The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2016-07-02 04:20:47
    For the record, as someone who lives in eastern Canada, we have cardboard milk cartons here too (in addition to the bags).

I've seen plastic jugs occasionally as well but they're not as common.

We also have UHT milk in cardboard containers, my mom likes to keep some around for "emergencies" (which mostly just means someone forgetting to buy normal milk).
  • Jane said:

naney

cardboard milk cartons.
    cardboard is for half-n-half damn it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Like I said, I didn't even realize UHT milk was a thing before my family started getting it from the food pantry...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You see little plastic pots of it in cafés sometimes, my old school canteen had them

weird stuff
  • edited 2016-07-02 04:27:38
    I learned about it from Father Ted.
    i first learned about UHT in food tech class, iirc
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It occurs to me that the milk they have sitting around in little pitchers at room temperature at the campus coffee shops is probably UHT, though I never use that since I put half-and-half in my coffee
    what's half-and-half?
  • lemonade and iced tea mixed together and sold in the same unit.
    Tachyon said:

what's half-and-half?

Half milk, half cream.

Jane said:

lemonade and iced tea mixed together and sold in the same unit.

Do they call that half-and-half in Pennsylvania? I always heard it called an Arnold Palmer.
  • Arnold Palmer is the brand name but there are other companies that sell half-n-half.
    Where I live people call it "Arnold Palmer" regardless of brand name, the same way we use genericized trademarks like "Band-Aid" or "Popsicle".
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    so uh what do they call half-and-half in Pennsylvania
  • Anonus said:

so uh what do they call half-and-half in Pennsylvania

half-and-half.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Tachyon said:

"shelf-stable milk" that comes in a box and doesn't need refrigerated

im really concerned

Parmalat can literally sit in your closet for months until you open it, at which point you kind of have to refrigerate it. It's thicker than regular milk and a lot more... concentrated, I guess? Tasty, though, and good for cooking if used judiciously. I think it started as a French WWII war ration.
    It's time I read some of Roald Dahl's stuff aimed at grownups

I have a book on reserve at the library; might pick it up tomorrow
    His short fiction is entertaining and morbid.
  • kill living beings
    I don't think I've ever bought ultra milk, since I go through milk so fast I never have it go bad

I could get some for similar Emergencies though... But I dun wanna replace it every few months
    being Literally Crazy isn't as cool and fun as fiction makes it out to be

i want a refund
  • kill living beings
    "In June 1993, Parmalat introduced its UHT milk to the United States.[13] In the American market, consumers are uneasy about consuming milk that is not delivered under refrigeration, and reluctant to buy it. To combat this, Parmalat is selling its UHT milk in old-fashioned containers, unnecessarily sold from the refrigerator aisle.[5]" lol
    My family's been buying it in the old box cartons for ever, though... :/
  • Where I live people call it "Arnold Palmer" regardless of brand name, the same way we use genericized trademarks like "Band-Aid" or "Popsicle".

this also applies at home, with the stipulation of maybe possibly being "half tea-half lemonade" depending on the context.

Like, as much as I would love to be able to trust my Cook Out server to be able to get me exactly what I want at the order mic when I ask for an Arnold Palmer, him and I both know the chances of that actually happening are slim to none.
  • edited 2016-07-02 06:20:06
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The Commander Lady With Zero Chill VS War Orphans.
  • Soy milk is usually sold in opaque cartons

So I have no bloody clue what most of you are on about

I'm not limited by as many dietary restrictions as you are, but I still prefer soy milk over cow's.

I was raised on it and rice milk so when I had regular milk for the first time it tasted too foreign for me
  • kill living beings
    Y'all need to join the next stage of evolution and not ruin your lactase
  • Nah, my lactase is good bruh

I like milk in other things, I just can't have it on its own (like, in my coffee or as cheese is okay, but not in a glass or with cereal).

Chocolate milk is also good.
  • I like milk but it tears me the fuck apart
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    Milk cartons just make me think of school lunch in high school. Who decides that kids should be served up food like pizza or a burger and thinks "Hey you know what would go great with this? Milk."
  • Epitome said:

Milk cartons just make me think of school lunch in high school. Who decides that kids should be served up food like pizza or a burger and thinks "Hey you know what would go great with this? Milk."

soft drinks are unhealthy and everything else is expensive

thus: milk
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    how is Tia Carrere not the most famous person in the world right now
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Odradek said:

A good thing to wake up to after a creepy dream.
    At best, a two.
    Silly.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

why
  • what is that from
  • edited 2016-07-02 19:13:05
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. Younger girl is Atra, older is Kudelia Aina Bernstein.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, um, I'mma play Fallout 3 on my friend's account today.  I think I'm gonna like it, I mean, I liked New Vegas, and SA doesn't seem to like Fallout 3, but I usually disagree with that website.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

So, um, I'mma play Fallout 3 on my friend's account today.  I think I'm gonna like it, I mean, I liked New Vegas, and SA doesn't seem to like Fallout 3, but I usually disagree with that website.

Cool.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

why

why
  • Aliroz said:

Having read the reasons for why SA doesn't like it, they're none of the things that you'd be concerned with.

You'll enjoy yourself ^_^
  • ive worn a pair, they feel pretty comfy and responsive

not my thing tho personally
    I am delirious from sleepiness so GOODNIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, EVERYBODY!!!
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'll admit to having a huge bias for New Vegas, because it is my only (and my first) Fallout game, and Honest Hearts is one of my top eight favorite games ever (an antidote to Stone and Parker's play, just when I needed it the most).

Caesar's Legion kinda stinks as a villain faction, though.  They're fun to explode, but not really all that interesting.