The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• El Fuerte.

Also! I actually read manga today. It's about a T-rex who's a detective, trying to solve the death of a superhero. There's also one of those "looks twelve but is mentally hella old" lolis who's always wearing revealing clothes, but who cares when there's an ANTHROPOMORPHIC T-REX FIGHTING A CYBORG WITH A TABLE
    Oh yeah, Keyman. Between being sketched out by the fanservicey shots of the aforementioned 12 year old looking character and some of the stuff that happens later, I ended up dropping Keyman, but Inspector Alex is pretty great.
    He is, isn't he? I didn't know that I wanted a hard-boiled detective who's also a funny animal, but it's all I ever wanted.

Which other stuff that happens later? There's a lot of sketchy stuff that happens later.
    I know, right? I never knew a grumpy, rough around the edges T-rex could be so darn adorable. Plus, I love the way the artist draws Alex. Their background art is kinda eh because of how unnecessarily cluttered it gets at times, but some of their character designs are pretty enjoyable overall. Also, if you like hard-boiled detectives who are also a funny animal, you should read Blacksad, if you haven't already.

To be honest, after I dropped it I kind forgot most things about the story other than the most basic details, so I'd have to re-read it to remember what bothered me about it specifically.

• this track is so good im posting it twice
  • Blacksad's Lackadaisy Cats after a 20 year fastforward, right?

As far as I know, Blacksad and Lackadaisy Cats have no connection whatsoever, as Blacksad is a comic that was published in France and then translated into English. Though both series do have some similarities in the general Film Noir-ish tone. Blacksad is closer to "The Maltese Falcon" style of Film Noir though.
  • I meant thematically.

But yeah. Blacksad's been on the Comic List for a while. But I rarely touch the Comic List because I'm not used to buying comics.
  • I meant thematically.

But yeah. Blacksad's been on the Comic List for a while. But I rarely touch the Comic List because I'm not used to buying comics.
    Ah. In that case, then yes.

You should definitely checkout Blacksad at some point. I can honestly say it's one of my favorite comic books.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I really want to read Blacksad. It looks really nifty, and more generally speaking I've been meaning to dive into Western European comics for a long time. It's such a broad, strange world.

Also, I find it funny how where nerd culture in America seems to be anywhere from grudgingly tolerant to hysterically opposition towards the whole furry thing, a good chunk of European comics revolve around funny animal characters doing not-so-humorous things and nobody really seems to care, to the point that it even seeps into mainstream pop culture. I guess it has to do with the evolution of the form and the nature of the American/Anglophone Internet, among other things.

And to be honest I'm a bit jelly: I write characters how they see them, and some of those characters happen to be cat folk and elephant shrews in fezzes, and I'd rather not be brushed off as not serious or purely pandering to fetishes solely for that fact.
  • write about catboys plz
  • I personally find animals kinda hard to relate to

but I also am writing a novel about a rabbit knight, so I don't know, maybe I'm a hypocrite.
  • I've had a boar knight character that I've been reworking for half a decade so he doesn't come off as weird in plots focusing largely on humans, and Watership Down was a beautiful, beautiful book that got me laughed at by girls. I understand the feeling.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    being a furry isn't fun sometimes

are you a furry too Yarrun
  • Anonus said:

the thing is that reading books with animal people in them does not necessarily make one a furry.
  • being a furry is fun 500% of the time

all aboard the yiffmobile, destination murr city

Anonus said:

the thing is that reading books with animal people in them does not necessarily make one a furry.
    well no but still
  • There are no catboys in my mind-stories. I'm not even sure if domestication happened in general, let alone with wild cats.

There's a tiger-dude. Maybe two tiger-dudes. That's about it.
  • Maxwolt is a rabbit who became humanlike by eating what is essentially a Ring of Intelligence, in RPG parlance.

Anonus said:

The problem is that these definitions are so crazy vague. At its broadest usage, to be a furry is to really dig anthropomorphic animal fiction or the aesthetics thereof, which is a pretty big tent. But to be something in theory is different from being that thing in practice, which I think requires some degree of open self-identification. And then there's the matter of scenes, which are... another thing.

I'm pretty sure I qualify as a furry even by fairly narrow definitions, but I'm pretty far outside of the core community and have no interest in writing solely to people within a particular fandom. I want my work to be enjoyed by people who simply like good, sophisticated, character-driven experimental fiction; the animal-people are just another facet to the story, a fringe benefit for some but not the key thing.
  • he claims this but secretly he is a huge yifflord
    i'm a huge furry as evidenced by my avatar
    My animal-people, if some of their creation myths are to be believed, were the animals sent out of Paradise into the Seventy-Two Kingdoms of the sons and daughters of the Most High for eating of the fruit of Knowledge and becoming fully sapient and at odds with their fellows in nature.

