The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that's not true, but i'm irritated
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    It actually basically is, TBH.
  • edited 2016-07-01 00:42:54
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's an awkward term at best, but, eh.
  • The weird thing is that I distinctly remember this never being the case during the Har Har Tharsdays era (and the time afterward when AT and RS were making their way onto the network) but, like, there were a few Foster's premieres that used the Bomb format (while it wasn't referred to as such it was still the same sort of thing- the last wave of episodes all aired on the same day in May '09, for one)
  • that doesn't change the fact that #millennials like to #binge their favorite shows

(*taco bell PR person voice*) it's on cleek, which means "on point" in dat slang doe
  • Generational divisions are completely arbitrary and exist only to service a revolving door of various corporations including but not limited to news and media conglomerates and advertisers.

So no, you're perfectly right.
  • You would have to provide me a pretty big incentive to click that soundcloud link.
    i'm a hypocrite if i start denying things are words when people say them and it's evident what they mean by it

that word annoys the heck out of me though
  • Oh no, it's a word, it's just a fucking stupid word.

Like "alternator" and "schmooze".
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre said:

The weird thing is that I distinctly remember this never being the case during the Har Har Tharsdays era (and the time afterward when AT and RS were making their way onto the network) but, like, there were a few Foster's premieres that used the Bomb format (while it wasn't referred to as such it was still the same sort of thing- the last wave of episodes all aired on the same day in May '09, for one)

wasn't CN just dumping out the show's final episodes to get them over with because they suddenly decided Foster's was some sort of liability?
    Tachyon said:

i kinda don't like the StevenBomb format

i don't like waiting ages, and then it's all in one week, and then we wait forever again

i'd much rather have the episodes spread out, one a week

animation takes time

it'd be preferable to have one bomb a month, or to have actual seasons like MLP:FIM does, but that isn't how CN rolls

(then again, GF and Star have/had actual seasons too, and still Disney premieres episodes erratically and has lengthy breaks between seasons, though Nefcy said the hiatus between seasons 2 and 3 of Star isn't going to be as long as this one)
  • the thing that's powerful about this is we do this brand message consistently, and when we do the brand message consistently, we end up in a place where, to borrow a millennial phrase, we're "on cleek". So, probably not everybody in this room knows what I'm talking about right now, that means you're on point, alright? that means you have momentum, that's how millennials talk about, y'get me? alright, we were on cleek with breakfast, with our social engagement, our mobile ordering, and with the way we are transforming the experience in our restaurants.
  • Cracked has never been a 10/10 site but I feel like it has been very "off" lately.
    Jane said:

Cracked has never been a 10/10 site but I feel like it has been very "off" lately.

I imagine that is Scripps making its presence known
  • one of the most recent articles literally mentions the Scripps buyout at the end.

I'm sure it was supposed to come across as a self-aware jab, but it doesn't.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    the black girl who first coined "on fleek" got basically nothing for it
  • what is scripps
    Anonus said:

Tre said:

The weird thing is that I distinctly remember this never being the case during the Har Har Tharsdays era (and the time afterward when AT and RS were making their way onto the network) but, like, there were a few Foster's premieres that used the Bomb format (while it wasn't referred to as such it was still the same sort of thing- the last wave of episodes all aired on the same day in May '09, for one)

wasn't CN just dumping out the show's final episodes to get them over with because they suddenly decided Foster's was some sort of liability?
    Tachyon said:

i kinda don't like the StevenBomb format

i don't like waiting ages, and then it's all in one week, and then we wait forever again

i'd much rather have the episodes spread out, one a week

animation takes time

it'd be preferable to have one bomb a month, or to have actual seasons like MLP:FIM does, but that isn't how CN rolls

(then again, GF and Star have/had actual seasons too, and still Disney premieres episodes erratically and has lengthy breaks between seasons, though Nefcy said the hiatus between seasons 2 and 3 of Star isn't going to be as long as this one)
    actual seasons is what i meant

i don't mind breaks between seasons, because then we get nice long periods of time with an episode to look forward to every week
  • what is scripps

a company.

