• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The trains here are nicer than DIA's
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Nah, it's muggy.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Gonna fly to Columbus from here
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

So opinion started low and is sinking further....

You know, I don't really get this.

Like, I get thinking, "I probably won't like this person's work very much," given such information, but you're framing it like, "This person must be a dreadful human being," which is just not indicated by the information at hand. A man write rather grim suspense fiction, then makes a joke about his own reputation as a writer, and apparently that's some negative reflection on his character?

Unless you're quasi-joking here, which seems plausible. But it managed to fly over my head, and most tonal humour should be dunce-proof unless it's explicitly meant not to be.
    (For the record, half the irony of the quote is that Robert Bloch was apparently an unbelievably nice person; he just happened to have an exceedingly dark sense of humour—which, in my experience, is not uncommon with nice people, let alone incompatible.)
    Actually you will find that nice people have a pretty foolish sense of humor.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    That just reminds me of how the official subs for Danganronpa 3 translated Makoto's catchphrase as "That... isn't hope!"
  • kill living beings
    i really don't understand what the thought process behind "translator's note: X means Y" is
  • Jane said:

Like, I get thinking, "I probably won't like this person's work very much," given such information, but you're framing it like, "This person must be a dreadful human being," which is just not indicated by the information at hand. A man write rather grim suspense fiction, then makes a joke about his own reputation as a writer, and apparently that's some negative reflection on his character?

Unless you're quasi-joking here, which seems plausible. But it managed to fly over my head, and most tonal humour should be dunce-proof unless it's explicitly meant not to be.
    I am really quite tired of you jumping down my throat for every statement (meant sincerely or not) I make that you disagree with.
    It's to maintain *that Japanese flavor*

As if the fact that everyone is living in tatami rooms and eating onigiri with chopsticks doesn't do that, someone needs to call their mom okasan
    Jane said:

Jane said:

I am really quite tired of you jumping down my throat for every statement (meant sincerely or not) I make that you disagree with.
    See, no.

You are well aware that I try to respond reasonably politely to things that bother or confuse me no matter who says them, and occasionally I flub that and wind up being intemperate or rude, usually because I let my frustration with other things seep into it. And yet it seems like you are dead set on taking this like some kind of personal offence and overreacting any time I say, "You stepped on my toes."

It's possible that you do receive these complaints slightly more often than most people here, but it's not because you're a terrible, annoying person or because I dislike you.
    Going to go lay me down for a wee bit. This has not been a good day.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

See, no.

You are well aware that I try to respond reasonably politely to things that bother or confuse me no matter who says them, and occasionally I flub that and wind up being intemperate or rude, usually because I let my frustration with other things seep into it. And yet it seems like you are dead set on taking this like some kind of personal offence and overreacting any time I say, "You stepped on my toes."

It's possible that you do receive these complaints slightly more often than most people here, but it's not because you're a terrible, annoying person or because I dislike you.
    See, yes, though.

I shouldn't have to explain at length a quip about an author whose work I've never actually read? It was obviously not serious. I'm never serious when I make those kinds of statements yet for some reason everyone takes them completely straight. It's honestly baffling.
  • I am just bothered that somehow my occasional joking about being a killjoy has lead people to think I actually am one.
  • anyway watching the Binding of Isaac subreddit go down in flames because AB+ isn't out yet has been amusing
    Jane said:

Jane said:

Jane said:

See, no.

See, yes, though.

I shouldn't have to explain at length a quip about an author whose work I've never actually read? It was obviously not serious. I'm never serious when I make those kinds of statements yet for some reason everyone takes them completely straight. It's honestly baffling.
    I'm sorry. I just get upset easily and am bad with tone if I can't hear someone saying something. ._.
    Jane said:
    This is funny but I can't figure out exactly *why.*

Also I should probably go to bed. I was going to earlier but I wound up talking with my sister.
  • it's funny because it's totally irrelevant to anything also please check LET'S GO BOIIIIIIS that thread is Very Important
    An extremely important thread indeed.

Urgently Thread.

and then nicalis reveal they haven't even uploaded the build yet
    Is it just me, or do dudes on the internet persistently confuse "Is a curmudgeonly writer who has good grammar and spelling and often uses profanity and analogies to describe how unpleasant or dumb a thing is" with "Is a god-tier writer sent from the heavens to save us from our sins"
  • kill living beings
    nah
    They do, because they don't read.
    Nah Olos, decorated general of the Empire.

nah

Now, most of the link in question is just flaming and “he’s full of shit,” and I don’t care about that, because either you enjoy reading John Solomon and company’s rants or you don’t. It’s a taste. Presumably the people who don’t like reading John Solomon likewise have an intense dislike for the works of Joe Queenan or Ambrose Bierce or Lester Bangs, and this is, I believe, their loss.

