The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Meeeeeeh
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tools said:

Meeeeeeh

Slightly better than bleeeeeeh at least?

Whatcha doin', Tools?
  • Crying myself to sleep, as usual

And you?
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu

Poor Yaju Senpai can't have any privacy
    Tools said:

Crying myself to sleep, as usual

And you?

Lounging around feeling meh. Took an odd photo of myself.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I start classes at The Ohio State University in approximately 13 hours

I am both nervous and excited
    Yaaaaay!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    13 hours?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

13 hours?

My first lecture is at 9 AM, yeah.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-26 20:28:27
    quack
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
  • kill living beings
    well, it's just syllabus day, don't worry too much

well, it's just syllabus day, don't worry too much

True, true.
  • edited 2014-08-26 21:39:36
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh my goodness, why is online registration such a pain. Hopefully "Hyōri Ittai" helps me calm down...
  • edited 2014-08-26 21:39:41
    kill living beings
    i did have a professor start teaching today. weird shit.
    When we were under quarters I'd occasionally have professors start teaching on the first day, since we only had 10 weeks and there wasn't much time to waste, but with semesters that's not as big an issue...
  • kill living beings
    well, i had a professor do it during summer term once, but that was kind of expected because the class in question was the hardest i've ever had and it was squeezed into twelve weeks
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-26 22:39:06

lee4hmz said:

LW: AP and IB are both college-level and can be counted towards core curriculum at your uni, though beyond that I'm not sure of the differences. I know that for AP you have to take a test to get the credit. 

Thanks for the reply, that clarifies some things. If anyone else has anything else to add about the difference between AP and IB classes, feel free to say so as well. I am honestly still sort of curious.

What a time to be alive

I saw that and thought that it was legitimately pretty neat. Then I heard about the Animal Crossing characters and courses based on Zelda, Animal Crossing, and F-Zero and now I am actually getting sort of hyped about the new DLC. I wonder what effect, if any, amiibos will have on this.

I have seen the usual complaints about having to pay for DLC rather than having everything to start out. That said, Mario Kart 8 already had tons of characters and courses upon release and this DLC is apparently pretty reasonably priced considering how much content it will add, so I think those complaints are probably less valid here than they would usually be.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I remember thinking, back when I used to play the original Mario Kart, what if this had Zelda characters too?

Finally, after 20 years, Nintendo hears my plea
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-26 23:08:59
    At my school, with IB, you have to enter the program for a diploma, which requires you to take a full course load of classes at the IB/college level.

I didn't do IB because I didn't want that (especially in math, where I've struggled consistently due to a series of increasingly spotty teachers); rather, I've opted to take two AP courses this year for the college credits and then stick with academic and honors level courses for the rest.
  • I can't decide if this is science fiction, or economic fact but
    it's about as welcome, as an infection, of the urinary tract
    so let your mind and wallet fester, 'cause when you get down to it
    I think you'll have found, it's just another tune in a different cash register.

(He's custom built) I'm custom bulilt, I'm c-c-c-c, custom built for capitalism.
    (He's custom built) You've seen the film now see the shorts.

The sound of a thousand barking dogs is music, music to my ears.
    I can sell the bourgeoisie a mushy pea (and this song is one, constructively)
    This is no beggars opera, this is no threepenny tune.
    I can't decide if it's artistic creation, or just a non-going cash flow situation.

(He's custom built) I'm c-c-c-c-custom built, custom built for capitalism.
    (He's custom built) Feel the quality, feel the length.

I wasn't the one to slip Fidel Castro the exploding cigar.
    Why use a pen? You've got a typewriter.
    The sten gun's mightier than the guitar.
    Turn up the fat adjust the thermostat of the central hitting.
    Feed us some more of that deep fried tripe, I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

(He's custom built) I'm c-c-c-c-custom built, custom built for capitalism.
    (He's custom built) You've seen the scenario, now buy the album.

(c,c,c, custom)

From it's present level the market is just as likely to rise as is to fall,
    To be more precise, the weight of probability of it's movements in either direction are the same.
    In
    other words, there could be a large chance of a small further recovery
    or a small chance of a large further drop, or vice versa.

"Uses the original 1950's Blue Peter theme tune speeded up (not in it's original form)"

(He's custom built)
    (He's custom built)
    I'm custom built for capitalism.

Buy now, while stocks last.
    No time wasters please.
    Must be dedicated, energetic, young, vibrant.
    Image essential, please send photo.
    No headbangers.
    No experience necessary.
    Sounds experimental maybe.
    Sounds unbearable definitely.

