The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Fly Like An Eagle always make me cry.

Largely because my father was killed in a freak accident during the making of "Space Jam"
    I'll make sure not to kill anyone during the making of "Space Jam II" then
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    You will be killing popular culture, that's all

You will be killing popular culture, that's all

I fucking love Looney Tunes, my version of Space Jam II respects who they are and what they do

The original Space Jam opens with some sickly-sweet clip of Young Michael Jordan becoming a prototype of his future self. This one opens with Daffy Duck moping about his lot in life and lashing out at his co-workers.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

anyway, its memetic status is because one of those bullshit music mags randomly declared it the Worst Song Ever

Also because it's from several of the same people who brought the world "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love", which is a weird swerve if a very long-term one.
    The only person still involved in Starship by that point was Grace Slick, I believe, which is admittedly still pretty remarkable.

For an even weirder swerve, take a look at the songwriting credits for "Kokomo" then get back to me.
  • "Kokomo" is a great song and I will hear no ill speak against it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    We're not speaking ill, hoss. It's just *weird.*
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    A hoss is clearly a horse without a butt.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also the "Kokomo" music video has John Stamos in it, because...yes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I always found it weird that they gave her the masculine spelling of "Francis" instead of the feminine "Frances"
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Have mercy
  • "that fool had incredible hair" - Earl Sweatshirt, on John Stamos

I always found it weird that they gave her the masculine spelling of "Francis" instead of the feminine "Frances"
    trans headcannon
  • Her license expired almost nine years ago.

Goddamn, I am old.

trans headcannon
    That...makes more sense than it has any right to
  • Tre said:

Goddamn, I am old.

fuck now i wanna watch the Christmas special again

see what you do to me, McCracken??

trans headcannon
    Or a simple spelling mistake

A first-season episode of PPG has "POPULOUS" where there should be "POPULACE" in a newspaper headline
  • kill living beings

Hoss?

• We can do anything if we do it together.

Have mercy

Suddenly, a vivid childhood memory.

It must have been 1998. Perhaps 1997, but no later than 1998. It's Christmas Day. The night before, Grandma, Uncle Joe, and Aunt Sarah had come over and we'd exchanged gifts. Grandma, bless her heart, always got super-cheap dollar store toys for us for Christmas. We didn't care, though. As long as I had my imagination, the quality of the toys didn't matter to me.

It was early afternoon...the time for opening presents around the Christmas tree had already come and gone. I was off in my room playing with some of the toys Grandma had given me the previous night, namely some die-cast cars and a track to launch them up. I don't remember the exact layout of the track, but it was yellow and had a plastic vise-style clamp to attach to a table to make a big ramp.

I played with the cars a bit then peeked out into the living room. My parents were sitting on the couch watching Rocko's Modern Life while my brother played on the floor. I remember the episode, too--it was the one where Rocko gets the flu.

This has been another episode of Random Childhood Memories with Central Avenue, brought to you by YNTKT Productions Ltd.
    More random Christmas memories: slot car racing sets were a thing my brother and I got more than once.

The first was in, uh, 1996, I think? It was a Tyco-branded one that had two Dodge Vipers, a red one and a yellow one. It had the trigger-style controllers...you know, the ones that look like toy guns with the barrel cut off. It was from my parents, I think.

The second one I got from Grandma in, I wanna say 2000 or 2001. It was a slightly bigger scale and had two different cars, I don't remember the exact models but they were sports cars. Again, oddly enough, one was red and one was yellow.

Then Grandma gave my brother one a year or two later. His was mostly the same as mine, but instead of the trigger-style throttles, it had the kind you hold in your fist and push down the button with your thumb. It had a police car and an ambulance, because we all know car racing is done with emergency vehicles.

The police car was always my favorite because it was the one car I could run at full power without it immediately jumping the track. It was heavy, just like a real Crown Vic, so it handled better when I gave it the full throttle.
    In choice of song subjects, Fallout Boy are basically a hair metal band now.
  • More random Christmas memories: slot car racing sets were a thing my brother and I got more than once.

oh goooooddddd

one of those toys that generally survived all of a week before breaking
  • edited 2015-11-09 01:46:02
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Heh.

I, being a natural-born engineer, always liked to try and stress-test things. I liked to gradually push down the throttle to see just how fast I could get it to go before it jumped the track. The police car won, hands down, to the point where I generally could only get it to jump the track if I accelerated it really quickly.

Thinking about it, I did that with my model train too. Gradually turn up the power until it derails. 'Course, it didn't jump off the track in a spectacular fashion like the cars did...it just sorta fell off the rails as it went around the curve.
  • edited 2015-11-09 01:46:20
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ not those guys
    This is an underrated Onion video 

That video is great.
  • kill living beings
    airport officials insist travelers are given the treatment they recieve
    @Tachyon: Do you know any good historical "crazy" witches I could name The _____ Institute for the Magically Unsable after?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    none that spring to mind, unfortunately
    aww
    At least St. Olga's Reform School For Wayward Princesses is named after a real-life princess
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    maybe ask Sredni?  he's good on mythology

or Jane, Jane knows lots of history stuff . . .
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

At least St. Olga's Reform School For Wayward Princesses is named after a real-life princess

St. Olga's Reform School for Mercilessly Burning Your Enemy's Homes To The Ground
  • @Tachyon: Do you know any good historical "crazy" witches I could name The _____ Institute for the Magically Unsable after?

Mother Shipton
  • she was a prophet in the same vein as someone like Nostradamus or Edgar Cayce. 

Unsurprisingly people (both of the time and now) think she is crazy.

Saint Walberga works for a couple of reasons.

Also, Mother Shipton.
    "The Mother Shipton Institute for the Magically Unstable"

that sounds perfect, thanks

also for punsies I can say it's located in Shipton Township
    I would have at least one reference to poor old Walberga around, though. After all, her feast day is the big damn witch party on the Brocken.
    I have more things that need names, I'll be able to work her in somewhere. :P
  • ben carson puts his hands on his temples and aquaman thought rings come out of his forehead. two thousand years ago, jesus receives a message that changes history.

the romans try to nail him to the cross. Nice Try idiots. jesus has belt buckles on his hands. the nails are deflected. they come at him with spears. guess again. that's right, buckles
    Gute nacht, all.
    good night
  • edited 2015-11-09 06:08:37
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Machspeed said:

lin_chong: so here's what happened.
    lin_chong: Yesterday in #rpgnet I mentioned offhandedly that I worked a bit on the idea of DnD with gunslingers. Wizards as gunslingers, rogues as derringers, etc.
    lin_chong: And this one guy thinks; "Hey, clearly, he's talking about CURSED GUNS."
    lin_chong: Which I am not.
    lin_chong: And he really likes it, and decides to do a game on it.
    lin_chong: And asks me to help out on it.
    lin_chong: And that's how I'm working on an RPG but witholding my best ideas because they clearly have nothing to do with this.

Central Avenue 👸
    Anonus 🐉
    Naney 🐱
    Crystal 🐦
    Imi 🐮
    Miko 🐺

Fossilmaiden 🌙