(It’s certainly stupid, of course, to suggest, as some have, that John Solomon is a “bad writer.” I recognize the need to claim bullshit as gospel truth out of a sense of spite, but come on – either you recognize simple writerly skill at crafting inflammatory rhetoric, or you don’t. As Penny Arcade once said, paraphrased – which is it, are you stupid or a liar?)

Odradek said:

nah

Now, most of the link in question is just flaming and “he’s full of shit,” and I don’t care about that, because either you enjoy reading John Solomon and company’s rants or you don’t. It’s a taste. Presumably the people who don’t like reading John Solomon likewise have an intense dislike for the works of Joe Queenan or Ambrose Bierce or Lester Bangs, and this is, I believe, their loss.

(It’s certainly stupid, of course, to suggest, as some have, that John Solomon is a “bad writer.” I recognize the need to claim bullshit as gospel truth out of a sense of spite, but come on – either you recognize simple writerly skill at crafting inflammatory rhetoric, or you don’t. As Penny Arcade once said, paraphrased – which is it, are you stupid or a liar?)

That is the most bizarrely pretentious comparison I've ever seen, and kind of proves my point...
  • kill living beings
    i meant "nah" as in "nah it's not just you"
    Meanwhile the dude's actual writing read like this

I could end my review right here, really. That kind of blatant laziness and formulaic lack of creativity is hard to top, and that's not even factoring in how insufferably smug that little shit is. But I want to talk about Steve-O's writing, if you want to call it that. First of all, Despite being 2 years old, the comic has running gags, or as I like to call them, cheap gimmicks. The first one is "rejected megaman villains" and the other is "video games I'm glad were never made". Now, despite not meeting the running gag requirement of being funny or getting funnier each time they're shown (not that the maker of Dueling Analogs knows thing one about comedy), I'm told these are the most popular strips, which leads me to wonder exactly what kind of man-apes Napkinski's audience is made up of. Also note that the second running gag is in the exact same formula as recurring photoshop contests from both Something Awful and Fark, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence, since you'd have to be a total fucking unoriginal hack and borderline retard to steal from such well-known sites.

Beyond his recurring gimmicks, Steve-O also loves using the Mario Brothers, but not as much as he loves reminding you that they're gayhomos who take it up the buttWith each other. LOL! Popular video game characters depicted as sexual deviants? That's totally fresh, edgy and in my face, man! I feel like I'm on Newgrounds circa 1998!

That's a consummately obnoxious way to frame fairly self-evident points.
    Then you must dislike the works of Joe Queening, Amber Bangs, and Lester Fierce, which is, I believe, your loss
    Tripe.
    Even John Solomon doesn't like John Solomon's writing anymore
    Last I checked he's retired to SA to talk about TRPGs he likes and Gunnerkrig Court and is really embarassed that people preserved his old webcomics blog and idolized a persona he detests now.
  • Odradek said:

nah

I'm honestly not sure why thou keepest harping on this almost decade-old post and presenting it as a modern example of what thou'rt talking about

I guess it is p embarrassing in hindsight, but still
    People still do it

It's just most of the "curmudgeonly writer who has good grammar and spelling and often uses profanity and analogies to describe how unpleasant or dumb a thing is" are outright reactionary and nobody wants to hear from their drooling fans, so I had to go back to a time when people were just weird about webcomics
  • tbf, I used to be one of those dudes who thought that sort of thing was funny and 'transgressive' >_>
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I used to like John Solomon, too. >_>

If there's one good thing #GG did, it's flush out most of whatever remained of that attitude from the tolerable parts of the Internet.
    Yes and no.

The Tumblr/Twitter Left does love its mean-spirited hot takes.
    I think they've been trying to rebrand as the Dirtbag Left
    GGers, you mean?
  • edited 2017-01-03 23:57:32
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I thought most #GGers had abandoned the pretence of being left-wing by now.

GGers, you mean?

No dudes who call people retards but also want to be woke leftists who hate liberals
    Odradek said:

GGers, you mean?

No dudes who call people retards but also want to be woke leftists who hate liberals
    So like if you took Bill Maher and subtracted the tolerable qualities.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've got an Anonus and you don't

So take that!!

Odradek said:

GGers, you mean?

So like if you took Bill Maher and subtracted the tolerable qualities.
    Does not compute

I've got an Anonus and you don't

So take that!!

Fuck you're right