The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I started reading early and definitely was reading above my age level. I don't think they just say that, mostly.

One of my most irritating gradeschool memories was getting a free book for my birthday at the school library. They wouldn't let me have the one I wanted (a chapter book) and isntead made me take a picture book that I didn't want at all... Like, if you're going to let the kid pick their book, don't tell them they can't have the one they want. It was also definitely one I was capable of reading at the time :(
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    31e36405af718764cd7586c475f0982fceddc6f9fd6bc1eedf4dc8f15e866c93.jpg
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    When I was in kindergarten I used to go to a first grade class for reading because apparently I was above my level.

Fat lotta good this did me in the end, but whatever
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There was a time in third grade when I wanted to read a picture book and was told I couldn't because it was below my reading level

Thanks for bringing that memory back :(
    bastards.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

There was a time in third grade when I wanted to read a picture book and was told I couldn't because it was below my reading level

I had similar experiences...

In fourth grade, we had to pick a book every week to read and take a short quiz on. It was tedious, but it was fine.

Then in fifth grade, they decided that we'd have to take a reading test and we'd only be allowed to choose books at our reading level. The problem was...I tested at a "high school graduate" level, and it was almost impossible to find books in our elementary school library that satisfied the requirements for me.
  • it's probably for the best that as far as I can tell canada has no concept of "reading level"
    I wonder what exactly qualifies as "high school graduate" reading level. Because I reached that pretty early on too, and I don't think I was ever really a tremendously good reader. I guess the standard is low
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    @Aliroz: Most of the sources I can find suggest that "Deseret" is a reference to the Egyptian name/word root for the crown of Lower Egypt (d-s-r-t) which has a weird semantic connection to the word for "bee."
  • Anonus said:

In fourth grade, we had to pick a book every week to read and take a short quiz on. It was tedious, but it was fine.

Then in fifth grade, they decided that we'd have to take a reading test and we'd only be allowed to choose books at our reading level. The problem was...I tested at a "high school graduate" level, and it was almost impossible to find books in our elementary school library that satisfied the requirements for me.
    yeeeep

I remember having to write a book report on Flatland because it was one of the few things I was "allowed" to write it on

it's probably for the best that as far as I can tell canada has no concept of "reading level"

Good
  • kill living beings

Anonus said:

lol same, i just read everything anyway, fuck the police. after i graduated i donated a programming book

ANYWAY rogue one was seriously very good i say on the internet for the third time
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Yes, I liked Rogue One a bunch.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I enjoyed the heck out of Rogue One.
    Centie and I are wondering if we should see that during our meetup
  • kill living beings
    do you like explosions and/or wetwork
    I'm not huge on those
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Rogue One is basically "Saving Private Ryan, but in the Star Wars universe". The violence is only PG-13 level and mostly bloodless, but it’s definitely a War Movie, unlike most SW movies which are high fantasy set in space. If that doesn't appeal to you, you probably won't like the movie.
    A Star Wars movie about war? Nonsensical
  • next one is going to be a nature documentary created by the Republic Public Broadcasting Service talking about plasma beings that live on stars, featuring a voiceover by Gungan David Attenborough
  • kill living beings
    Tamlin said:

next one is going to be a nature documentary created by the Republic Public Broadcasting Service talking about plasma beings that live on stars, featuring a voiceover by Gungan David Attenborough

my favorite star wars movies are going to be all the unnumbered ones, then
    MetaFour said:

Rogue One is basically "Saving Private Ryan, but in the Star Wars universe". The violence is only PG-13 level and mostly bloodless, but it’s definitely a War Movie, unlike most SW movies which are high fantasy set in space. If that doesn't appeal to you, you probably won't like the movie.

see I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan and am scared to
  • war movies that are based on actual conflicts are like 99% stupid propaganda bullshit so I doubt you're missing anything
  • Unnecessary Gloomy Proclamation: This new trend of Star Wars movies branching out into new genres will mean that Star Wars, and by corollary Disney, is going to dominate more and more of the movie market until everything is under the dark gaze of the Mouse.
    Look, I'm depressed enough, okay?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Unnecessary Gloomy Proclamation: This new trend of Star Wars movies branching out into new genres will mean that Star Wars, and by corollary Disney, is going to dominate more and more of the movie market until everything is under the dark gaze of the Mouse.

Nah.
  • edited 2017-01-02 01:46:34
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Unnecessary Gloomy Proclamation: This new trend of Star Wars movies branching out into new genres will mean that Star Wars, and by corollary Disney, is going to dominate more and more of the movie market until everything is under the dark gaze of the Mouse.

Not if Universal has anything to say about it, and not if WB gets their actt together
  • edited 2017-01-02 01:46:49
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    God, I hate how COMCAST is now La Resistance
  • edited 2017-01-02 01:42:58
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Language, Nonny.

Swears are bad luck.

See, this is why I get all the things I want and nothing ever changes in a way that upsets m-GAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

-incoherent sobbing.-
    Fuck.
    I'm sorry
  • edited 2017-01-02 01:49:14
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Why is it, "La Resistance", with the, "La"?  Is it a reference to the French Resistance in the second World War?  Is it  a reference to any of the French revolutions?
    Those posts have been cleaned up
  • Aliroz said:

Why is it, "La Resistance", with the, "La"?

The French Resistance did it, and since it's one of the few things that America remembers fondly about France, the Académie française secretly manipulates our thoughts so we always refer to resistance the way they did.

France really should cut their budget a bit.
  • plot twist, france hasn't actually existed since 1962
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

plot twist, france hasn't actually existed since 1962

How silly. You're thinking of Luxembourg.
  • plot twist, france hasn't actually existed since 1962

How silly. You're thinking of Luxembourg.
    so they've gotten to you,  have they?
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Aliroz you stupid traitorous jerk!  

The real way to avoid bad luck is to give ME all of your money, in addition to not swearing.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    No, 2010 self, it is I who have scammed you!  For you are condemned by time to give all of your money to me!  Giving you my money would simply return it to me, possibly with interest!

• Tamlin said:
    This was a good program and I was obsessed with it as a youngin
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    If AlirozTheConfused is your 2010 self, does that mean that at some point in the past 7 years you stopped being confused?
    Who hurt goons so badly that they think Shamus Young is worth listening to
  • Shamus Young Dot Com. I have produced an unbelievable volume of content over the years.

this is odradek's mortal foe
  • naney what was your favorite critter in The Future Is Wild
  • edited 2017-01-02 02:12:40
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I feel like I'm supposed to condemn vandalism, but screw it, when it's done in an amusing and ultimately harmless way, good work.