The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    For $1000, which of the following do the Princesses of Centralia NOT eat?

(A) Chocolate

(B) Ice Cream

(C) Doughnuts

(D) Bagels

(E) Maple Syrup
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    bagels?
  • honestly, Allentown just makes me think of "200 Years Old" by Frank Zappa

I was sitting in a breakfast room in Allentown, Pennsylvania . . .
    Six o'clock in the morning . . .
    Got up too early . . .
    It was a terrible mistake . . .
    Sittin' there face-to-face with a
    75¢ glass of orange juice
    About as big as my finger
    And a bowl of horribly fore-shortened corn flakes
    And I said to myself
    "This is the life . . . "

Allentown is a sad, sad city.

Not because of Latin Kings or whatever else old shallow people are complaining about these days. The melancholy there is much longer-rooted than that kind of thing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

bagels?

Correct! It's a scientific-and-also-magical fact that Princesses are the only known species that can survive on sweets alone.
  • one thing I have learned how to do recently--and it's a trick I jacked wholesale from The Field--is to take very very short vocal samples, like, single syllables, and stretch them out over a whole track like you would any other instrumental riff. You can do very interesting things with them and it gives them a humanizing element.

It's also a good way to allude to other songs without necessarily referencing them overtly.
  • edited 2015-07-07 03:14:33
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    That just makes me want to visit it more. I mean, I want to visit Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, and Centralia more, but it's still a city. Though I also have no idea what's so sad or melancholic about it. Shrug
  • Crystal said:

That just makes me want to visit it more. I mean, I want to visit Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, and Centralia more, but it's still a city. Though I also have no idea what's so sad or melancholic about it. Shrug

There is a pervasive sense of "long past its glory days"-ness.

Not just in Allentown but also in Bethlehem, Jim Thorpe....most largeish cities up here in Lehigh-Carbon to be honest. It's hard to explain, really. I suspect Detroiters feel something vaguely similar.
  • also, if you're talking about the PA city, you shouldn't go to Centralia, for a lot of reasons.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    He wasn't the best babysitter either
    Kierkegaard rocks
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

also, if you're talking about the PA city, you shouldn't go to Centralia, for a lot of reasons.

isn't it actually dangerous, since you could have a sinkhole open up underneath you?

also, if you're talking about the PA city, you shouldn't go to Centralia, for a lot of reasons.

ur just jealous she doesn't wanna go to Janesville
  • also, if you're talking about the PA city, you shouldn't go to Centralia, for a lot of reasons.

ur just jealous she doesn't wanna go to Janesville

http://www.mapquest.com/us/pa/janesville

seems to be a bit of a Neffs-Laury's "four houses and a gas station" sort of town.
    Calica said:

isn't it actually dangerous, since you could have a sinkhole open up underneath you?
    yes, also the few remaining locals are a little out there.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Planet Jane said: Crystal said:That just makes me want to visit it more. I mean, I want to visit Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, and Centralia more, but it's still a city. Though I also have no idea what's so sad or melancholic about it. Shrug

Not just in Allentown but also in Bethlehem, Jim Thorpe....most largeish cities up here in Lehigh-Carbon to be honest. It's hard to explain, really. I suspect Detroiters feel something vaguely similar.

Well that's dreary, yeah, I see what you mean.
    Planet Jane said:also, if you're talking about the PA city, you shouldn't go to Centralia, for a lot of reasons.

All of the Centralias, but the PA city for sure. Although I'd always had the idea that'd be a
    bad idea, I'm curious anyway. Maybe I've missed or forgotten something when I'd read months back.
  • how are they out there?

folks who the government has to sue to try to get them to leave a town that is literally on fire do not tend to be the most stable of folk.

I think there's less than a dozen of them now, though.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

yes, also the few remaining locals are a little out there.

Oh. I, uh, did not know about that. Yeah, I doubt it'd ever happen, but that doesn't mean I don't want to still visit it. Or toy with the idea of it, what with being a ghost town and all.

It's still just a curious... depressing sorta place.

how are they out there?

folks who the government has to sue to try to get them to leave a town that is literally on fire do not tend to be the most stable of folk.

