The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life

I'm not sure that anything can convince me to click on an ERB video, TBH.

It's not as bad as you might think
  • naney said:

my dad bought me a navy seersucker blazer from the gap but he insisted on getting me a medium and im like 75% sure i need a small

its such a cute jacket too

life is suffering
  • what is it with american relatives and them being convinced you are larger than you in fact are
  • thank you, american side of the family, this shirt is nice, but i'm a xs/s in british sizing and this american medium makes it look like i am wearing a bedsheet.
  • i wear size 38 blazers (48 for you europe types), which is usually a small here, i think that's a medium in most of europe?
  • i wear smalls in allllmost everything except for t-shirts because i still have a bit of a belly and also i have a longish torso proportionally speaking so size small t-shirts can tend towards being too short
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Calica said:

you know, it's not hard to see the stuff in jurassic world complaining "how are dinosaurs no longer exciting enough" as "how was the first jurassic park not exciting enough"

An incredibly unsubtle metanarrative that the movie only pays lip service too. Jurassic Park was a movie, in part, about the unpredictability of nature and its apathy towards our sense of morality. Jurassic World was a movie where Good Dinosaurs kill the Bad Dinosaurs and convert a Bad Dinosaur to a Good Dinosaur through the redemptive power of killing another Bad Dinosaur.

Also the only death the movie seemed to actively relish was the British lady, which is lovely.

Actually it's about how much content consumers love consuming content, and they should all die for that.

Which is a harsh message, but one we need.
    But it didn't commit to that moral. I felt like its character inconsistencies (The park owner going from not caring about money at all to not wanting to kill the iRex because it was too expensive to resenting the people's need for spectacle to actively participating in the engineering spectacle, Pratt railing against the weaponization of dinosaurs despite being the one who uses them as weapons in the end) framing issues (the female lead did /absolutely nothing wrong/ but was put in an unsympathetic light, Pratt was a sexist cock but treated like a lovable hyper competent nice guy) and general resentment of its audience both stands in stark contrast to its predecessor (Jurassic Park wasn't genius or anything, but it at least respected its damn audience) and never really outweighs the moral that it kinda-sorta goes for.

I find it troubling that you were okay with the moral "Content Consumers must die" as well, anyway.
  • i find it troubling that
  • naney said:

i find it troubling that

Yes, those were the words I used. Do you think I should have used other ones?

Well content consumers ruin everything.

Anything that harms their staid complacency is good.
  • But it hasn't. Because it didn't commit to its theme and "Content Consumers" ate it up anyway, because it provided everything they wanted.
    Not that Jurassic World will do that, as no force on earth will do that.
  • philosophy content
  • dae think that plato was a fantastic content producer?
    Kexruct said:

But it hasn't. Because it didn't commit to its theme and "Content Consumers" ate it up anyway, because it provided everything they wanted.

Nah, they found it distasteful, But this moment of distaste was not enough to prevent gorging themselves.
  • thinkfluenced by Hegel
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    this again

i just don't understand how investment in a fictional world can be creepy or contemptible

for me it's the easiest, most natural way to engage with a work of fiction, it's the way that feels most right to me

and i can well understand how, if you want to see more of the setting and characters you liked, a bad or unfaithful adaptation would be a disappointment

of course some people generate lengthy tirades about how awful the unfaithful adaptations were, and then watch the next one, and generate more tirades, and so on endlessly

such people could benefit from the gentle reminder that it's all fiction anyway and 'canon' is an imaginary concept and they are under no obligation to watch anything more

but i'm not sure why this needs to be so savagely attacked
  • because it is insufficiently thinkfluenced by the acceptable thinkfluencers
    i could accept it from Jurassic World because i thought it was supposed to be disturbing, and it was effective in that respect

and yes i thought the ending fight was silly, but it made me laugh so that's no bad thing imo
    Tachyon said:

this again

i just don't understand how investment in a fictional world can be creepy or contemptible

for me it's the easiest, most natural way to engage with a work of fiction, it's the way that feels most right to me

