The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I have done my second year of university. 
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That image macro is fairly accurate, at the very least.

And yeah, the problem with MacFarlane has never been his politics. His heart really is in the right place. He's just...
    Toolsie said:

What's the grading system over there? 

Here, a 1st is <70%, a 2:1 is between 60% and 69%, a 2:2 is between 50-59% and a 3rd is between 40-49%. Anything lower than 40% means that you're a failure.

A for 90+, B for 80+, C for 70+, D for 60+. Lower than that is a fail, though some classes require you to pass with a C or higher for it to count towards your degree

I feel like the UK just counts points differently. That's almost an exact 20% gap there.

Incidentally, in my school district we also had a distinction between E and F, with the former being a non-passing grade over 50% that could in some circumstances be improved with extra credit work and the latter being a no-bones-about-it failing grade. Not sure how long that system lasted.

cinnamon =w=

It is good, yes.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

That image macro is fairly accurate, at the very least.

And yeah, the problem with MacFarlane has never been his politics. His heart really is in the right place. He's just...

I probably agree with him on more things than not, he is just a dumbass.

Also this is genuinely good 

• kill living beings
    Can you feel pain
  • Toolsie said:

What's the grading system over there? 

Here, a 1st is <70%, a 2:1 is between 60% and 69%, a 2:2 is between 50-59% and a 3rd is between 40-49%. Anything lower than 40% means that you're a failure.

A for 90+, B for 80+, C for 70+, D for 60+. Lower than that is a fail, though some classes require you to pass with a C or higher for it to count towards your degree

I feel like the UK just counts points differently. That's almost an exact 20% gap there.

Incidentally, in my school district we also had a distinction between E and F, with the former being a non-passing grade over 50% that could in some circumstances be improved with extra credit work and the latter being a no-bones-about-it failing grade. Not sure how long that system lasted.
    FWIW Canada is in the middle with 50% as a pass. We still sometimes use the American letter grades though just to be confusing. D is 50-59, C is 60-69, B is 70-79, and A has twice the range of the rest being 80-100.
  • I was going to cook, but I'm tempted to be really lazy and order a pizza...
  • edited 2016-05-11 18:20:10
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Protesters have always scared me, ever since I was a little kid.

Loud noises, crowds, signs.

And, well, now I understand the other aspects of it.  People agitating for change, disrupting the status quo, being willing to question authority.
    Aliroz said:

Do not question the widely held views, like "dissent is good", "a diversity of views is a desirable thing in a community" or, "questioning widely held views is a good thing.".

We are all rebels, and we should all have our own nonconformist opinions.  Get back out of line and think for yourself, soldier.

Pretty much this.  How do you expect me to take a society seriously if it is based in questioning of authority and the right to rebel?  From whence comes the right to rule?

I remember being kinda sad at eight when I learned that God didn't really appoint certain families in the middle ages to be kings, that that was just some baloney Alfred and Charlie made up.  Dang it, The Great and Le Mane.
  • edited 2016-05-11 18:30:09
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Probably the difference between my views and Centie's views (we had essentially the same views as kids) is that I grew up in a place where the police never really did anything because I live in what is statistically one of the safest places in the United States, where where the government was a vague entity somewhere very far away (it's easier to respect things from afar), in a semirural-semisuburban community, while Centie grew up in Ohio, where there are actual black people, and your vote actually matters, and politicians visit more than once every twenty years, I mean, the sixties actually happened in Ohio, and riots actually sometimes happen, and Ohio actually has things that happens, and has recognizably different decades.
  • kill living beings
    how am i expected to take a society seriously if it is impossible to tell whether anybody is saying things they don't believe because they think it's funny
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I mean, I was twelve before I learned that police officers typically had guns.  The ones I'd seen were all unarmed.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Well, I mean, things happen in Salt Lake City (and now Provo), but that's pretty much it.
  • kill living beings
    on the other end of things, you could live in the sticks, and never see cops except for that one time a ten year old accidentally shot and killed her brother and hey there's the sheriff with a rifle strapped to im
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Everything I hear about Civil War makes my soul die a little more
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I like their version of Spider-Man. Otherwise, ehhhhh.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-05-11 23:54:04

^^ Fair enough.

