The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    They taught me that Naruto is a gateway anime of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and DARKNESS. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the series itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The superpowered characters all trying their hardest to look cool, the jutsus, peculiar, colorful clothes, the whole ninja faggotry and everything about the Naruto world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the pity-party character backgrounds, emphasis on revenge, and overall preachiness of the series make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.

Naruto is basically THE series to attract the most hated anime fanbase known to /a/, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of this show and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Naruto threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I never got all the hate for Naruto myself, but then I haven't kept track of which anime is God Tier and which is newbie tier in years.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It just looks kind of flamboyant and silly to me in a not particularly interesting way. Some little aspects looked intriguing, but it just seems kind of brash but bland.

Anime hipsters are a weird bunch, so figuring out what they consider "God Tier" is hard to say definitively. I think that everyone agrees that Monster is essential viewing, and Wolf's Rain is generally well-respected even by people that don't actually like it, but really solid stuff like Madoka Magica can be really divisive.
    Oh, and seeing people argue about what did or did not work in Kill La Kill is frequently hilarious.
  • I am at McDonald's now.

I am the only person I know who did not really care for Monster.
  • One of my favorite things about DungeonCrawl StoneSoup is that you can be a plant-man who worships a storm god who will smite your enemies with powerful elemental magics for you.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Oh, and seeing people argue about what did or did not work in Kill La Kill is frequently hilarious.

It was especially amusing to see people snipe at Ryuko for not being a good protagonist and/or Satsuki for not being a good antagonist, considering what happened later on.
  • There are people who will still argue that Ryuko's not a good protagonist.

Granted, she is probably the least wacky of the main characters, but she sort of functions as an anchor that keeps the show recognizable through all of its zaniness.
  • kill living beings
    you were always on my mind
  • edited 2014-08-28 20:07:15
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    There's also the fact that Ryuko fills in the gap of being the new person who the premise has to be explained to, so that we know what the premise is for ourselves.

Spoiler:
    If Satsuki was the protagonist from the beginning, way too much would've been revealed way too soon about the actual plot of the show, hence killing all suspense.
    Ryuko does do the whole "losing her way" thing far more often than is necessary to the narrative arc, but I'm not sure I get the Mako hate at all. I mean, it's not supposed to be a serious series (save for Ragyo being a creeper), and she isn't tangential to the plot if you're paying attention.

Also, I heard a great argument for why Ragyo acts like such a sleaze-beast that makes a lot of sense.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

you were always on my mind

• edited 2014-08-28 20:15:20
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    "Voice command and control software may become the most popular software gift of this holiday season. Kids want it to play games. Professional people want it to control PowerPoint presentations. Everybody wants it to surf the Internet."

Circa October 1997.  Come a long way.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

It just looks kind of flamboyant and silly to me in a not particularly interesting way. Some little aspects looked intriguing, but it just seems kind of brash but bland.

Anime hipsters are a weird bunch, so figuring out what they consider "God Tier" is hard to say definitively. I think that everyone agrees that Monster is essential viewing, and Wolf's Rain is generally well-respected even by people that don't actually like it, but really solid stuff like Madoka Magica can be really divisive.
    I kind of hate Gurren Lagann a little bit for the worship it gets.

Which is weird because I enjoyed watching it.
  • Ryuko does do the whole "losing her way" thing far more often than is necessary to the narrative arc, but I'm not sure I get the Mako hate at all. I mean, it's not supposed to be a serious series (save for Ragyo being a creeper), and she isn't tangential to the plot if you're paying attention.

Also, I heard a great argument for why Ragyo acts like such a sleaze-beast that makes a lot of sense.
    Give us the argument
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-28 20:38:56

Anime hipsters are a weird bunch, so figuring out what they consider "God Tier" is hard to say definitively.

I am definitely not going to disagree with you there. A while ago, I remember seeing people talk up how much better josei was than "common" shonen. I think that is a perfectly valid opinion to have,  but it seems to me to be more of a personal preference (like many opinions about anime really) than anything else.

That said, I would much rather people say things like that than go on about the moepocalypse. I feel like "moe" and especially "moe show" have been used in so many different ways to become almost meaningless. My knowledge of recent anime stuff is admittedly pretty terrible though, so maybe the terms are more useful today than they have been in the past.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thankfully, the tiredness seemed to go away around 4:00.

Of course, it would have been a bit nicer if it went away before class was over, but hey, I guess I'm just gonna have to train my body to be awake during the day.
    Aliroz said:

What is wrong with my body? Why am I tired after sleeping ten hours last night? :(

You need to get ten hours every night.
    I know you mean well Aliroz, but the idea of a full-time college student getting 10 hours of sleep on a regular basis...well, it's not very realistic, sadly.
  • I had an idea about a song, or rather, an experiment.

Take a common tune that everyone recognizes. Like the Imperial March, or the Super Mario Bros theme. Then get the ordered tones from that tune and feed that into a computer program. Set the program to spit out a random number per beat. Whenever it spits out a certain number, it plays the next tone in the sequence. 

The complete destruction of rhythm. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

Imi if you have any bands you know of that are similar to Kula Shaker I'd be indebted if you could recommend some.

