The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    btw we're converting HH to a wiki soon

you should all register accounts on the new site
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    groovy
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm honestly way more against how mainstream nerd culture treats superhero movies like they're some special thing that proves Hollywood is paying attention to them and should be taken as some grand metanarrative than, well, the movies themselves, which can be good or bad on their own terms.
  • edited 2016-05-11 02:25:17
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I too wish that we could just talk about superhero movies without people getting upset
    I wish we could talk about something else
  • can we talk about how fucking bitchin' Stellaris is.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what is that
    so space colonization
  • Jane said:

can we talk about how fucking bitchin' Stellaris is.

it's real good and I can't stop playing
  • Anonus said:

so space colonization

I tried to enter the space around a black hole and was attacked by a sapient nebula.
  • Is that what those guys are?

I've got one of those black hole systems right next to my home system and I keep having manually route my ships to avoid going that way.
  • If you research them that's basically what it implies they are.

Something about their nervous system involving quantum entangling.
  • kill living beings
    [vibrates]
    [is perfectly still]
  • kill living beings
    [vibrates but in a more totipotent way]
    I look up "totipotent" and all I get is something about embryonic cells.

when you need to carry like

everything
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Except trousers, apparently.
  • I'm honestly way more against how mainstream nerd culture treats superhero movies like they're some special thing that proves Hollywood is paying attention to them and should be taken as some grand metanarrative than, well, the movies themselves, which can be good or bad on their own terms.

Definitely this. 

Also, Civil War was an indulgent mess, pretty much. I mean, The Avengers was indulgent, but it's also a straightforward and clearly-told story by comparison. Before we get into anything concerning fandoms and continuities, I just found Civil War to be a confusing film on its own terms. It's a story without clear moral lines (until the end, I guess?) that puts zero effort into depicting different ethical positions in anything but the broadest strokes. 

Also also, why is Iron Man the champion of government regulation and why is Captain America the one who is skeptical of it.
  • kill living beings
    capitalism is inherently statist!
  • I have something in my eye, and I'm trying to clear it out by crying.
  • kill living beings
    road of recollection
  • edited 2016-05-11 06:32:25

road of recollection

my fave MtG card
  • kill living beings
    be merry
  • This is one of the those times that my avatar sums up how I'm feeling.

And whether or not I get better will rely on how my Biology presentation goes today.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    *offers Tools some hot coffee straight from the Princess's kitchen*

Huh, it's earlier than it feels.
  • *doesn't drink coffee but takes it anyway because fuck it I need caffeine*

I'm honestly way more against how mainstream nerd culture treats superhero movies like they're some special thing that proves Hollywood is paying attention to them and should be taken as some grand metanarrative than, well, the movies themselves, which can be good or bad on their own terms.

Definitely this. 

Also, Civil War was an indulgent mess, pretty much. I mean, The Avengers was indulgent, but it's also a straightforward and clearly-told story by comparison. Before we get into anything concerning fandoms and continuities, I just found Civil War to be a confusing film on its own terms. It's a story without clear moral lines (until the end, I guess?) that puts zero effort into depicting different ethical positions in anything but the broadest strokes. 

Also also, why is Iron Man the champion of government regulation and why is Captain America the one who is skeptical of it.
    The other way around was probably too reminiscent of The Dark Knight Returns, where the all-American character sided with the government and the rich guy did not
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I haven't seen Civil War yet but Iron Man is a government contractor and Captain America's best friend is a fugitive from the government
  • Iron Man is also the guy who made a weapon of mass destruction and forbade the government from taking it from him. As Madass said earlier, basically a libertarian.
  • kill living beings
    um this was explained in the comics guys, "stark" was actually a modified doombot built as part of a nefarious plan to wipe emotional tension from the earth
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    unfortunately fantastic four is licensed to a different company and every fantastic four movie is bad so we'll never see the doombot orgy in the movies
  • You know what? I'm repping Popplio. 

