I can see why that would be a source of irritation, yeah.

It's just weird to me to see tales of people who left their computer on overnight and found it running Windows 10 in the morning, because it's like...if you felt that strongly about it, why didn't you look up how to disable that to begin with?
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    MetaFour said:

Odradek said:

I thought Curious Incident never identified the guy's condition. It's just everyone surrounding the book decided, "Yep, that sounds like autism" and it just became common knowledge that he must be autistic.
    Addendum: But I can definitely understand why real people on the autism spectrum wouldn't want to be associated with the kid from Curious Incident.
    Car update: the windows have been repaired, and I got that oil change I was overdue for