The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm not criticizing you
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Fair, fair.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Crystal said:

The Amazing Atheist. I don't like calling him that, though.

I'm also fine with Jello, even if I don't find the channel amusing, and the points trite.
    You know, I get all up in antinatalist's beeswax because there's a strong weird undercurrent of racism in the community that doesn't seem tied to the idea of antinatalism at all, but internet atheism has an equally strong undercurrent of sexism that is equally unconnected to the core ideas being espoused.
    I guess the difference here is that /r/atheists will admit the Amazing Atheist doesn't like feminists, whereas antinatalists will just loudly pretend they've never heard of a certain person in their community of twelve people and hope the criticism goes away.
    presumably because you can't exactly make excuses for literal white supremacism
    The spirit animal of antinatalism is not a shark or an antelope, it's an ostrich
  • edited 2016-03-14 16:07:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well i guess you get people who make excuses for Moldbug and the like but there it's a stage removed, he uses coded language rather than outright slurs, i think?

This is basically how all their minds work
    work in a bit, closing shift

see you guys tomorrow maybe

when i will return to dump more negativity on the heap i will make a concerted effort not to do that
  • Guys, I went to the shops and found the most AMAZING pyjama pants.
  • They're really baggy.

Though considering all I really wear are skinny jeans...
  • Tomorrow will be a pyjama day.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    pyjama days are good days
  • And sine today is Pi Day, I'm going to eat a pie for tea.

The most pretentious sounding pie ever.
    Candide doesn't really disprove Leibniz, or do anything other than say "well sure bad things happen, but also, REALLY bad things happen" which I think Leibniz was aware of.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Candide was pretty funny, I thought
  • Sweet potato and goats' cheese lattice pie.
  • "Puff last pie filled with chunks of sweet potato, goats' cheese and spinach"

Candide was pretty funny, I thought

It's a good example of not saying anything worthwhile, but saying it in a witty way
    As opposed to saying something worthwhile in a totally dull and boring way, which is worse
  • I kinda suspect that he's like the Cinema Snob for me, where I would much prefer him using his real personality in his videos as opposed to contriving a character.

Me with Linkara

I kinda suspect that he's like the Cinema Snob for me, where I would much prefer him using his real personality in his videos as opposed to contriving a character.

Me with Linkara
    So very much
  • Tachyon said:

iirc markiplier is a gator, or expressed sympathy for the movement?  i might be mixing him with someone else though

either way i dislike his style

I'm like pretty certain he's very much not, if only because he seems to associate with people who are also very much not

I've never seen his videos but he seems like.... idk, just a really nice guy? Doubt I'd enjoy his stuff though, but he's also apparently did some good work related to him being abused at some point, or something like that?

I'm going off of not much at all here

I'm not sure if Linkara's personality would be endearing to me, either.

I know that Brad's would be, however.
  • edited 2016-03-14 18:21:23
    All I know is LPs are half predicated on humor and half predicated on legitimately liking the people doing it, it's why I can't watch Jontron era Game Grumps anymore.
  • Got to do a fucking personal risk assessment as part of my lab report write up.

It's stupid because the practical I'm writing up is the most fucking safest one there is. 
    Kexruct said:

All I know is LPs are half predicated on humor and half predicated on legitimately liking the people doing it, it's why I can't watch Jontron era Game Grumps anymore.

You forgot LP based on showing off the game
  • Was just listening to The Prodigy using my speakers, but then I remembered just how loud The Prodigy actually are. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Does Cinema Snob really put on that much of a character? Brad seems like the kind of person who really would snark at weird movies, albeit not really being angry at them.
  • Candide doesn't really disprove Leibniz, or do anything other than say "well sure bad things happen, but also, REALLY bad things happen" which I think Leibniz was aware of.

Candide wasnt going after Leibniz, it was going after the fashionable misinterpretation of Leibniz popular amongst aristocrats that was used as justification for why their lives were so cushy.

basically it was the pseudophilosphical equivalent of those televangelist prosperity gospel people
  • I'm looking forward to not having to work after today, honestly I'm getting antsy waiting for 10 PM

Six day weeks are exhausting
  • edited 2016-03-14 19:32:02

a lot of the things the book satitizes fall under the banner of "things that won't immediately make sense to most contemporary readers"

which makes the fact that it has stuck around for so damn long a testament to its stylishness

Does Cinema Snob really put on that much of a character? Brad seems like the kind of person who really would snark at weird movies, albeit not really being angry at them.

You're right about that.

I suppose it just bugs me that he has so much knowledge about and sympathy towards those movies, and the Cinema Snob character doesn't really allow him to actually exhibit these traits.
  • Ran around the block and back; back started giving out on me halfway through.

I'm going to have to get my bike working again before I can do exercise proper.
  • Kexruct said:

I'm looking forward to not having to work after today, honestly I'm getting antsy waiting for 10 PM

Six day weeks are exhausting

hangintherecat.jpg

You're right about that.

I suppose it just bugs me that he has so much knowledge about and sympathy towards those movies, and the Cinema Snob character doesn't really allow him to actually exhibit these traits.
    Gonna recommend DVD-R Hell again

You're right about that.

Gonna recommend DVD-R Hell again

I forgot about that. Thanks!
  • Don't you just love it when you make a huge amount of progress in The Sims 3, and then your game crashes just as you're saving it, so the game doesn't save.

It's great.
    Hm, Friends is on Netflix. I wonder if it's worth my time.
  • I suddenly have a great urge to write a concept album about a space god

Why oh why am I compelled to step on the coattails of the late David Bowie
  • Okay, so we're already ripping off Starman

The one lyric we're actually confident about is part of the title of a Young Thug song

And I'm pretty sure the song I'm writing now is basically electronic JoCo

Originality is haaaaaard
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Candide doesn't really disprove Leibniz, or do anything other than say "well sure bad things happen, but also, REALLY bad things happen" which I think Leibniz was aware of.

Candide wasnt going after Leibniz, it was going after the fashionable misinterpretation of Leibniz popular amongst aristocrats that was used as justification for why their lives were so cushy.

basically it was the pseudophilosphical equivalent of those televangelist prosperity gospel people

a lot of the things the book satitizes fall under the banner of "things that won't immediately make sense to most contemporary readers"

which makes the fact that it has stuck around for so damn long a testament to its stylishness

This is worth considering.
  • i wouldnt have mentioned it if it wasnt!
    I'm just pointing it out to the rest of the thread.
  • i remember my first copy of Candide i lent to this kid in my school therapy group, he loved it to bits. quite literally, i got it back absolutely destroyed!

but i had a spare, and i got to share a good book with someone, so it was alright with me
    That is a nice if odd story.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ricochet rabbit's time in warner bros. jail has taken its toll on him