The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    cool
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Very important question: What were good anime in Autumn 2016?
  • edited 2017-01-01 02:08:44
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Very important question: What were good anime in Autumn 2016?

Yuri!!! on ICE, Keijo!!!!!!!! was legitimately okay (if you like absurdity), the sequels (H! E S2, Haikyuu, etc), watch at least the first episode of Occultic;Nine, Sangatsu no Lion is apparently aight at least, Flip Flappers, WWW.Working!!, Gi(a)rlish Number, Fune wo Amu apparently probably, MSG IBO S2 of course, Gakuen Handsome, Teekyuu 8, Kubikiri Cycle is on my list for obvious reasons. Oh and JJBA goes without saying, but also JJBA DIU.
    Teekyu, always Teekyu
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Regular atheist Joe = low level saiyan

Youtube atheist = SSJ1

Published atheist = SSJ2

Hrisi Ali level = SSJ3

Sam Harris = SSJ4

Dick Dawkins = turn into Oozaru to prove evolution and to defeat those fundies.

Edit: Also, Hitchens = Bardock

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EAST COAST
    You weirdos, living in the past.

dat thumbnail
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Ten minutes.
    (2015 self)
    Nine minutes.
    (2015 self)
    Eight minutes.
    (2015 self)
    Seven minutes.
  • kill living beings
    eight minutes and one second
    (2015 self)
    Six minutes.
    (2015 self)
    Five minutes.

This year will die this cursed year will die and we can begin again.
    (2015 self)
    Four minutes.
    Quesadilla minutes.
    (2015 self)
    Three minutes.

No year is all bad. Even 2016 deserves to have its good stuff remembered.
    (2015 self)
    Two minutes.

Nine new bee species were discovered by guys at USU. So, that's neat.
    (2015 self)
    One minute.

I forgive you, 2016.
    (2015 self)
    Zero minutes.

2017 is here.
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

Two minutes.

wow what? awesome.

somehow it had never occured to me that utah might be interested in bee research, even though it's kind of obvious

though i don't know how well actual bees do there. climate and semidesert and all
    we should ask Bee
  • edited 2017-01-01 07:12:26
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Someone screenshot it that I got in on the first second.

Wait nevermind the seconds stay forever.

MY WORK IS PRESERVED.
  • edited 2017-01-01 07:13:19
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Aliroz said:

Two minutes.

wow what? awesome.

somehow it had never occured to me that utah might be interested in bee research, even though it's kind of obvious

though i don't know how well actual bees do there. climate and semidesert and all
    Their state highway marker is a beehive too!

Also, they're bad at keeping them consistent.
  • edited 2017-01-01 07:18:40
    (2015 self)
    http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/12/27/Ant-like-bees-among-newly-discovered-desert-species/4241482866635/

We are not bad at making them consistent. We just have multiple different ones so that counterfeiters get a false sense of security and fail. Also to track princesses when they visit, as her highway power harmonises them, making them resonate at frequencies dependant upon location and beehive design.
  • kill living beings

Aliroz said:

Two minutes.

wow what? awesome.

Their state highway marker is a beehive too!

Also, they're bad at keeping them consistent.
    it was originally going to be the name of the state and all. but then they switched to an actual native language word. whatevs.

and: desert bees. right. i didn't know there were desert bees. i suppose it is not surprising. i keep forgetting not all bees live in hives.
  • edited 2017-01-01 07:26:01
    (2015 self)
    We were gonna call the land Deseret. It is Sanskrit. It means, Land of the Bee.

It was a good and beautiful name.

We are calling the land Utah.

It is a good and beautiful name.

Both are accepted and understood, though visitors and foreigners are much less likely to use Deseret.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aliroz said:

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/12/27/Ant-like-bees-among-newly-discovered-desert-species/4241482866635/

We are not bad at making them consistent. We just have multiple different ones so that counterfeiters get a false sense of security and fail. Also to track princesses when they visit, as her highway power harmonises them, making them resonate at frequencies dependant upon location and beehive design.

