The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I wish we had another Samurai Jack. A show that just has a few main characters and just puts them into different situations. Like an animated Quantum Leap.

I just wish we had more Samurai Jack

that show was incredible
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Johnny Test is a bowl of unflavored lukewarm porridge that's constantly screaming at you
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    hey! I like porridge
  • I always thought that tumblr though John Green and Rainbow Rowell = good while E.L. James = bad
    Unflavored, lukewarm
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Panurge said:

Johnny Test is a bowl of unflavored lukewarm porridge that's constantly screaming at you

with obnoxious flash animation that is uninspired.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Anonus said:

Anonus said:

The Bronze Age of CN? What were the Golden Age and Silver Age?

I'm glad you asked.

The Golden Age was the era of Cartoons Cartoons. Everything was new and fresh and experimental. New cartoons were brought in by the bushel. Creators had power! 

The Silver Age started around when Staples became CEO. The zaniness was toned down a bit, more new material was brought in from other channels. Samurai Jack and Juniper Lee brought continuity to the network for the first time. Adult Swim happened, allowing for the Golden Age experimentalism to continue on a smaller scale. All in all, a period of maturity .

don't forget, during the Golden Age they showed reruns of The Classics too, before the media "don't focus on anything more than a few years old" mentality set in
    True. Boomerang was also part of the streamlining process that the Silver Age did.
    Boomerang was once SO boss but I take issue with its narrow distribution
    (2015 self)
    Panurge said:

It's funny how they had a great run on All-Star Superman, and then All-Star Batman immediately killed the project.

All star Superman is my Dial H.
  • I wish we had another Samurai Jack. A show that just has a few main characters and just puts them into different situations. Like an animated Quantum Leap.

I just wish we had more Samurai Jack

that show was incredible
    I would also take more Samurai Jack
  • edited 2015-02-22 03:56:33
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Panurge said:

Johnny Test's long run is inexplicable in part because by the end, it very much came off as the kind of throwaway kids' show that doesn't get made anymore, and never lasted more than a season or two when it was.

George of the Jungle was an attempt to revive a 1960s Jay Ward cartoon that I need to watch
  • Acererak said:

???

Don't most tumblr people like John Green?
    a hahahahaha
    Aliroz said:

Panurge said:

It's funny how they had a great run on All-Star Superman, and then All-Star Batman immediately killed the project.

Meaning what?
  • Panurge said:

What bugged me the most back when I still watched TV was that it was so clearly a ripoff of Dexter's Laboratory.

Red-haired geniuses who make stuff, blonde sibling who screws it up, teenage antagonist with a bowlcut, etc. 

It's one thing to make a terrible show. It's another to poorly rip off a show that actually has merit. Imagine if 50 Shades of Grey was fanfiction from Harry Potter instead of Twilight. That's how it felt to me.
    It always felt more like warmed-over Butch Hartman to me.
  • Huh. Yeah, it does. I mean, basically everyone on the show is sociopathic until the mandatory "but we really love each other" bit near the end. That's basically Fairly Oddparents in a nutshell.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't like Chowder either. But I don't hate it.

@Klinotaxis: But I thought you were already my sister?

All-Star Superman is great and I reread it at least once every year.

You should also all read Multiversity, which is also pretty great.
  • Huh. Yeah, it does. I mean, basically everyone on the show is sociopathic until the mandatory "but we really love each other" bit near the end. That's basically Fairly Oddparents in a nutshell.

I thought of Invader Zim when you said that.

• edited 2015-02-22 04:05:30
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Panurge said:

It always felt more like warmed-over Butch Hartman to me.

funny, when Butch was at H-B, Dexter's Lab was one of the shows he worked on (as were Johnny Bravo and Cow and Chicken)
  • Acererak said:

Huh. Yeah, it does. I mean, basically everyone on the show is sociopathic until the mandatory "but we really love each other" bit near the end. That's basically Fairly Oddparents in a nutshell.

I thought of Invader Zim when you said that.

Invader Zim makes no compunctions about everybody being normal people at heart. They're terrible and we know that. No veneer of normalcy
    Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Acererak said:

I have no idea how Frank Miller went from writing Batman: Year One to writing All-Star Batman and Robin

Simple: Hubris, self-satisfaction and a limited range, wedded to dreadful personal politics and ideas about the world.

Panurge said:

"It doesn't matter who you vote for, just vote" is a weird sentiment.

If you want to vote for candidates I don't agree with, I am perfectly fine with you staying home.

I am not going to support laws keeping you from voting, but I'm not gonna make you vote if I don't want your candidate to win.
    by the same token, the quotation "I disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it" - whoever said that, I dunno - is weird too.
    That was Voltaire, and honestly, I agree with it for the most part. But I also agree with Karl Popper's assertion that a truly tolerant society must be tacitly intolerant of intolerance, which complicates things.

