The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    naney said:

i'm not sure how the anthropic principle could be used to support religion

The world was made for us because God made man in His image yadda yadda yadda.
  • not sure how that works still
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

not sure how that works still

Maybe some of that sweet sweet ganja will help
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    This Earth...it was made for me. #drrdrrdrr
    They say that if you listen to Pink Floyd's Piper At The Gates Of Dawn while watching Disney's Alice In Wonderland, you'll be listening to a good album while watching an under-rated movie.
    ...really?

I think this paragraph from the Wikipedia article outlines the implications pretty well:

Many criticisms focus on versions of the strong anthropic principle, such as Barrow and Tipler's anthropic cosmological principle, which are teleological notions that tend to describe the existence of life as a necessary prerequisite for the observable constants of physics. Similarly, Stephen Jay Gould,[65][66] Michael Shermer,[67] and others claim that the stronger versions of the anthropic principle seem to reverse known causes and effects. Gould compared the claim that the universe is fine-tuned for the benefit of our kind of life to saying that sausages were made long and narrow so that they could fit into modern hotdog buns, or saying that ships had been invented to house barnacles. These critics cite the vast physical, fossil, genetic, and other biological evidence consistent with life having been fine-tuned through natural selection to adapt to the physical and geophysical environment in which life exists. Life appears to have adapted to the universe, and not vice versa.
  • ughghghghhgggggg i still have to buy a USB to SATA cable and save up another 60 bucks on top of that

...really?

Yes, Alice in Wonderland is a much better movie than is commonly recognized, because, and not in spite, of it's picaresque nature. Ed Wynn and Sterling Holloway turn in great performances.

And Piper At The Gates Of Dawn's place in psychedelica history is assured.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Odradek said:

naney said:

ganja?
    Byakuren said:

Odradek said:

naney said:

ganja?
    A E I O U

and sometimes w

We ain't gonna sell any of these motherfuckin' cuz

Let's go back to Marshall Durben's and hang some more chickens cuz
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Odradek said:

Byakuren said:

Odradek said:

naney said:

ganja?
    A E I O U

and sometimes w

We ain't gonna sell any of these motherfuckin' cuz

Let's go back to Marshall Durben's and hang some more chickens cuz
    Whaaaaat?

I also like these nested quotes
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of my favorites

YNTKT
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

naney said:

I've always seen the anthropic principle used the opposite direction. To dispute the idea that the universe could have been designed, and therefore disprove religion.

Person A: Intelligent life can only exist if certain universal constants are within a very narrow range. A universe created by random chance is unlikely to get all the constants within that range. Intelligent life exists. Therefore design, therefore God.
    Person B: You can't observe a universe without intelligent life, so 100% of all observable universes will be capable of supporting intelligent life. That's not design. Checkmate, theists.
  • MetaFour said:

naney said:

I've always seen the anthropic principle used the opposite direction. To dispute the idea that the universe could have been designed, and therefore disprove religion.

Person A: Intelligent life can only exist if certain universal constants are within a very narrow range. A universe created by random chance is unlikely to get all the constants within that range. Intelligent life exists. Therefore design, therefore God.
    Person B: You can't observe a universe without intelligent life, so 100% of all observable universes will be capable of supporting intelligent life. That's not design. Checkmate, theists.

same
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    so in the last 2 weeks I've had three people with over 1,000 followers follow me on Twitter

one of them is Chuck D

in spite of me doing almost nothing but retweeting people and replying to strangers

weird
    naney said:

MetaFour said:

naney said:

same
    Interesting. Huh.

so in the last 2 weeks I've had three people with over 1,000 followers follow me on Twitter

one of them is Chuck D

in spite of me doing almost nothing but retweeting people and replying to strangers

weird
    Cool!
  • edited 2014-07-06 23:11:09
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Also, Pyrid: Ganja is another word for weed, specifically dried marijuana buds as opposed to hardened resin or oil (hashish) or powdered secretions mixed with tobacco (kif).
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Chuck D follows over 30,000 people on twitter though, so he almost certainly isn't reading anything I have to say, but it's bretty gool
  • I feel like a kindergarten kid who has walked into a college course.

"Hai, look at these blocks"

The thread: But then the mass expansion of the universe is globity gock
  • so in the last 2 weeks I've had three people with over 1,000 followers follow me on Twitter

one of them is Chuck D

weird
    tweet "hi" at him
  • I feel like a kindergarten kid who has walked into a college course.

"Hai, look at these blocks"

The thread: But then the mass expansion of the universe is globity gock

Just nod your head and play along until they turn around and you can clock them with a block.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

Also, Pyrid: Ganja is another word for weed, specifically dried marijuana buds as opposed to hardened resin or oil (hashish) or powdered secretions mixed with tobacco (kif).

:O
    I wouldn't ever lay my hand such kind of substance! U_U
    Legalize it.
    Don't criticize it.
    Legalize it,
    and I will advertise it.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Byakuren said:

:O
    I wouldn't ever lay my hand such kind of substance! U_U

Good. I detest that stuff.
    Uh, Al...
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    *Proceed to hide her thread*
  • edited 2014-07-06 23:38:44
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Best song about weed, IMO.
  • edited 2014-07-06 23:44:39

You know, St. Vincent's B-sides from her earlier albums were generally very low-key, but this could easily be an album cut, in terms of quality and intensity.

Interesting. Huh.

Personally, I'm intrigued by Hugh Ross's take on anthropism. His hypothesis: If God or a similar intelligent force created the universe, intending for intelligent life to arise and to learn important facts about the nature of the universe, then as we learn more about the nature of the universe, we'll find more and more universal constants that must be fine-tuned in order for intelligent life to exist.

But if the universe is just a product of random chance, then future universal constants we discover will be roughly evenly split between ones that have to be fine-tuned, and ones where any old value would support intelligent life.

I'm not entirely sure if the logic holds up, but I'm glad he's at least trying to make a testable model out of this.
    ^^ Good album.

^ I'm not sure that one or the other proves or disproves anything regarding the question of divinity. Faith is faith and if God exists, I'm pretty sure that such a being's existence would be scientifically neither provable or disprovable anyway.
    There's also a big difference between thinking that God exists, with or without evidence, and being on good terms with God.
  • edited 2014-07-07 00:19:43

(*evil jeff mangum voice*) I HATE YOU JEEEEESUS CHRIIIIIIST
  • edited 2014-07-07 00:20:06
    ^^ Or even thinking that you can make that call.

God is a complicated subject at the best of times.

^ And the worms in the wind are beginning to blooooow...
    naney said:

(*evil jeff mangum voice*) I HATE YOU JEEEEESUS CHRIIIIIIST

(David Byrne voice) COME ON DOWN, YOU OLD FART! LET'S SEE IF YOU HAVE GOT A HEART! IT AIN'T TRUE! IT'S ALL LIES! ARE YOU THE DEVIL IN DISGUISE? WON'T GIVE UP! WON'T BOW DOWN! I'M GONNA TEAR YOUR PLAYHOUSE DOWN!
    You know, "Strawberry Fields Forever" is a remarkably strange song in many, many ways. That downward chord change in the first part of the chorus is downright unnerving.
  • If I speak, will I be listened to?

If you speak to the Abyss for too long, the Abyss speaks back... and the abyss will post selfies and then post pictures of cats.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

evolution of a classic
  • I was walking home and thought of a thing with playing cards

I love how insane Paul sounds on basically every take of "Helter Skelter".
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Kexruct said:

I was walking home and thought of a thing with playing cards

What kind of thing?
  • kill living beings
    deep deep deep deep deep

deep deep deep deep deep

Jesus Christ, why is love so lonely?