The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • kill living beings
    THAT'S what that reminded me of, thank you

anyway should i try to figure out how to make kitsune udon (or some other udon)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    wut
    Purchase a large wooden spoon for the trouble-maker in your family or workplace. (That person who is always causing trouble, stirring up a mess and sticking their nose where it isn't wanted.) This gift says, "watch it, we think you're a pot-stirrer". For the less obtuse, this present is nicely pointed.
    Provide a set of knives to someone who back stabbed you. It doesn't have to be real knives; plastic toy ones from the dollar store still carry the message perfectly well.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Does the Netflix rating system have any use? Because I can avoid Asylum movies and find good movies already and right now all it does is remind me a bunch of people gave the new Guy Maddin film one star for god knows what reason
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Still wish I could turn it off.
    Me too
  • When we reach the sea, we will build a bigger ship, and sail north to take Trinidad from the Spanish crown. From there we'll sail on and take Mexico from Cortés. What great treachery that will be! Then all of New Spain will be ours, and we'll produce history as others produce plays. I, the Wrath of God, will marry my own daughter and with her I will found the purest dynasty the world has ever seen. Together, we shall rule this entire continent. We shall endure.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    will this timestamp look right?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    it does!
    My eight year old brother P_ stayed in his room yesterday while my dad's old friend visited.

Dad asked him why he did it, and P_ said that it wasn't like they were family, my dad said they were as much a part of the family as anyone else.

Later, Dad said P_ embarrassed him when he slammed the door and P_ "but they are family, and you can't feel embarassed with family!"
  • It's a nice, warm, sunny spring day.

Pros: I can go outside wearing just a tshirt and not look like a freak

Cons: Humidity.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in anime? When you bring up criticisms, is it not in reference to things you dislike?

This is my starting point: Anime has an aesthetic. Yes, #notallanime, but by and large, there is a collection of visual, dialogue, plot and characterization tropes that are common to the medium. I don't dig those visual, dialogue, plot or characterization tropes. I don't think it looks cool, or sounds cool, I don't respond to the dialogue ticks. They're annoying to me, or, if you'd like, they're silly in a way I dislike.

When I end up liking anime, it's when it avoids those things. Which does happen! But I'm not sure if you're saying the aesthetic isn't there (which I disagree with) or you're saying you shouldn't dislike an aesthetic (which I also disagree with). Yes, I can scour the world of anime for exceptions but why would I? I know they exist, they land on my door step sometimes, but life is too short to swim upstream for media. There's media everywhere.

• The sad thing is that it wasn't always this way. I mean, anime has always had some degree of consistency to it, but I have this distinct feeling that anime has become less diverse in a variety of ways since the 90s/early 2000s. 

The sad thing is that it wasn't always this way. I mean, anime has always had some degree of consistency to it, but I have this distinct feeling that anime has become less diverse in a variety of ways since the 90s/early 2000s. 

Dear god, please do not take that drivel seriously
  • It might not be a well-rounded and informed position, but it's not entirely wrong. And I'd really like to see improvements in anime, because I consider myself an anime fan in theory, but much of the current crop is too disinteresting to me. That's because, in part, it's "too anime" rather than "a story which happens to be filtered through anime". 

I wouldn't blame you for accusing me of wearing nostalgia goggles, but I do recall a time when anime was contending with the limits of what an animated series could achieve. Evangelion, Ghost In The Shell, FMA, and so on. And every so often, there's still a good show that comes out -- a recent-ish example that I could name is Madoka. But, for the good lord's sake, what did the medium do to deserve Sword Art Online and for it to become popular? My experience with anime has moved away from seeking new horizons and towards avoiding blandness, largely by necessity. 

And I do realise there's always been the good and the bad, and the bad has always occasionally become popular provided the right demographic interest (see: Dragonball Z), but I'll be damned if there isn't just a lot more mediocre anime to go around these days. 
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    And that, Baldanders, is why it's a bad idea take things you dislike, strip them of all context, and then post here with no explanation.
    MetaFour said:

And that, Baldanders, is why it's a bad idea take things you dislike, strip them of all context, and then post here with no explanation.

Ridiculous! It has worked so well in the past!
  • Another hard day of being an adult.

Done my weekly food shopping, cleaned my shithole of a room up, and now waiting to put my washing in the tumble dryer.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Also it's a copypasta, Alex.
    General rule is not to take anything Baldanders posts here seriously. He has taken shitposting to an exceptional level.
    Which was the original point of the Trash Heap anyway
  • I think that what Alex is complaining about is mostly a product of much more anime coming over here than there used to be?
  • because I think there's pretty much the same amount of good anime showing up, just a lot more mediocre stuff you have to wade through to find it
  • basically, as we in the anime community always do, we should blame Crunchyroll.
  • I also miss the Pelican pilot lady from Halo 1.
  • I love this huge-ass jacket, it makes me feel small
  • I have a giant hoodie that is several sizes too big for me. I disappear into it, and it's the best thing ever. 
  • I deserve a donut
    We all do
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm (re-)watching Phelous's review of the first Golden Films Beauty and the Beast

Beauty's face in this is less "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere" and more "Hokuto no ken can never be mastered by scum like you". It's all thousand-yard stare, all the time.
    birbs are important

but cows are importanter

rolls eyes out of head
  • kill living beings
    well i mean, yeah, it was pretty boring. so was 3d world usually, tho.
    games do not need story, jeez
  • They don't, though a good story can make a game significantly more memorable, and vice versa.
  • I talked to my no-show groupmate and she said that she couldn't make it for personal reasons. She seemed uncomfortable about it, and it's done anyway, so I didn't push it.
  • Cause of death: six day work weeks
  • I've been exhausted since two days ago and I still have another day left
    I feel bad for ya