Yes, Furret was involved in that decision. Come to think of it, Normal just has a lot of really good designs. Dark is a touch baroque for me, although Mightyena and Zoroark are very good.

^ 2:1?

Normal is probably my favorite type (because I'm boring). I liked it even more back when the Togepi and Clefairy line were normal types. When those lines plus Gardevoir switched over to fairy typing in XY, suddenly a big chunk of my favorite Pokemon had become fairies. It was weird.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    But I guess it's fairly normal to you now? And the Normal type is kinda underrated, if... normal, yeah. Just like, I find it hard to knock a type that can learn a lot of common and useful stuff, like Surf and Thunderbolt. Like, imagining a Tauros suddenly bringing down some thunder is pretty choice if you ask me (also incredibly silly).
  • normal has most of the really weird pokemon
    arpeggio
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I recorded myself singing "Semi-Charmed Life" over the karaoke track but I can't upload it anywhere because both Tumblr and SoundCloud reject it as copyrighted content

Fuck this shit
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • edited 2016-05-12 00:26:52
    ಠ_ಠ
    I was talking to my mum on the phone today, and I realised just how Northern I sound.

I recorded myself singing "Semi-Charmed Life" over the karaoke track but I can't upload it anywhere because both Tumblr and SoundCloud reject it as copyrighted content

Fuck this shit
    I wonder just how sharp their content-detection softwares are.
  • edited 2016-05-12 00:52:11
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.

Fuck this shit
    I wonder just how sharp their content-detection softwares are.
    I know I've seen at least one case where an artist had their own music taken down because the content-detection detected that it was copyrighted (by said artist), and they couldn't find a way to put it back up.
    freakin' bizarre
  • kill living beings
    if it has the instrumental in it it should be pretty easy to detect.
    suppose I play the instrumental part myself, in a different key and tempo

I assume it won't catch that.
  • kill living beings
    less likely
  • i assume it works by comparing waveforms or smthn like that
  • RPG character class idea: the Trinketeer. Can't gain levels, but has no limit on the amount of accessories they can equip.
    so basically some brainless ditz loose at the mall
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    that seems like a product you'd hate honestly
    Anonus said:

that seems like a product you'd hate honestly
    It does? I dunno, I would enjoy cracking DD/lg jokes about it.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well, that part would appeal to you, but besides that I thought you'd hate the paternalistic stuff
    oh, right
  • Kexruct said:

RPG character class idea: the Trinketeer. Can't gain levels, but has no limit on the amount of accessories they can equip.

Slow down, Sauron. 
    and I get people who come in the store and say "do you sell any computers that don't have Windows 10? I heard Windows 10 is evil"

no, we don't
  • You don't have Macs?
    We don't sell any Apple products, that's for the Apple Store, I guess

in related news, fuck Apple
  • Apple is pretty stingy about who can sell those. More often than not you're just going to find them at an Apple Store, at least, when brick-and-mortar is concerned.

I think Best Buy might sell them too, but it'd be a bit more limited in selection, I'd imagine.
  • gotta maintain that veneer of exclusivity
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    it used to be that apple only went through dealers. they tried mass-marketing in the 1990s, but that did nothing to get them any cachet against the Dells and PBs at Wal-Mart, so when Jobs came back, he put a stop to it. Since then, a few big boxes have been authorized (in MIcro Center's case, it helped that they were a dealer even before the Performa mess), and some of the old apple dealers from the 1980s are still around, but the store is their intended retail hub now.
    I wouldn't mind owning an Apple computer

I'm considering getting a MacBook if Butterfly '13 ever bites the dust