Anyway, I'm going to McDonald's. Bye.

Well, I suppose KS have been considered a "neo-psychedelic" band which you'd think would put them in the same category as The Dukes of Stratosphear, The Olivia Tremor Control, and Neutral Milk Hotel among others. Or else Britpop bands like Blur and Oasis, who were big around the same time. But I don't think they really sounded like any of those. I'm actually at a loss to suggest a band with a similar "Eastern religion meets hard rock" sound.
  • Imi if you have any bands you know of that are similar to Kula Shaker I'd be indebted if you could recommend some.

Anyway, I'm going to McDonald's. Bye.

Well, I suppose KS have been considered a "neo-psychedelic" band which you'd think would put them in the same category as The Dukes of Stratosphear, The Olivia Tremor Control, and Neutral Milk Hotel among others. Or else Britpop bands like Blur and Oasis, who were big around the same time. But I don't think they really sounded like any of those. I'm actually at a loss to suggest a band with a similar "Eastern religion meets hard rock" sound.
    Ah. Oh well.

This is the most 90s video ever.

Also a good song.
  • edited 2014-08-28 20:52:14

class is boring, 1/2 an hour left

i think i'll go to taco bell after
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

Is it because Ragyo is a overbearing, over-ambitious, controlling mother monster who uses abuse as a tool to scar and keep her daughter loyal to her in the worst way possible?
  • kill living beings
    food
    http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/made-for-china/ Ooooh someone doesn't think Pacific Rim was a feminist masterpiece.
  • Kikuchi’s character Mako is a masterpiece of contradiction, fulfilling as many Asian female stereotypes as the screenwriters could muster. She is a beauty, a fighter, a submissive, a child. She speaks exclusively in sexy baby voice, that girlish squeak that barely registers above a whisper. She obeys the other characters to a fault, but teeters on the brink of tears when she doesn’t get her way. The movie infantilizes her literally, as she flashes back to a childhood memory of crying as she runs through the streets of a demolished city. Mako scores top marks in fighting and operating giant robots, but she’s all aptitude. In the heat of battle, twice she collapses into the hero’s arms and from time to time falls unconscious.

Odradek does not mince words at all. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    analog funk
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Thankfully, the tiredness seemed to go away around 4:00.

Of course, it would have been a bit nicer if it went away before class was over, but hey, I guess I'm just gonna have to train my body to be awake during the day.

Aliroz said:

What is wrong with my body? Why am I tired after sleeping ten hours last night? :(

You need to get ten hours every night.
    I know you mean well Aliroz, but the idea of a full-time college student getting 10 hours of sleep on a regular basis...well, it's not very realistic, sadly.

Still, given how much a lot of the people here have problems with sleep ( not being tired when it is time to be tired, being tired when it isn't time to be tired, not getting enough sleep, getting sleep at the wrong time), I worry about you guys.

I just want you to be happy and healthy.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    >defenseless underdogs

it's not THEIR fault they quit making super-pills :P
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    sleep problems are a super common autism spectrum thing so
  • It's rather exhausting keeping up with all the things I SHOULD be watching/reading/playing. I usually end up doing nothing. I'm still fucking reading War and Peace. I'm not even CLOSE to getting into the meat of JJBA. 

Sigh. I have some huge motivation issues.
  • Warning: Have had a shitty day.
  • There are genuinely very few--if any--pieces of media in the world that you should feel guilty for not experiencing.

Anyway, go do something you enjoy.

Or play DungeonCrawl. You might enjoy that.
    Kexruct said:

It's rather exhausting keeping up with all the things I SHOULD be watching/reading/playing. I usually end up doing nothing. I'm still fucking reading War and Peace. I'm not even CLOSE to getting into the meat of JJBA. 

Sigh. I have some huge motivation issues.
    Same but it has somehow gotten better now that I'm away at college.

• Hey Emile,

Ever wondered what President Barack Obama thinks of ridesharing?
    nope, can't say that i have

how the fuck did i end up on the Lyft mailing list anyways?...
    I'm still not sure what the difference between ridesharing and a taxi is except, like, apps or something
  • kill living beings
    don't need a medallion
    oh right, there's the semi-legality
  • edited 2014-08-28 23:28:16

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oliver-Peoples-MP-2-New-Vintage-Circa-1987-Black-MINT-condition-RARE-/271583957969

man that's only 40 bucks off of how much a new pair costs

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Give us the argument
    Ragyo literally thinks like a living piece of clothing. She sees all forms of close physical intimacy as essentially the same thing - like being worn - and even when she recognises that her idea of "affection" might be traumatic she is indifferent because she is, in her own mind, above such petty human concerns. There is a power element to it as well, but that's an aspect to everything that Ragyo does.

I think that I am just about done with this.

he tre where and when am I sending you the files.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I haven't used Windows Media Player in ages

I don't even know what the Windows 8 version looks like
  • It looks like that.

I have Windows 8 also.
    Oh, so it looks just like it did in Windows 7, despite 8 having an all-flat theme and dropping the glass motif? How lazy.
  • Unless there's some optional graphical option to make it look different that I'm not aware of, yes.

I know it's like one of the objectively worst music players available but it's what I'm used to and it's easy to organize. So meh.