(He's custom built) I'm c-c-c-c-custom, custom built for capitalism.
    (He's custom built) This song is c-c-c-c....

Three zeros ain't a lot to ask for, but what a difference they can make.
    The nought-ical (sic) ideology is what I desire for goodness sake.
    Collect these little dough-nuts, deposit into Swiss bank.
    It's always science fiction, or else it's corporation backed.

(He's custom built)
    (He's custom built) Change to Self Immolation, we deliver the goods.
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built) You've heard the single now buy the album.
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built) You've seen the scenario now buy the album.
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built) You've felt the quality, now feel the length.
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built) You've seen the film now see the shorts.
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built)
    (He's custom built)
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-26 23:57:41
    A Persuasion stat boost for certain sticky situations, perhaps? You could call the skill "Swift Talker" or something.
  • Sweet talk- Always gain at least one piece of information regardless of disposition
    Gossip- Gain greater amounts of information from rumors
    Ear to the ground- Passively gain random tidbits of information when in a crowd.
    Quick Riposte / Throwing Shade, Aura of Honesty, Dispositional Chameleon, Socratic Harrier / Pointed Question, Instant Pun / Master of Innuendo, and Unflappable Jocularity spring to mind.
  • Yes, useful.

I'm thinking of splitting my game's level system into combat levels and non-combat levels (which will be a tricky bit of fiddling with the base controls), and you just gave me ideas for the non-combat skills. Thank you!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Wonderful, the power went out here just as I was about to get ready for bed. This means neither my fan nor my CPAP will work, and it also means I can't charge my phone unless I get dressed and go to the car.
    :(
  • re AP/IB/etc. classes

You can typically get some sort of college/university credit for it when you enroll in whatever postsecondary institution of higher education you end up in.  No guarantees, however.  Some schools will pick and choose which ones they recognize.

Also, at least for AP classes, you have to take a special standardized exam around the end of the school year, and a passing score is usually a 3, for most but not all purposes.  Also, your school may offer you weighted GPA which gives you GPA bonus points for doing well in an AP class, though this is also usually dependent on your passing the AP exam with a 3 or higher (on a 1~5 scale).

Also you may have to pay for the AP exam but schools usually pay for it if you actually take the class.  I think.

And some of the AP classes may have unusual components, such as AP Biology which usually comes with an accompanying lab class.

All I know about the IB program, on the other hand, is that some components of it are referenced in the anime series Stellvia of the Universe.
  • edited 2014-08-27 02:16:15
    btw who came up with the name "tropes vs. women in videogames"?

it's a horribly stupid name

i think i get the point it's trying to make, but that doesn't mean it does its job well

unless its job was to be provocative

NOTE: this is about the NAME, not the content
  • From Higgs vs. Zola to the end of the first Act.

Yes, I'm talking to you, Aliroz. Yes, I know you were going to ask.
    I remember everybody loved Girl Genius a few years ago
  • Knight of Centralia | May those who accept their fate find happiness, may those who defy it find glory.
    haha, whoops.
    I have mixed feelings about the Foglios. On the one hand, their art style meshes well with their sense of humour and pacing and makes their funnier, more exaggerated moments quite charming and a little twisted; on the other hand, that same art style makes it hard for me to take their serious moments seriously and is frequently just kind of "huh?"-inducing. They are clearly very inventive writers with great stories to tell, but their style paints them into a weird corner.

I mean, there are other artists with distinctive styles that are very much an acquired taste whose work I greatly enjoy. Cate Wurtz draws in a way that most people would think of as deliberately bad, but I think it's really effective given the kinds of stories that she tells. Similarly, the likes of Tiny Kitten Teeth and Jailbird delight me in their oddball retro feels. But I just don't know about Girl Genius.
  • Knight of Centralia | May those who accept their fate find happiness, may those who defy it find glory.
    Ain't it fun, ain't it fun
    ...how did it take me this long to realise that "Bass Rattle Stars Out The Sky" is about a bad trip?

Yōkō said:

Indeed.
    I could probably conjure about a half-dozen distinct personas at any given moment and that's kind of scary.
    It is, but it is also admirable.
    Other things that are scary yet admirable include liches and demon lords.
    Stepping outside yourself can be beneficial for the soul.
  • Yōkō said:

LIVING in the REAL WORLD?
  • edited 2014-08-27 07:13:43
    I like that I get tips. It's nice to have cash at the end of my night shift.

^Don't go crying to your momma. [ETC.]
    At school now.

Got about half an hour before class starts, so I'm hanging around in the library across the street from my first lecture...
    Hi Naney