• edited 2014-08-28 00:17:57
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Anonus said:

What range is that?

Think big shounen action series
  • kill living beings
    let not another search be made in vain
  • edited 2014-08-28 00:20:10
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Mind you, I know perfectly nice people who like both, but let's be honest with ourselves here.

Yeah, I quite dig what I've watched of the shows I mentioned in my last post. That's the main reason I used them as examples, in fact.
  • kill living beings
    wow i suddenly thought that maybe it's pointless for me to write about squid brains

haven't felt that pointlessness in a while!
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I specified "a certain kind of person" first, mind. The avatar is only a small part of the package, Crystal, and you share next to no traits with these people.

Mind you, I know perfectly nice people who like both, but let's be honest with ourselves here.

Yeah, I quite dig what I've watched of the shows I mentioned in my last post. That's the main reason I used them as examples, in fact.
    And the first Fullmetal Alchemist is a personal favourite of mine. I am not unfamiliar with the sensation.
  • edited 2014-08-28 00:39:38
    We can do anything if we do it together.

And the first Fullmetal Alchemist is a personal favourite of mine. I am not unfamiliar with the sensation.
    I remember watching the first Fullmetal Alchemist when I was younger. I sometimes get curious if I would still like it today. Eventually, I will re-watch it and answer this question to myself.

I do agree that the experience of liking something that's liked by so many less-than-desirable people can be a bit of a bittersweet one at times, to say the least.

I'd also like to point out that my current avatar is Bugs Bunny, which is not an avatar choice that most people would make. :P
  • edited 2014-08-28 00:36:44
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

I specified "a certain kind of person" first, mind. The avatar is only a small part of the package, Crystal, and you share next to no traits with these people.

Oh I know, I just felt like playing off of the intentional vagueness and also bringing Hunter X Hunter into this because it's a wonderful show (which you and others should watch, for the record). Plus Killua's face served as an amusing "how dare you" response.

Also, next to no traits? Now I am curious...
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-28 00:40:59

Eh, I personally see no real reason to make connections between how someone acts and what type of anime avatar he or she happens to have. If the avatar is only a small part of the package why make an issue out of it at all?

Then again, I guess I sort of have complicated feelings about anime fandom stuff too. On one hand, I definitely find some aspects of anime/manga and their respective fan bases annoying and I barely have much in common with big time anime fans. On the other hand, it does bug me when people make a stink about something as silly as somebody having an anime or MLP icon.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I remember watching the first Fullmetal Alchemist when I was younger. I sometimes get curious if I would still like it today. Eventually, I will re-watch it and answer this question to myself.

I do agree that the experience of liking something that's liked by so many less-than-desirable people can be a bit of a bittersweet one at times, to say the least.

I'd also like to point out that my current avatar is Bugs Bunny, which is not an avatar choice that most people would make. :P
    I might make it, and seeing you with Bugs made me envious
    Oh, I have no interest in making a big deal about who has what avatar. I just find the trend kind of funny: Obnoxious teenager or emotionally teenage internet reprobate sports an avatar from a long-running tournament show or weepy "slice-of-life" dating sim adaptation. Makes me giggle.

And yes, Killua has the best "bitch, please" face. Need to watch that show...

It has a lot of heart and it really, really doesn't pull its punches.
  • i find most fictitious religions disappointing for the same reasons that i find most of the real ones i've seen disappointing
  • kill living beings
    not enough babes
  •  It's weird to me that so few major religions seem to have positive opinions on sex. 

Why is that specific thing so commonly considered bad?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

And yes, Killua has the best "bitch, please" face. Need to watch that show...
    It's pretty fantastic. I would have changed my avatar to someone from that show if this avatar hadn't already grown on me. Though, I've already got a really good one...

It has a lot of heart and it really, really doesn't pull its punches.
    Still on my list, but will unfortunately have to wait until I feel ready to dash through it and am in a comfortable position where school and other necessities are concerned.
    Kexruct said:

It's weird to me that so few major religions seem to have positive opinions on sex. 

I think it's cyclical rather than definitive, although wanting to control female and alternative sexuality is a common feature of authoritarian ideologies and thus of authoritarian interpretations of religious thought.
  • kill living beings
    Kexruct said:

It's weird to me that so few major religions seem to have positive opinions on sex. 

marriage is a social structure religions use to maintain bla bla bla

-> sex is only for marriage (to increase the specialness of marriage)

-> sex outside marriage is bad

-> sex in general is bad

/total armchairing
  • edited 2014-08-28 00:56:28
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The Puritans actually thought that sex was really important and allowed women to divorce their husbands if they were bad in bed because it made them less likely to bear children, whether as a direct consequence or because no-one wants to sleep with a guy who's just not good at sex.

