The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• How would one ask Bandcamp whether they lose a lot of money if I just pay US$1 in a credit card purchase?
  • Tolkien does, admittedly, rise above this sort of thing on occasions, in some key scenes, but often such a scene will be ruined by ghastly verse and it is remarkable how frequently he will draw back from the implications of the subject matter. Like Chesterton, and other orthodox Christian writers who substituted faith for artistic rigour he sees the petit bourgeoisie, the honest artisans and peasants, as the bulwark against Chaos. These people are always sentimentalized in such fiction because traditionally, they are always the last to complain about any deficiencies in the social status quo. They are a type familiar to anyone who ever watched an English film of the thirties and forties, particularly a war-film, where they represented solid good sense opposed to a perverted intellectualism. In many ways The Lord of the Rings is, if not exactly anti-romantic, an anti-romance. Tolkien, and his fellow "Inklings" (the dons who met in Lewis's Oxford rooms to read their work in progress to one another), had extraordinarily ambiguous attitudes towards Romance (and just about everything else), which is doubtless why his trilogy has so many confused moments when the tension flags completely. But he could, at his best, produce prose much better than that of his Oxford contemporaries who perhaps lacked his respect for middle-English poetry. He claimed that his work was primarily linguistic in its original conception, that there were no symbols or allegories to be found in it, but his beliefs permeate the book as thoroughly as they do the books of Charles Williams and C. S. Lewis, who, consciously or unconsciously, promoted their orthodox Toryism in everything they wrote. While there is an argument for the reactionary nature of the books, they are certainly deeply conservative and strongly anti-urban, which is what leads some to associate them with a kind of Wagnerish hitlerism. I don't think these books are 'fascist', but they certainly don't exactly argue with the 18th century enlightened Toryism with which the English comfort themselves so frequently in these upsetting times. They don't ask any questions of white men in grey clothing who somehow have a handle on what's best for us.
  • people may become senile, people's opinions and causes may change, and people will always die at some point

objects only last as long as their construction and maintenance lasts
    they can also be destroyed

the only permanents are ideas
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

Tolkien does, admittedly, rise above this sort of thing on occasions, in some key scenes, but often such a scene will be ruined by ghastly verse and it is remarkable how frequently he will draw back from the implications of the subject matter. Like Chesterton, and other orthodox Christian writers who substituted faith for artistic rigour he sees the petit bourgeoisie, the honest artisans and peasants, as the bulwark against Chaos. These people are always sentimentalized in such fiction because traditionally, they are always the last to complain about any deficiencies in the social status quo. They are a type familiar to anyone who ever watched an English film of the thirties and forties, particularly a war-film, where they represented solid good sense opposed to a perverted intellectualism. In many ways The Lord of the Rings is, if not exactly anti-romantic, an anti-romance. Tolkien, and his fellow "Inklings" (the dons who met in Lewis's Oxford rooms to read their work in progress to one another), had extraordinarily ambiguous attitudes towards Romance (and just about everything else), which is doubtless why his trilogy has so many confused moments when the tension flags completely. But he could, at his best, produce prose much better than that of his Oxford contemporaries who perhaps lacked his respect for middle-English poetry. He claimed that his work was primarily linguistic in its original conception, that there were no symbols or allegories to be found in it, but his beliefs permeate the book as thoroughly as they do the books of Charles Williams and C. S. Lewis, who, consciously or unconsciously, promoted their orthodox Toryism in everything they wrote. While there is an argument for the reactionary nature of the books, they are certainly deeply conservative and strongly anti-urban, which is what leads some to associate them with a kind of Wagnerish hitlerism. I don't think these books are 'fascist', but they certainly don't exactly argue with the 18th century enlightened Toryism with which the English comfort themselves so frequently in these upsetting times. They don't ask any questions of white men in grey clothing who somehow have a handle on what's best for us.

Old stuffy british dudes gettin' angry at old stuffy british dudes ITT
  • edited 2015-02-22 18:53:19
    hey @CentralAvenue

have you played this?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Videogame/AWitchsTale

this line made me think of you

"Everything's Better with Sparkles: Pretty much wherever you touch with the stylus, sparkles appear."

this line also made me think of you

"Everything's Better with Princesses: Each of the lands [spoiler removed] is ruled by a Princess."
  • it's fun watching tolkien getting the shit get beaten out of him
    I am biased because Tolkien produced The Hobbit, which is a good book, and Moorcock produced Behold The Man, which is a wretched worthless piece of garbage.
  • Does all literary criticism eventually devolve into finding ways to call a work fascist? Because it's starting to seem that way.
    Nothing can be bad, it must be politically pernicious.