and i can well understand how, if you want to see more of the setting and characters you liked, a bad or unfaithful adaptation would be a disappointment

of course some people generate lengthy tirades about how awful the unfaithful adaptations were, and then watch the next one, and generate more tirades, and so on endlessly

such people could benefit from the gentle reminder that it's all fiction anyway and 'canon' is an imaginary concept and they are under no obligation to watch anything more

but i'm not sure why this needs to be so savagely attacked

CA_Supermovies_10-28-2014-21.jpg
  • odradek why have you been trying so hard lately to be the embodiment of that im not like other girls picture
    naney said:

odradek why have you been trying so hard lately to be the embodiment of that im not like other girls picture

Because I don't like boredom, and also I hate everything and everyone.
    The MCU sucking is the only thing I agree with the late Gabriel Duquette on
    yes that sure is a list of upcoming superhero films

it sure must be interesting, and perhaps exciting, for a comic book fan who wants to know what superhero films are coming out in the future

it is quite uninteresting to me, a person who does not care about superhero films
    sorry if that's too sarcastic, but really, it's just to let comic book geeks know what superhero films are coming out

if this is about 'the next few years of your life' well that's silly phrasing but that's really all it is
    Jack Black made a throway comment about there being too many superhero movies at the Oscars last time, and nerds pitched a shitfit.
    nerds will pitch a fit about anything
    I didn't bring it up this time.

But I will stop.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8909553/pewdiepie-7-4-million-response-felix-kjellberg-youtube The media is really uncomfortable at recognizing that Pewdiepie does what 5 billion people did, were doing when he started, and continue to do, and that he was just the one that got absurdly lucky.
    Embedded image permalink
    http://calvinonoir.com/ I am very disappointed this isn't about Qfwfq solving mysteries.
  • Odradek said:

http://calvinonoir.com/ I am very disappointed this isn't about Qfwfq solving mysteries.

naney said:

Odradek said:

Calvin Noir would also be acceptable.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

How does splash mountain keep making pictures that look so terrible and outdated?

Presumably they just haven't updated the cameras in ages
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Who here still has a MeredithChat account from back when Princess M tried to make that a thing?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Who here still has a MeredithChat account from back when Princess M tried to make that a thing?

fuck what even was my username on that thing

How does splash mountain keep making pictures that look so terrible and outdated?

I've heard Universal Studios has better technology than Disney, because they have more to prove
  • edited 2015-07-08 00:52:38
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Whenever this comes up, Myr always replies willfully with abtrusive things or non-answers and basically just does not want to explain his position, or expects these to do so for him.

We should just ignore him whenever he brings it up.

He hates it, we don't, let's move on for fucking ever.

Also, Eastern philosophers vs. Western philosophers? Not even going to watch that.
    MachSpeed said:

Whenever this comes up, Myr always replies willfully with abtrusive things or non-answers and basically just does not want to explain his position, or expects these to do so for him.

We should just ignore him whenever he brings it up.

He hates it, we don't, let's move on for fucking ever.

Also, Eastern philosophers vs. Western philosophers? Not even going to watch that.
    I didn't bring it up this time!!!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Alright, you didn't, but you couldn't help yourself either, could you?
    Yes, I hate myself all the time, and I'd erase myself if I could, and I'm sorry
    i'm sorry for the part i played in that.

It's a subject that hits a nerve for me.
    Chairwoman Anonymous sez: less bickering, more secret society stuff
  • Tachyon said:

i could accept it from Jurassic World because i thought it was supposed to be disturbing, and it was effective in that respect

and yes i thought the ending fight was silly, but it made me laugh so that's no bad thing imo

The ending fight was silly in Park too, but it served a direct thematic purpose. The end fight of World only really undercut what came before it.
    no i mean it wasn't just silly, i was actually laughing in the cinema

i couldn't stop

i did not have that reaction to Jurassic Park, although to be fair i was somewhat younger when i watched it
    Please don't
  • How does splash mountain keep making pictures that look so terrible and outdated?

But Disney has all the money. can't they just throw a bit of that at splash mountain?