The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• The sadness will last forever.
    my hippie brethren
    tfw you've been single for a couple years
    goodbye.
  • You know, I rewatched Tim Burton's Batman and The Dark Knight.

I think a big theme of these two are how Batman and the Joker are both isolated from society, and how the both of them are the only people who really understand how each other's minds work. Think of the "you made me" sequence at the climax of the Burton films' Batman, or the "you're just a freak, like me" part in TDK. 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    i saw birdman, which had michael keaton in it
  • kill living beings
    MachSpeed said:

I tried Jazzpunk and I didn't like it.

my brother!!!!!

nah w/e
  • Panurge said:

I wanna see that too.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Acererak said:

Panurge said:

I wanna see that too.
    I've been curious about that film.

How was it?
  • AMERICA is founded by Christian Forefathers.... they built the very foundation of a Nation that is free.... If Islam will gain in numbers in America it is the end of Freedom America is enjoying... they will demand and enforce sharia law.... Do you think a christian can have its religion in saudi??? in muslim nation christian minorities is always at risk... while muslim in christian nation are free...

what a pleasant thing to wake up to
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    batman vs. manbat

Acererak said:

Panurge said:

I wanna see that too.
    I've been curious about that film.

How was it?
    It was good.

It reminded me a bit of Barton Fink, in showing the mental disintegration of a failed artist struggling with ambition and popular culture.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Acererak said:

Chowder really got a raw deal.

It wasn't a fantastic cartoon, but it was pretty decent.
    People didn't like Chowder?
    I have spoken to a lot of people who straight up hate Chowder.
    I've seen a lot of those people too, sadly
  • http://www.aiaiai.dk/store/headphones/tma-1-studio

i love how these look and id totes consider saving up for them BUT every review agrees that they break after 1 year without fail
  • Acererak said:

Chowder really got a raw deal.

It wasn't a fantastic cartoon, but it was pretty decent.
    People didn't like Chowder?
    I have spoken to a lot of people who straight up hate Chowder.
    Chowder was okay.

Most of the Bronze Age of Cartoon Network was at least watchable. Even Flapjack had it's good episodes, and I generally didn't like Flapjack.
    The Bronze Age of CN? What were the Golden Age and Silver Age?
  • edited 2015-02-22 03:24:25
    It is remarkable that Bond can’t seem to think of more than two fully “secure” works of art and so, to pad out his trinity, selects “the theory of gravity,” a non-artistic work of scientific creativity by a man who, when not contemplating the motion of the heavens, doubled as a theologian.

Man, why do people like to forget that Isaac Newton was basically a hardcore fundamentalist
    Because it's inconvenient to the narrative.
  • I mean, this is a guy who gets pissed off at Rene Descartes because he tries to give an explanation for gravitation that isn't "God did it"

I need to stress that I'm just talking about aspects of badness; the above works all have their many admirable qualities which attract people in the first place (though in the case of Anime I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what they were).

Because all anime is like Speed Racer, am I right?
    Stepen Bond is the snobby version of the Pump quotes from Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I doubt this is on Steam, let alone on sale, but I think you would enjoy Riven. The world-building is nifty and the puzzles are clever without being impossible.

Riven is on steam and is $6.
    Oh, I am happy!

Panurge said:

I doubt this is on Steam, let alone on sale, but I think you would enjoy Riven. The world-building is nifty and the puzzles are clever without being impossible.

Aliroz should play Myst before Riven.
    Probably, but I played Riven first and I think I prefer it.
  • edited 2015-02-22 03:29:10
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    @Acerak: Interesting. My favorite understated DC relationship is Clark Kent and Lex Luthor in All Star Superman.

"I've always liked you Kent. You're humble, modest, uncoordinated: Human. You're everything he's not."

Luthor sees Superman as an invasive, non-native species outcompeting the earthlings. In Luthor's eyes, superman is the enemy of humanity and he (Luthor) is defending the native pride of Earth. Clark Kent is an everyman, a perfect example of the fallible, foolish, weak, all-important human being. More to the point, he's kind of a dork.

Also, it kind of seems unfair to Lex that Lois Lane is in love with superman and Clark Kent is RIGHT THERE and in love with her dang it and this Alien gets the girl and that just ain't right. Dang it, this alien immigrant is even getting all the choice babes.

Yeah, I said it. Lex Luthor is a Kent/Lane shipper.
    Also Speed Racer is amazing shut your goddamn mouth

Panurge said:

Also Speed Racer is amazing shut your goddamn mouth

I'd never deny that Speed Racer is pretty amazing in its own way.

I'm just saying that image is what Stephen Bond thinks all anime is like, because apparently it never occurred to him that calcifying your tastes in a certain area when you're a child is contradictory to being the open-minded intellectual that he claims to be.
  • I am a senior member of the technical staff in the computational mathematics group at Sandia National Laboratories. My research interests include:

Numerical analysis
    Statistical mechanics
    Computational chemistry
    Geometric integration
    Biomolecular modeling
    Multilevel preconditioning
    Adaptive finite elements
    Molecular dynamics
    Continuum models
    Generalized Poisson and Poisson-Boltzmann equations
  • Stephen Bond is senior of counsel in the firm's London office, specializing in international commercial arbitration. He has served as an advocate or arbitrator in well over one hundred international arbitrations under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce, the London Court of International Arbitration, the Stockholm Arbitration Institute, the Japanese Commercial Arbitration Association, the Vienna Centre, and UNCITRAL. Mr. Bond's experience includes disputes in the energy, international joint venture, construction, technology, sales and distribution fields.
    The Stephen Bond Sports Machine
    I saw some episodes of Speed Racer relatively recently, and I was like "Oh, this is what old-ass white executives parody when they think they're parodying anime in general"
    Bond. Stephen Bond.
  • Bond. Stephen Bond.
    Skyfall sounds like the title of an atheist book trying to disprove Christianity now that I think about it
  • Anonus said:

I'm glad you asked.