So yeah. Religion is peculiar.
  • edited 2014-08-28 01:06:26
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

This song plays on some of the toughest stages in the game

It's pretty rad
  • the other day i was bored so i decided to watch some Jon Stewart

i watched like at least 50 segments and

holy fuck how can one man fail so hard at being funny
  • Jon Stewart is a really, really good comedian.

The Daily Show hasn't had the impact it has based on information alone. 
  • blah blah blah not trying to invalidate your experience blah blah consider blah blah
  • Is this thing about anime avatars a recent twitter meme or just a general thing?
  • I think you're wrong.
    naney said:

the other day i was bored so i decided to watch some Jon Stewart

What do you think is funny? I notice that things like The Daily Show and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy make you wilt inside
  • I mean, his humor is dorky and often weirdly light when put against the subject material, but his good stuff is legitimately incredible.
    (Stephen Colbert is funnier to me, though, and it's a shame that his persona probably won't go with him to CBS when he heads there next year)
  • Colbert is funnier, but his work is more inconsistent and oftentimes takes the form of big projects like the Super PAC rather than individual segments.

Jon Stewart rather consistently kills when it comes to releasing a constant stream of biting criticism.
  • naney said:

I am someone who is normally intensely skeptical of satire and political humor in general and even I like John Stewart most of the time.
    I am lukewarm on Stewart but I do enjoy Colbert.
  • kill living beings
    same as sredni i guess

stewart seems to do a lot of clappers, which is alright in moderation
  • i didn't think it was dorky or weirdly light, i thought it was horribly paced, repetitive and grasping.
    Anonus said:

naney said:

What do you think is funny?
    earlier today at the fair there was this parade and in the parade there was this truck, and in the truck was Nordy, the mascot for the Minnesota wild. The truck had a sounsystem, which was playing Last Resort by Papa Roach, which Nordy was dancing along to. this caused both me and my younger sister to literally fall over in a fit of hysterics.

there was my sister's riffing on the ATLA shamalllama movie

every time Joseph Joestar says "OOOOOOOHHHHH MYYY GOOOOOOD"

that one Moshe Kasher routine regarding his hairy arms

the ridiculous copy on Four Pins
    sometimes I worry that my own taste in comedy is too mainstream or antiquated

if I were to write down a top 10 favorite cartoon characters list, I'm certain that Mr. Jinks and Bullwinkle would make it, for instance
  • Kexruct said:

a constant stream of biting criticism.

this was my other problem, he was too politically mild for me, he just kinda threw softballs about and was like "wow this obviously bad thing is so bad guys watch me do my flabbergasted face"
  • real talk tho no professional comedian will ever be able to top Nordy dancing to Last Resort
  • That's not really the meat of his humor.

For one thing, he doesn't really have any sort of comic persona; he's just a newscaster who occasionally tells jokes. But considering the amount of material he writes for his correspondents (who DO have comic personas) it's pretty clear he has a solid grasp on comedy.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

This is apparently a hit somewhere.

A+ style emulation.
  • naney said:

Kexruct said:

a constant stream of biting criticism.

this was my other problem, he was too politically mild for me, he just kinda threw softballs about and was like "wow this obviously bad thing is so bad guys watch me do my flabbergasted face"
    He's done a hell of a job making those kinds of blatantly terrible things visible and understandable, though.

Also his show is, well, daily; not every episode will be insanely memorable. But a good one out of five are. And that's pretty impressive, all things considered.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Kexruct said:

That's not really the meat of his humor.

For one thing, he doesn't really have any sort of comic persona; he's just a newscaster who occasionally tells jokes. But considering the amount of material he writes for his correspondents (who DO have comic personas) it's pretty clear he has a solid grasp on comedy.
    Is he actually the writer?
  • naney said:

I disagree

With what?
  • Lilly said:

Kexruct said:

That's not really the meat of his humor.

Is he actually the writer?
    One of the writers, at any rate. I can imagine he plays a pretty big part in the writing process.
  • John Oliver da bess
  • back to making lazy fake House out of pop music samples

woo-ee
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

This is apparently a hit somewhere.

A+ style emulation.
    I just realized that this was a homage to The Prodigy's 'Smack My Bitch Up'.
  • Also there's the fact that his two most popular protege's have gone off to do their own satirical news shows, both of which are excellent (particularly Last Week Tonight, which also has the benefit of being weekly; give Stewart a weekly show and see how quickly the ratio of good jokes to eh increases) and one of which also features Jon Stewart as one of the head writers.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    man what is comedy central even going to do when Colbert leaves though
    Tre said:

John Oliver da bess

Yes.

Also, Kex, stop. You're doing your ridiculous sorta white knight thing.