Not enjoying something is just your brain's way of telling you it has bad politics.
  • That is true for some things but "they listen to Gandalf, ergo fascism" is a straight up fuckin' stupid argument.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The next poster's arms ARE NOT BLUE!!!!!
  • oh nooooo the giver is on
  • kill living beings
    i blame adorno
  • Panurge said:

I am biased because Tolkien produced The Hobbit, which is a good book, and Moorcock produced Behold The Man, which is a wretched worthless piece of garbage.

moorcock has written hella garbage but at least he's fun
  • honestly my full criteria for determining the quality of media is just "is it fun"
  • edited 2015-02-22 18:53:32

The next poster's arms ARE NOT BLUE!!!!!

i missed the opportunity to argue with this as a mega man fan

also i wrote something for you earlier this page
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ooh, I missed that!

No, I haven't played that, but it does sound somewhat Centian. I'll add it to that list I keep forgetting exists. ^_^
  • I wish we had another Samurai Jack. A show that just has a few main characters and just puts them into different situations. Like an animated Quantum Leap.

I just wish we had more Samurai Jack

that show was incredible
    At the very least IDW is publishing Samurai Jack comics, so if you're really hankering for more Samurai Jack, you could read those, but yeah I wish there was more Samurai Jack too.
  • whimsical things that have greater meaning
  • naney said:

oh nooooo the giver is on

I saw The Giver and I was, like, personally offended. It had all the subtlety and emotional depth of a Wikipedia article.
  • i really like the set design at least?
  • The set design is occasionally beautiful and sometimes just generic dystopia. I like it for the most part, though.

I wish I could do a play by play of all the ways they fucked it up. The movie has NO faith whatsoever in its audience. The entire time it's like "Hey, did you catch that Jonas doesn't have a last name? Hey, did you catch that they use very polite, stilted language? Hey, did you catch that they're not supposed to lie?"
    I didn't even like the book that movie was based on, so I'm going to watch the movie about the same time Rick Astley gives you up
  • Kexruct said:

Does all literary criticism eventually devolve into finding ways to call a work fascist?

drawing on my experience as both an undergraduate and postgraduate student of literary studies, i would say, yes. hope you found this post useful and also enlightening.
  • terry eagleton is a dude who works at my higher education institution and certainly all of his works eventually devolve into calling something fascist. except if he's writing about morrissey. then he just writes about how great morrissey is.
  • i have to write a pointless 500 word book review and i have to say i have never been less assed to do an assignment than with this one
  • but isn't morrissey a fascist
  • yes. it's very ironic
  • sunn wolf said:

Kexruct said:

Does all literary criticism eventually devolve into finding ways to call a work fascist?

drawing on my experience as both an undergraduate and postgraduate student of literary studies, i would say, yes. hope you found this post useful and also enlightening.
    Mostly I find it a bit depressing.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Tolkien, to me now, is interesting mostly because he was obsessed with Time.

He might've been sorta fasho too, but, whatever
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tolkien wasn't a fasho but he was a conservative
    Imipolex has the right to remain silent. Anything he moos can and will be held against him in a barn of law
    I choose to waive that right.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • that viet cong album is good
  • sunn wolf said:

that viet cong album is good

update: i had the album on shuffle by accident, its still good even in the wrong order
    "Rubbish" is a word british people use to dis things they know are secretly good
  • why is it so hard to find a blazer without lapels
  • why is it so hard to find a bumpton blazer
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    naney said:

honestly my full criteria for determining the quality of media is just "is it fun"

dude that's great

i've been getting into a whole bunch of stuff about the value of a work because it has some sort of deeper philosophical meaning

and that's great and all, but sometimes these kinds of people have trouble remembering that they're supposed to be enjoying things and some things are worthwhile just because they're a blast
    pig
  • there's lots of ways media can be good

fun is one

it can also be powerful, interesting, original, etc

deeper philosophical meanings are, as a general rule, overrated

the best media is all of these things but fun actually is probably the most important
  • a really good vocalist i know suggest i collab with her after hearing my synth trackks and im slightly scared because i know nothing about music production and she wants to do music as a Serious Thing but hey
  • Spider-Man: His costume is vastly different from both the comics and his depiction on the poster, differing both in design and color. He is also depicted as a villain, with none of his abilities from the comics. His only unusual ability shown is the apparent power to come back unharmed from death multiple times and use of a switchblade and guinea pigs as a form of weaponry.
    Guy Standing sitting
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Acererak said:

Huh. Yeah, it does. I mean, basically everyone on the show is sociopathic until the mandatory "but we really love each other" bit near the end. That's basically Fairly Oddparents in a nutshell.

I thought of Invader Zim when you said that.

Invader Zim makes no compunctions about everybody being normal people at heart. They're terrible and we know that. No veneer of normalcy
    There are moments of legitimate empathy here and there, but it is true that what makes the show work is that there is never any false veneer of optimism painted on its misanthropy. At its worst, it is just pointlessly nasty, but at its best, it is delightfully uncompromising.