The snake-people are basically Clark Ashton Smith's serpent people, which just adds to the layers here...
    did you come up with that yourself?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like cows
  • Anonus said:

Hmm. Not particularly.

I have created a lot of non-human characters, but they tend to be isolated examples in largely human worlds. Even when I was heavily ripping off Pokemon (and man, did I ever rip off Pokemon back in the day), that was limited to the protagonists. Never the rank-and-file.

And I've been attracted to furry characters, but no more so than humans.
  • Maxwolt is a rabbit who became humanlike by eating what is essentially a Ring of Intelligence, in RPG parlance.

So, reverse Tewi then.
    here I am just writing bizarre fanfic of 101 Dalmatians: The Series
  • My animal-people, if some of their creation myths are to be believed, were the animals sent out of Paradise into the Seventy-Two Kingdoms of the sons and daughters of the Most High for eating of the fruit of Knowledge and becoming fully sapient and at odds with their fellows in nature.

The snake-people are basically Clark Ashton Smith's serpent people, which just adds to the layers here...
    The origins of mine are a cross between "some humans got frisky with animals", "some animals got frisky with humans", "one of the first pranks of the legendary Jester" and "who cares where they came from! They're getting in our crops/Stealing our jobs!"

Creation myths don't get a lot of respect in my world.
  • Maxwolt is a singular creature, so far anyway.

My animal-people, if some of their creation myths are to be believed, were the animals sent out of Paradise into the Seventy-Two Kingdoms of the sons and daughters of the Most High for eating of the fruit of Knowledge and becoming fully sapient and at odds with their fellows in nature.

The origins of mine are a cross between "some humans got frisky with animals", "some animals got frisky with humans", "one of the first pranks of the legendary Jester" and "who cares where they came from! They're getting in our crops/Stealing our jobs!"

Creation myths don't get a lot of respect in my world.
    Since my story is set in the parallel 1920s, there are a lot of attempts at scientific explanations and clueless Social Darwinist theories about different species in addition to any number of religious explanations. There are also weird things like the aes sidhe and cherubim and homunculi and incubi, too, and any number of extraterrestrial life forms, so nothing is conclusive.

The simplest explanation is that reality has a tonne of layers and that there is a feedback between what is perceived to be true from a rational perspective and what is believed more subjectively. To pray to a god is to make that god real, on some level.
  • edited 2015-02-23 07:32:26
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oh, and the "villain" is a pain-bearing saviour figure who wants to reject his role and "save" the world from the pain inherent in all life by awakening the dead matter of the universe and having it rip itself apart from the inside out, thus nullifying all physical existence.
  • spoiler alert he's yiffy as heck
  • kill living beings
    fanfiction concerning nuclear biological processes
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    to be alone with nothing left but your memories
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

fanfiction concerning nuclear biological processes

touhous or
  • Maybe my brother's drug use would be sadder if he ever shut the fuck up about it
    drug use?
  • Has that not come up before? I could swear it has.

He's tired and a bit high and just spent like thirty damned minutes lecturing me about the dangers of Adderall, which was a conversation I could have appreciated had it been the first time and not, say, the fourth.
    honestly all I remember about him drug-wise is that his gamertag is "RollAnothrBlunt"
  • Uh, well, rest assured that he's done more than smoke pot.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Creation myths are pretty neat, but ultimately not particularly useful.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    And now we look like IJBM.
    It's Vanilla Poppy, our old theme adapted for this layout
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Just ordered the New 3DS (normal sized). Yay.
    Anonus said:

i think i preferred blue
  • edited 2015-02-23 11:44:17
    Calica said:

Anonus said:

i think i preferred blue
    i certainly didn't.  this theme's got more varied colors.
    yeah but they're bad colors and hey aren't you the one who runs ijbm
  • they're still better than blue, other blue, and some other blue

also these aren't even ijbm's colors
  • If only out of years of experience with it, my default color scheme for HH is Poppy, and I can't say that I find it ugly but there are probably more attractive combinations to be had.

Either way the logo on top is my work, so I'm not complaining. ^__^

they're still better than blue, other blue, and some other blue

also these aren't even ijbm's colors

i think you'll find that blue is in fact a good color
    actually now that i'm no longer shocked i guess this is okay.  still kinda miss blue but whatever