I don't care that he looks like a complete goofball. Crystal gets the grass type, Naney gets the fire type, so I'm claiming the water type
    Calica said:

unfortunately fantastic four is licensed to a different company and every fantastic four movie is bad so we'll never see the doombot orgy in the movies

Disney will find a way to get Fox to cough those rights up, sooner or later
  • Anonus said:

Definitely this. 

The other way around was probably too reminiscent of The Dark Knight Returns, where the all-American character sided with the government and the rich guy did not
    That makes sense, in a way, but it would be juvenile reasoning on the filmmakers' parts. 

Calica said:

I haven't seen Civil War yet but Iron Man is a government contractor and Captain America's best friend is a fugitive from the government

The film never makes either of these points clear. Like, Cap's friend being a fugitive becomes clear, but that they're besties isn't. And that Stark has a contract is the kind of detail that bears repeating before the plot gets properly underway, so we have some kind of framework for understanding the choices these characters make. 

So basically, the Marvel cinematic universe is now doing the comic thing and not keeping new audiences up to speed. Which is fine in comics, since an individual issue is short, but a film is 90+ minutes of commitment on top of the price of admission. 
  • I don't think the fact that Tony is/was a contractor is really the thing, it was more to do with the fact that he was personally responsible for most of the carnage in Age of Ultron. Which they also don't really emphasize in this movie; it definitely expects you to have seen at least AoU and Winter Soldier already.

Part of why the sides are that way is also just because they are in the Civil War comic, despite the movie not actually being an adaptation in anything but name and a few plot points early on.

Anyway yeah I mostly still like the MCU and I did enjoy this movie, but it was a very silly movie that existed as an excuse to make superheroes fight each other and little more.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

You know what? I'm repping Popplio. 

I don't care that he looks like a complete goofball. Crystal gets the grass type, Naney gets the fire type, so I'm claiming the water type
    ^__^
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Popplio looks pretty great, yeah.

You know what? I'm repping Popplio. 

I guess I'll take normal or dark.
    Yarr's referring to the starters for Sun and Moon rather than anything broader, so uh, no Normal or Dark types exist relevant to what you're talking. Plus I'd be Flying or Dragon or both anyway.

You're totally a Mightyena though. Or Furret or Linoone.
  • edited 2016-05-11 15:49:30
    ಠ_ಠ
    Managed to get myself a 2:1 for a poster presentation I didn't do.

Granted, I was on the floor in an unconscious heap for most of the day the poster was due to be presented, but still.
  • edited 2016-05-11 15:50:39
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Fair enough.

Yes, Furret was involved in that decision. Come to think of it, Normal just has a lot of really good designs. Dark is a touch baroque for me, although Mightyena and Zoroark are very good.

^ 2:1?
    Furret is a sorely underrated walking fluffball and I'll hear nothing to the contrary. And yeah, Normal is one of the types that's most consistently pleased me throughout the years. Be it the Slakoth family, Tauros, the Lillipup family (obligatory comment that it made me think of AU), Kecleon... hee, I am excited.
  • edited 2016-05-11 16:07:53
    ಠ_ಠ
    A 2:1 is a Higher Second Class grade. 

It's basically saying "You did good, but you're not quite at a First Class level yet".

• First-class honours (1st)
    • Second-class honours, upper division (2:1)
    • Second-class honours, lower division (2:2)
    • Third-class honours (3rd)
    • Ordinary degree (pass)
    So a B+ here, I gather?
  • What's the grading system over there? 

Here, a 1st is <70%, a 2:1 is between 60% and 69%, a 2:2 is between 50-59% and a 3rd is between 40-49%. Anything lower than 40% means that you're a failure. 
  • A for 90+, B for 80+, C for 70+, D for 60+. Lower than that is a fail, though some classes require you to pass with a C or higher for it to count towards your degree
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/family-guy-spoofed-donald-trump-angering-republican-fans-a7014526.html

I like that Seth MacFarlane has pretty much always been a liberal who's consistently to the left of South Park on most issues, but he's such a moronic shithead that he might as well be to the right of the libertarians on South Park.