To put it as simply as I can, I think people have the right to say, short of calls to harm others, whatever they want, but that same right applies to those who wish to call them out or marginalise them should those words be hateful or wilfully ignorant.
    A candy colored clown they call the sandman
    "that koopa has opinions he wants to share with me" - raocow

"that koopa has opinions he wants to share with me" - raocow

Panurge you are drunk

Panurge you are drunk

yes but you love boobs. Tomorrow I will be sober, but you will still love boobs.

There is probably some place to go with this.
    Churchill you are not, alas.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Breasts In The Year 2050
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    "Tomorrow I will still be ugly, but you, you will still be Churchill."
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Panurge said:

If you want to vote for candidates I don't agree with, I am perfectly fine with you staying home.

I am not going to support laws keeping you from voting, but I'm not gonna make you vote if I don't want your candidate to win.
    it's an understandable sentiment if you think that the problem with american politics is voter apathy and not voter suppression
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Calica said:

Panurge said:

it's an understandable sentiment if you think that the problem with american politics is voter apathy and not voter suppression
    It's kinda a combination of both, as far as I understand it.
  • I think it's more that voter apathy is a byproduct (one favorable for the status quo) of voter suppression.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    We had to give our golden retriever away after I moved back to Singapore. No room for a big dog like Daisy.

My dad gave her to one of his colleagues a couple of years ago. Today, I saw a picture of her on the guy’s social media, commenting on how he’s going to buy her a red collar for Chinese New Year.

"I love you my daughter," the message went on to say.

First off that’s creepy.

Second of all, I got mad jelly.

Third of all, you all need to know how much I miss my dog.

I think it's more that voter apathy is a byproduct (one favorable for the status quo) of voter suppression.

Yeah, that does make sense.

I think I was thinking of the people like Imi who are on the Democrat side of things but can't be bothered to actually vote for them, in addition to the very real suppression of Democrat votes among certain other demographics that occurs.

I think it's more that voter apathy is a byproduct (one favorable for the status quo) of voter suppression.

Yeah, that does make sense.

I think I was thinking of the people like Imi who are on the Democrat side of things but can't be bothered to actually vote for them, in addition to the very real suppression of Democrat votes among certain other demographics that occurs.
    It's not just Democrats; it's any party that challenges the status quo from the left. The Republican establishment fears the Democratic minority vote, but both parties fear the destruction of their two-option monopoly on national politics.

Which I think may finally begin to make death preparations in my lifetime, praise Glob.
    Iiiiiiiiiii... need to sleep.

Goodnight, everybody. Talk with y'all tomorrow.
    Good night, Sredni.

I hope that you're enjoying your weekend.
  • I think it's more that voter apathy is a byproduct (one favorable for the status quo) of voter suppression.

voter apathy is a (intentional?) byproduct of policymakers breaking the legislative system for political gain and then turning around and telling voters how much the government sucks so therefore they should get rid of government.
  • "hey look how dysfunctional government is!  that's why we should get government out of people's lives!"

no, it's only dysfunctional because YOU AND YOUR BAND OF ASSWIPES got yourselves elected and then MADE it dysfunctional by breaking things everywhere
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

Stereotypically Centian confession: As a kid I always thought it was real cool that Mister Rogers had his own traffic light:

you know, I thought that was actually pretty cool, too
  • You're listening to Galaxy Radio 999, The Astro-Train
  • i think the anime fans i run into care to speak of things as spoilers because a lot of them have seen parts of a show and they'd recognize things like the characters or such and have a context in which to process a spoiler

meanwhile it'd be more spoilery to tell ME that i'm looking at a spoiler
    because i havent' even seen the show

if you didn't tell me i'm looking at a spoiler
    I WOULDN"T EVEN KNOW IT IS ONE
  • wait i could try playing that one idomaster game that's in english

i wonder what it's like
  • breakfast can wait

making sure videogame music files play right is a priority
    (2015 self)
    Panurge said:

Aliroz said:

Panurge said:

Meaning what?
    A Comic we adore and which we wish was more popular.
    Oh, okay
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    We would probably lose a lot of trash can lids if we didn't have the hinged kind, thinking about it
  • Take up the White Man's burden, Send forth the best ye breed
      Go bind your sons to exile, to serve your captives' need;
    To wait in heavy harness, On fluttered folk and wild--
      Your new-caught, sullen peoples, Half-devil and half-child.

I love you too Rudyard Kipling
  • "I-It's not that I'm calling you a savage, primitive race because I like you or anything!"