If it would make you feel any better I could show you some pretty awful Ohio highway signs
    "How are you?" "I'm fine, and Utah?"
    (2015 self)
    Okay, sure, our beehives and bee motifs are based in the old-world honeybee, like how the pioneers are of old world descent or were immigrants and refugees from the old world; but the reason bees were thought of in the first place is that there are a lot of them. 900 native species.
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

It is Sanskrit.

wat
    Aliroz said:

Okay, sure, our beehives and bee motifs are based in the old-world honeybee, like how the pioneers are of old world descent or were immigrants and refugees from the old world; but the reason bees were thought of in the first place is that there are a lot of them. 900 native species.

yeah i mean i didn't actually realize bumblebees lived underground until college. not my finest hour
    Incorrect. Bees live inside human souls. The name comes from "Beecoming One".
  • edited 2017-01-01 07:50:56
    (2015 self)
    Well, more precisely, the Adamic tongue, the original language of angels and God and Adam.

It is demi-canon that Sanskrit is in some rather direct way descended from the Adamic. It was a word in a language that eventually became Sanskrit.

Revelation is strange like that.

Needlessly wide OH 37 sign

Comically fat Interstate 70 shield

Antique Olive (I think, @Anonus can correct me if I'm wrong) on a traffic sign...somehow

"No Passing Zone" mounted on the wrong side of the road

Ugly Helvetica shields

Arial and Highway Gothic on the same sign

Those are the worst Ohio road signs I have photos of at hand, though I've seen much worse.
  • kill living beings
    i was under the impression it was jaredese. good job with the 1800s vintage philology though.
    oh snap
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Aliroz said:

We were gonna call the land Deseret. It is Sanskrit. It means, Land of the Bee.

It was a good and beautiful name.

We are calling the land Utah.

It is a good and beautiful name.

Both are accepted and understood, though visitors and foreigners are much less likely to use Deseret.

don't you have a newspaper named the Deseret News?
  • edited 2017-01-01 08:02:56
    (2015 self)
    Klino: Fair enough. Modern revelations only really are acceptable with regards to such things as ancient language if one takes them as, in fact, revelations. Otherwise, it is, indeed, vintage 1800s philology.

• kill living beings
    i mean i like sanskrit and all but not to the extent that i want to devalue humans like the sandwich man

anyway happy little-over-nine-months-until-AH 1439-or-AM 5778
  • edited 2017-01-01 08:16:20
    (2015 self)
    Ah, yes, the father of Linguistics, Panini. Not to be confused with his brother, Hoagie.

He inspired Ferdinand de Sausage.
    (2015 self)
    RESURGAM.
    Wow, someone knows the word "hoagie"!
    One of the weirdest things in the 2000s was the parents who raged over the Junie B. Jones series because Junie B. uses improper English.

Like...Junie B. is a kindergartener, but kindergarteners aren't the target audience. They're for kids in first or second grade, and if you're old enough to read these books on your own, you're old enough to...you know, get the joke.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The timestamps on my end say "Jan 01 2016"
    I had that happen before. Something about the way Vanilla handles time zones confuses it about which year it is for a few hours.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

One of the weirdest things in the 2000s was the parents who raged over the Junie B. Jones series because Junie B. uses improper English.

Like...Junie B. is a kindergartener, but kindergarteners aren't the target audience. They're for kids in first or second grade, and if you're old enough to read these books on your own, you're old enough to...you know, get the joke.
    I'm actually pretty sure I read those during kindergarten and had moved on to other books by 1st and 2nd grade, heh.

I'm actually pretty sure I read those during kindergarten and had moved on to other books by 1st and 2nd grade, heh.
    Honestly? Me too, but I figured I was an outlier because I was always told my reading level was way more advanced than other kids my age.

Is that something teachers tell all kids, and I just fell for it?