The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Thought: the heaper most likely to become a crazy cat lady is Naney, and he's not even a lady!

I'm basically already a crazy cat lady, just in gif form
  • edited 2015-10-23 23:13:20
    Why is it so hard to find manual cars in my budget ;_;

I just want to stroke my ego just a little bit
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't even know how to drive a manual transmission, so you've got that over me, at least.

I drive a 1991 Mercury. Not exactly the most luxurious car...
  • I'm looking for cars under 2000 which is already hard enough

But my dumb ass just haaaaaas to get a manual
  • that's weird, 'round here manuals are cheaper cuz no one knows how to drive 'em.

Of course I can't drive at all so lol
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I paid $2000 even for my car. It's a '91, but it only had 89,000 miles on it when I got it.

Of course, that's both a curse and a blessing, 'cause it means it's right at that stage where stuff starts to get worn out and I've had to have a few things replaced on it since then. But it was the best I could find with the budget I had, really...
    For comparison, my '94 Toyota Corolla had well over 200,000 miles on it by the time its engine finally gave out.
  • that's weird, 'round here manuals are cheaper cuz no one knows how to drive 'em.

Of course I can't drive at all so lol
    There just AREN'T any damn manuals around here! Cheaper, more expensive, either way
    I can't see anything that sticks out as an obvious red flag, but oftentimes the problems with a car don't become apparent until you test drive it.

So, uh...see if you can test drive it maybe?
  • Will do. I only have like 2300 in the bank right now, how hard is it to convince them to let me put in a down payment?
  • edited 2015-10-24 00:46:12
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Tucker said:

I'm looking for cars under 2000 which is already hard enough

Look at the bright side - nowadays almost nobody knows how to drive manual (it was seriously like 15% in-the-know, 10% in-practice like five years ago), so out of whatever percentage of people are car thieves, they themselves should have the same fraction of manual-capable drivers, and thus your investment is a lot safer.
    Tucker said:
    Used cars are always cleaned up before sale. It helps sell the vehicle. You'd have to go and ask questions about the thing (as well as getting a look at the underside of the car) to get an idea of what kind of condition it's in.

Admittedly there's a lot of weird and not great advice out there, and I'm nowhere near as much of a car guy as I used to be. I will say that as far as negotiation and used goods sales go, don't be afraid to ask questions, take note if someone refuses to answer something or gives you a weird answer, and note that anyone who is annoyed by questions is possibly trying to intimidate you into not asking and almost certainly has something they don't want to admit about their item. Also, the web has moved on a bit since I first learned of this tip, but it would help to look up forums for the particular model of vehicle and look at their maintenance sections to get an idea of what usually fails on them and how much it costs to repair/if it's stuff you can do yourself.

Oh! Also. If a deal is starting to look good, be sure to ask for a CarFax or some other third-party info on the car (http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0055-buying-used-car, ctrl-F "independent review") to make sure the vehicle hasn't been stolen/in a flood/et cetera. It might cost some money, so do this after you're sure you want the vehicle assuming everything you've heard about it is true.

Here's a list of things that will give you some basic info giving an idea of the condition (and thus value)of the car. It'd be a good idea to make a list of these things and check em off/write comments as you go. Stuff with an asterisk (*) before it will probably require that you ask a mechanic to look at the car. Two asterisks (**) means you'll get that out of, for example, CarFax.
    • Mileage
    • **Maintenance history
    • **Collision/disaster/theft history
    • Electronics functionality (lights, turn signals, et cetera; you'll ahve to turn them on one at a time and walk around the car to make sure they all work. Lights can be replaced on the cheap. Electronics less so.)
    • Seatbelt functionality
    • Seat functionality (eg, just make sure you can
    • **Parts replaced
    • Current oil change date (should be a sticker on the windshield in one of the corners)
    • *Current brake condition (easy to replace pads, rotors less so; it's all pretty standard stuff to replace in a car, but it'll still cost hundreds, generally)
    • **Last emissions test and emissions test history (succeed, fail, etc.); catalytic converters (the big chunky component of your muffler) are not cheap.
    • *Current engine condition: This is a very complex one and without having a mechanic completely tear down the engine you won't get a perfect answer. IIRC a mechanic can check some basic stuff fairly quickly, though, such as spark plug condition (easy to replace but still might give you an idea of any potential problems with the engine).
    • Rule of thumb test: Do this while checking the electronics. Check exhaust smoke colour.
      • All of these problems would be a bit labour-intensive to solve other than (potentially) the black smoke problems. If you're still interested in the vehicle I would get it checked by a mechanic and get an estimate for repairs. This would be part of your bargaining toolset.