They own things, but they're one of those companies whose presence is so vague I couldn't actually tell you what they own (other than Cracked).
  • I dunno, but that would be pretty sad if it were the case, if not necessarily surprising. At the least, I will give CN credit for letting the show end on its own terms. (*GLARES LIKE FUCK AT DISNEY XD*)

As far as the show's narrative went the de facto finale was Destination Imagination anyway; the last couple of episodes were mostly just kinda lighter fare to bring the series back to a relative normal state before it ended in full.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

CN's scheduling people probably don't watch much anime.

SHAFT are pretty good at turning a profit on their franchise properties. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if they'd given the model a look; it's completely different from actually watching all the Guitary series, which even most SHAFT fans haven't done.
  • edited 2016-07-01 01:01:01
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The E.W. Scripps Company is primarily a broadcaster - one that has seen better days at that. They bought Denver's ABC affiliate a few years ago and have run it into the ground.

(Before then, they ran the Rocky Mountain News into the ground and eventually shut it down, after 83 years of ownership)
    They also used to own the Food Network and HGTV before spinning those off to the better-run Scripps Networks Interactive.
  • Jane said:

SHAFT are pretty good at turning a profit on their franchise properties. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if they'd given the model a look; it's completely different from actually watching all the Guitary series, which even most SHAFT fans haven't done.
    the entire company on the business side is (and has been for a long time) pretty anime-phobic. I'd be surprised.

Not the people who actually make the shows, mind you. Just the people who count the beans.
    I have a feeling that all the anime enthusiasts ended up on the Adult Swim/Toonami side
  • kill living beings

actually watching all the Guitary series, which even most SHAFT fans haven't done.

:v
    Jane said:

what is scripps

a company.

They own things, but they're one of those companies whose presence is so vague I couldn't actually tell you what they own (other than Cracked).
    and yeah, TV station chains don't tend to be prominent unless they're, like, the Hearst Corporation, or the aforementioned KMGH's old owner McGraw-Hill (who sold it and their other TV stations to Scripps so as to focus on businesses it deemed more attractive to Wall Street)
    Tre said:

I dunno, but that would be pretty sad if it were the case, if not necessarily surprising. At the least, I will give CN credit for letting the show end on its own terms. (*GLARES LIKE FUCK AT DISNEY XD*) 

Pardon the irony here, but anytime Disney TVA decides to hang with the big boys they invariably decide they don't like that and revert to churning out endless The Series and other IP plays
    Jane said:

Jane said:

the entire company on the business side is (and has been for a long time) pretty anime-phobic. I'd be surprised.

Not the people who actually make the shows, mind you. Just the people who count the beans.
    that's interesting to hear - you know where I could read more about this?

actually watching all the Guitary series, which even most SHAFT fans haven't done.

:v
    Klino confirmed for the Worst Kind of Weeaboo.
    Jane said:

Jane said:

Money is money.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

that's interesting to hear - you know where I could read more about this?
    uh, /r/stevenuniverse

that's where I learned all of this anyway. 
    did they cite any sources?

I'm just wondering because - not the same community - but /co/ is FULL of people just stating hearsay as fact
  • Several members there are/were interns for CN. I'd give you names but I have a hard time remembering reddit usernames for some reason.

Granted they could all just be making that up but they've never said anything that seemed weird or inplausible.

Toonami having a very small staff is known though. DeMarco talks about it fairly often.
    Again, you can hate Japanese animation and still recognise a good business decision regardless of where it comes from.
  • Again, you can hate Japanese animation and still recognise a good business decision regardless of where it comes from.

Dude I just missed your post.

Even if I hadn't I am not sure what you'd want me to say to it.
    I wasn't trying to be aggressive. It's entirely possible they were completely unaware of it, for one thing. I just find it kind of funny and interesting.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Wow I can't believe John Goodman was the Cloverfield monster in a skinsuit the whole time
  • ...I still haven't seen the movie yet so I'm going to assume that you're taking the piss, though if that actually were how they ended up doing things I guess it wouldn't be terribly out of left field

(I'm not really the type to rail on folks for spoiling things, but even then, I feel like that movie's probably going to work best with me not knowing a damn thing about it.)
    https://vine.co/v/5z1uIIx1DYP

What the heck is the name of this song
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

gay
    So gay.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    They did a dub? :o
    Yeah! Apparently it's not bad? I don't know much else about it.
    i'm sure it will be daijoubu
    Indeed.

Coincidentally, daijoubu is something of an arc word in Dance with Devils, I recall.