Last I heard at least some of them were convinced that the fire had "moved on" and the government was trying to evict them so they could get their greedy guvament hands on the coal beneath the ex-town

So, uh, yeah

Last I heard at least some of them were convinced that the fire had "moved on" and the government was trying to evict them so they could get their greedy guvament hands on the coal beneath the ex-town

So, uh, yeah
    very rural Penny of them.
  • Crystal said:

I think there is sort of a similar vibe in the U.P. (upper peninsula of Michigan). Not a whole lot is going on and the population of the area has declined a good bit over the years, I guess in part because the mining industry up there is far from what it once was. That said, if you like nature, it is not a bad place to visit (in the summer at least).
  • LW said:

Crystal said:

I think there is sort of a similar vibe in the U.P. (upper peninsula of Michigan). Not a whole lot is going on and the population of the area has declined a good bit over the years, I guess in part because the mining industry up there is far from what it once was. That said, if you like nature, it is not a bad place to visit (in the summer at least).
    really I think it describes many places in America, each with its own unique take on the atmosphere

around here it's the decline of the steel mills mostly.
  • on this album so far I have sampled Celine Dion, Iron & Wine, Carrie Underwood, Cutty Ranks, and ZUN.

if nothing else, I have a wide sample base.
  • should I make a seperate thread for this conversation??
    I like the capitalization of "planet JANE"
  • I like the capitalization of "planet JANE"

me too

I may stylize it that way from now on.
    C:\Users\Planet Jane\Documents\List of Gifts I'm Buying Centie This Month.docx
    ZUN
  • ZUN

"Steelfog" samples a bit of "U.N. Owen Was Her", though it's backgrounded and processed enough that it's not immediately obvious.

C:\Users\Planet Jane\Documents\List of Gifts I'm Buying Centie This Month.docx

if only
  • seriously how are Centralia's remaining locals "out there"
    Centralia's kind of an interesting topic but I've never wanted to go there
  • seriously how are Centralia's remaining locals "out there"

I answered u regarding this already.

right

I knew it was inherent but I was wondering what personality traits they had :n

right

I knew it was inherent but I was wondering what personality traits they had :n
    you have to be on some next-level paranoia to believe that the mine fire that has been blazing underneath your town for decades has disappeared and the government is plotting to take your land.

Like they are, almost literally, living in a house that's on fire while denying it's on fire
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Guys, I'mma play the Joan of Arc campaign from Age of Empires II this week.

If I start crying and getting all emotional, you know what is going on.

(2015 self)
    Last year, it was an animorphs marathon for my summer feels trip, this time, another blast from the past.
  • edited 2015-07-07 04:24:39

Aliroz said:

Guys, I'mma play the Joan of Arc campaign from Age of Empires II this week.

If I start crying and getting all emotional, you know what is going on.

Is Age of Empires 2 any good? I never played it and I always love a good strategy game.
    (2015 self)
    It is very good.

And it is an absolutely masterful strategy game, in my opinion.
  • Okay, I'll have to check it out.
  • ive been watching black lagoon and listening to nu-metal and the richard d james album all day ama
    (2015 self)
    Then again, I was raised on it before I was old enough to know better.  

You might be better asking the opinion of someone who has actually played Starcraft, or Warlords Battlecry.
  • naney said:

ive been watching black lagoon and listening to nu-metal and the richard d james album all day ama

are you sufficiently Aphex Twin yet
  • i like the album more than i did

milkman is still corny in a bad way tho
    SYRUP TSUNAMI SHOCKWAVE!!

(2015 self)

SYRUP TSUNAMI SHOCKWAVE!!

I so want to see that show.
  • it's a little weird, it's a little wild
  • naney said:

ive been watching black lagoon and listening to nu-metal and the richard d james album all day ama

How are you enjoying Black Lagoon?
  • naney said:

i like the album more than i did

milkman is still corny in a bad way tho
    with Rick I like his ambient work, kinda ravey stuff, and then Syro.

Never was a fan of the Windowlicker era for lack of a better term.

Also I just realized now that Aphex Twin and MF DOOM have had oddly similar career trajectories.