It's all slightly tedious, but the more thorough you are in checking a car, the more information you have about it, the more confident you can be in your purchase, and the better you can barter with the dealer/seller. I would generally recommend buying used from individuals than car services, but you'll want to check out used cars with a friend or family member just for your own safety.

EDIT: Added a bunch of advice

Also don't fall for this trap:

BUYER: This car I test drove has [major problem that would cost an absurd amount to fix]!
    SELLER: Well, I am only asking $2000 for it!
  • Also don't fall for this trap:

BUYER: This car I test drove has [major problem that would cost an absurd amount to fix]!
    SELLER: Well, I am only asking $2000 for it!
    well do, but only if you're buying the car from me.
  • also Tucker I left a v important message on your activity page.

it'll tell you....THE TRUTH
  • someone

should buy me a surface book

cuz im cute, and i deserve it for being cute
  • Tucker said:

I'm looking for cars under 2000 which is already hard enough

Look at the bright side - nowadays almost nobody knows how to drive manual (it was seriously like 15% in-the-know, 10% in-practice like five years ago), so out of whatever percentage of people are car thieves, they themselves should have the same fraction of manual-capable drivers, and thus your investment is a lot safer.
    Tucker said:
    Used cars are always cleaned up before sale. It helps sell the vehicle. You'd have to go and ask questions about the thing (as well as getting a look at the underside of the car) to get an idea of what kind of condition it's in.

Admittedly there's a lot of weird and not great advice out there, and I'm nowhere near as much of a car guy as I used to be. I will say that as far as negotiation and used goods sales go, don't be afraid to ask questions, take note if someone refuses to answer something or gives you a weird answer, and note that anyone who is annoyed by questions is possibly trying to intimidate you into not asking and almost certainly has something they don't want to admit about their item.
    Part of the reason that one stuck out to me is that it had a free Carfax and everything on it looked good. I don't know enough about cars to ask any good questions.
  • edited 2015-10-24 00:47:17
    ^Hey, for some reason I spent half an hour writing down tips. Take a look at that post again.

Free CarFax is a nice bonus, but also check to see how much CarFax costs to begin with.
  • Whaaaaaa I'm sorry I didn't notice that! I'll look at it right now.
  • i will give you car advice:

* buy this car:

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • what does one do with a twitter exactly
    say stupid things for people with no attention span, which are then repeated as being Profound Truths or some shit
  • My dreams exceed my real life

say stupid things for people with no attention span, which are then repeated as being Profound Truths or some shit

This is known as the Aaron Haspel strategy.
    Thank you, that was a sweet own on a man none of you have ever heard of, or will hear of again.
    can't say I've heard of him
  • edited 2015-10-24 02:11:29
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm running a game in about two hours. Here's some information about it. Here's a link, we're doing Hangouts video call. You need a microphone, but not a video camera.

If you're joining the call, please don't use speakers, and use headphones instead.
  • :3 said:

i will give you car advice:

* buy this car:

nahn I've had my sights set on that one car that's decorated with Nanoha iconography
  • :3 said:

what does one do with a twitter exactly

Repost information that some other people tell you about, and occasionally use that information to refute others' contentions.
  • the purpose of twitter is to dunk on nerds
  • edited 2015-10-24 02:16:06
    N E V E R  M I N D
  • ooh, Nanoha iconography
  • edited 2015-10-24 02:17:56
    I might hang around if I'm still awake, though I'll probably be busy and just listening.
    one of my favorite C&Hs
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    simp
  • edited 2015-10-24 03:41:24
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Regretfully, Adventure Log 1 has vanished.
    Regretfully, Adventure Log 2 has vanished.
    Regretfully, Adventure Log 3 has vanished.
    PegasOS 5.1.1
    © 2008–2015 Alicorn Systems Ltd.
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

PegasOS 

snort. nice
  • edited 2015-10-24 04:43:04
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Time for Operation Games Plus Music, Part 5. May this attempt see fruition.

If anyone that regularly sees me outside of HH notices me playing, say, BoI: R, and feels like it, prodding me to put on some music crap is appreciated. >_>;

(Only typing it here because telling everyone I regularly talk to when I'm this tired is too much work, really.)

PegasOS 

snort. nice
    Tre deserves the credit for that one, actually. He came up with it a couple years ago when I was rambling about marketing smartphones to otherkin and I was like "yes, that's perfect."
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    excellent work, Tre.
    the karma police
    b