The Golden Age was the era of Cartoons Cartoons. Everything was new and fresh and experimental. New cartoons were brought in by the bushel. Creators had power! 

The Silver Age started around when Staples became CEO. The zaniness was toned down a bit, more new material was brought in from other channels. Samurai Jack and Juniper Lee brought continuity to the network for the first time (well, in Jack's case, to some extent). Adult Swim happened, allowing for the Golden Age experimentalism to continue on a smaller scale. All in all, a period of maturity .

"It doesn't matter who you vote for, just vote" is a weird sentiment.

If you want to vote for candidates I don't agree with, I am perfectly fine with you staying home.

I am not going to support laws keeping you from voting, but I'm not gonna make you vote if I don't want your candidate to win.
  • Mentally, I always put the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy with the Bronze Age of CN, largely because I associate it with the grossout humor of Chowder and Flapjack, even though it premiered in the Silver Age and only lasted a year into the bronze age.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aliroz said:

@Acerak: Interesting. My favorite understated DC relationship is Clark Kent and Lex Luthor in All Star Superman.

"I've always liked you Kent. You're humble, modest, uncoordinated: Human. You're everything he's not."

Luthor sees Superman as an invasive, non-native species outcompeting the earthlings. In Luthor's eyes, superman is the enemy of humanity and he (Luthor) is defending the native pride of Earth. Clark Kent is an everyman, a perfect example of the fallible, foolish, weak, all-important human being. More to the point, he's kind of a dork.

Also, it kind of seems unfair to Lex that Lois Lane is in love with superman and Clark Kent is RIGHT THERE and in love with her dang it and this Alien gets the girl and that just ain't right. Dang it, this alien immigrant is even getting all the choice babes.

Yeah, I said it. Lex Luthor is a Kent/Lane shipper.

Didn't Grant Morrison write All-Star Superman?

I know some people aren't exactly in love with him but his work has yet to truly disappoint me.
    Grant Morrison is amazing.

Anonus said:

I'm glad you asked.

The Golden Age was the era of Cartoons Cartoons. Everything was new and fresh and experimental. New cartoons were brought in by the bushel. Creators had power! 

The Silver Age started around when Staples became CEO. The zaniness was toned down a bit, more new material was brought in from other channels. Samurai Jack and Juniper Lee brought continuity to the network for the first time. Adult Swim happened, allowing for the Golden Age experimentalism to continue on a smaller scale. All in all, a period of maturity .

don't forget, during the Golden Age they showed reruns of The Classics too, before the media "don't focus on anything more than a few years old" mentality set in
    It's funny how they had a great run on All-Star Superman, and then All-Star Batman immediately killed the project.
  • I wish we had another Samurai Jack. A show that just has a few main characters and just puts them into different situations. Like an animated Quantum Leap.
  • I have no idea how Frank Miller went from writing Batman: Year One to writing All-Star Batman and Robin
    there is to be honest a part of me that wishes that Cartoon Network Studios were still called Hanna-Barbera, but I've ranted about my feelings about the corporate fuckery that's hurt H-B before
    Panurge said:

"It doesn't matter who you vote for, just vote" is a weird sentiment.

If you want to vote for candidates I don't agree with, I am perfectly fine with you staying home.

I am not going to support laws keeping you from voting, but I'm not gonna make you vote if I don't want your candidate to win.
    by the same token, the quotation "I disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it" - whoever said that, I dunno - is weird too.
  • Anonus said:

Anonus said:

I'm glad you asked.

The Silver Age started around when Staples became CEO. The zaniness was toned down a bit, more new material was brought in from other channels. Samurai Jack and Juniper Lee brought continuity to the network for the first time. Adult Swim happened, allowing for the Golden Age experimentalism to continue on a smaller scale. All in all, a period of maturity .

don't forget, during the Golden Age they showed reruns of The Classics too, before the media "don't focus on anything more than a few years old" mentality set in
    True. Boomerang was also part of the streamlining process that the Silver Age did.
    Today John Green gave his kidney to a dying trans teenager who he then gave enough money to live away from her abusive surrounds, and to let her transition. He then saved a lesbian couple from a car crash, and successfully defended net neutrality in the senate. 

Tumblr's response was "Fucking attention whore"

#PicturesOfAFuture
  • ???

Don't most tumblr people like John Green?
    lol tumblr
    Acererak said:

???

Don't most tumblr people like John Green?
    They believe he should Mackle Less, instead of Mackling More
  • Also, my version of the Bronze Age and the Dark Age are partially concurrent.

The Bronze Age focuses more on the general trend of original programming that occurred in the late 2000s, and the end of a lot of Silver Age programming (a lot of old shows got cut down in 2008). The Dark Age refers to CN Real and their increased importing of low-quality Flash-animated cartoons. The most notable of these was Johnny Test, but there was also 6Teen, Stoked, George of the Jungle and the Total Drama series (which, I'll admit, was the best out of the lot).

The modern age, of course, starts with Regular Show and continues with, well, all current CN original programming.