The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

Surely someone must have enjoyed Nickelback, or they would not have had so many hits.

Payola is a thing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I suppose.

I mean, people liked Justin Bieber. People liked Vanilla Ice. Nickelback???
    Bieber and Ice had novelty on their side.
  • I thought people actually did like Nickelback in the 2000s
    The word "Payola" just makes me think of TvTropes poster mammalsauce
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i never heard of payola before

Nickelback are not offensively bad, but i wouldn't buy any of their albums.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13144869240A44890300&page=4 Let us all remember the time I trolled on TvTropes and almost got away with it, but not really because I got worried and deleted the posts.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tools said:

Probably should go wash the blood off my forehead and hands instead of doing the sudoku in the staff room... >_>

This is wonderful without context, by the way
  • edited 2015-07-07 20:42:38
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

i never heard of payola before

Like I said, it's a thing that happens.
  • Tools said:

Probably should go wash the blood off my forehead and hands instead of doing the sudoku in the staff room... >_>

This is wonderful without context, by the way
    *bows*

I thank you.
  • r/nocontext
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i don't think i really wanted to be reminded that icycalm exists
    I feel like people are more likely to want the optimistic prediction to be true, but they're more likely to believe the pessimistic prediction on little evidence.
    Calica said:

i don't think i really wanted to be reminded that icycalm exists

He has defenders and it's deeply confusing to me.
    "I imagine the reason why Icy claims that video games can't have good stories is because "story" is defined (by Merriam-Webster) as "an account of incidents or events" and the word "account" here implies non-interactivity. Hence, "stories in games" is an oxymoron.

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13144869240A44890300&page=8#ixzz3fF5J74hB"
  • Okay, the Nostalgia Critic poking fun at himself has gotten to the point of being disturbing

I'm worried he's stopped using his finger and is now using something pointy and dangerous, is what I'm saying.
    I stopped following Todd on twitter around Jurassic World time, and my life has improved.
    i'm glad
    has it seriously gotten that bad?
    Odradek said:

I stopped following Todd on twitter around Jurassic World time, and my life has improved.

Good.
    you know, it's not hard to see the stuff in jurassic world complaining "how are dinosaurs no longer exciting enough" as "how was the first jurassic park not exciting enough"
    Some things have been coming out lately.
    the moral of jurassic world is clearly "this movie shouldn't exist"
  • Tachyon said:

A 2 and a half minute short at the beginning of the latest video.

This is becoming a thing

Tachyon said:

A 2 and a half minute short at the beginning of the latest video.

This is becoming a thing
    He's reaching Game Overthinker levels!!!
  • edited 2015-07-07 21:31:04
    BEWARE OF GRRL!
    Calica said:

the moral of jurassic world is clearly "this movie shouldn't exist"

had I watched it yet I would have said "and the same is the case for Minions"

Universal seems to be becoming the master of franchise films that shouldn't exist (Despicable Me 2 pales in comparison to its predecessor, which is actually one of the best non-Disney/Pixar mainstream animated films in recent memory)
  • Calica said:

you know, it's not hard to see the stuff in jurassic world complaining "how are dinosaurs no longer exciting enough" as "how was the first jurassic park not exciting enough"

An incredibly unsubtle metanarrative that the movie only pays lip service too. Jurassic Park was a movie, in part, about the unpredictability of nature and its apathy towards our sense of morality. Jurassic World was a movie where Good Dinosaurs kill the Bad Dinosaurs and convert a Bad Dinosaur to a Good Dinosaur through the redemptive power of killing another Bad Dinosaur.

Also the only death the movie seemed to actively relish was the British lady, which is lovely.

does Minions outright imply that the consumer is responsible for everything that goes wrong, though?
    Kexruct said:

Calica said:

An incredibly unsubtle metanarrative that the movie only pays lip service too. Jurassic Park was a movie, in part, about the unpredictability of nature and its apathy towards our sense of morality. Jurassic World was a movie where Good Dinosaurs kill the Bad Dinosaurs and convert a Bad Dinosaur to a Good Dinosaur through the redemptive power of killing another Bad Dinosaur.

Also the only death the movie seemed to actively relish was the British lady, which is lovely.

Actually it's about how much content consumers love consuming content, and they should all die for that.

Which is a harsh message, but one we need.
  • Tachyon said:

does Minions outright imply that the consumer is responsible for everything that goes wrong, though?

it was a cheap shot
    If you think Jurassic Park 1 was an intelligent movie, you haven't seen it in a while
    Kexruct said:

Calica said:

i couldn't tell whether that was because she was foreign, or because she was a 'career' woman.  i could buy that it was just intended for horror, but then, why was nobody else's death that drawn out or humiliating?  Except perhaps that of the Indominus itself.

tbh i thought 'science is bad and we are fools to meddle' was a fairly overt theme in Jurassic World which i've seen no comment on

i think the attack on the consumer was more effective than you're implying, though

it possibly misfired a little, given that i was left with the impression that merely enjoying the spectacle was itself a fault.  i felt Simon Masrani was a flawed, tragic figure.
  • edited 2015-07-07 21:45:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i liked Jurassic Park and Jurassic World because they had dinosaurs and dinosaurs are rad.

Both movies set out to create the ultimate perfect theme park and then completely trash it, but only Jurassic World suggests that your enjoyment of the park was itself part of the problem.

i think that's because while Crichton was delivering a fairly bog-standard moral about genetic engineering, Spielberg really loves to create spectacle.  If Jurassic Park had just been a straight tour of the park, it would not have sold nearly so well, but i would still have enjoyed it as an imaginative ultimate dinosaur experience.

To me the simple enthusiasm for an imaginary world and its inhabitants and a desire to experience it is the most intuitive way to engage with entertainment, and Jurassic World attacked that.  To me that was quite unsettling.
    Odradek said:

If you think Jurassic Park 1 was an intelligent movie, you haven't seen it in a while

i haven't actually seen it >_>
    obviously, though, the genetic engineering that caused the dinos to go berserk was the one that made them not have feathers
  • Calica said:

Odradek said:

i haven't actually seen it >_>
    may the gods continue to smile upon you
    i read part of the book once but mostly remember it talking about like cray x-mps and such

Well
    Jurassic Park is not a movie about science, and if you insist on viewing it as such you will have no fun

it is, imo, a good film
    Calica said:

obviously, though, the genetic engineering that caused the dinos to go berserk was the one that made them not have feathers

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/i-didnt-even-have-a-joke-for-this-week
    Odradek said:

Well
    I feel there were funny lines, but the Eastern philosophers seemed poorly researched compared to the Western philosophers.
  • What is winning?
  • my dad bought me a navy seersucker blazer from the gap but he insisted on getting me a medium and im like 75% sure i need a small
    idk much about Eastern philosophy so i couldn't tell

ERB has started to feel like an old joke to me lately, but that was a decent one i think

i liked how they ended up arguing amongst themselves, as philosophers in the same tradition predictably would.
    I'm not sure that anything can convince me to click on an ERB video, TBH.
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Well
    I feel there were funny lines, but the Eastern philosophers seemed poorly researched compared to the Western philosophers.
    Accurate

It's still better than anything else they've put out in the last month, so I ain't complaining