The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My zootopia-sona is a giraffe obviously. ... wait sorry. I'm not generally towering over people ^~^
  • -tosses Yarrun down a well- get dunked on.
  • For reals though, the sleep deprivation is real.

And not just because it's quite warm.

I'm worried about my exam results and the massive presentation I have to give and the mini lab report I still have to do
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am getting my mom the soundtrack for Hamilton for Mother's Day, which we are celebrating next week
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I am reading Lucian's True History

In it, the people of the moon go to war with the people of the sun, and they fight by spreading webs spun by giant spiders over the space between the moon and the morning star, and then riding giant vultures and spiders against each other
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sounds like true history, all right.
  • Apparently my mom's family name is from Lancashire and the rest of her family is primarily Welsh or Prussian in extraction. And my dad's family are all Ashkenazim. So I think I'm predisposed to prefer cold climates with lots of weather. The only outlier is that we definitely have some French in there, but it's probably from Normandy or Brittany or something because there are *no* sunbathing snowbirds in our clan. Except my Republican uncle, I guess, but he's just contrary. And I guess my mom, who gets the most astonishing tan, but there are parts of Wales where it's practically tropical because the jet stream's freaky like that.

I didn't know that about your mom's side of the family. That's cool. When you say Prussian, do you mean Post-Napoleonic era Prussian or earlier Brandenburg-Prussia era Prussian?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

-tosses Yarrun down a well- get dunked on.

You're not a skeleton!

Apparently my mom's family name is from Lancashire and the rest of her family is primarily Welsh or Prussian in extraction. And my dad's family are all Ashkenazim. So I think I'm predisposed to prefer cold climates with lots of weather. The only outlier is that we definitely have some French in there, but it's probably from Normandy or Brittany or something because there are *no* sunbathing snowbirds in our clan. Except my Republican uncle, I guess, but he's just contrary. And I guess my mom, who gets the most astonishing tan, but there are parts of Wales where it's practically tropical because the jet stream's freaky like that.

I didn't know that about your mom's side of the family. That's cool. When you say Prussian, do you mean Post-Napoleonic era Prussian or earlier Brandenburg-Prussia era Prussian?
    Not sure. Probably the former, although generally speaking there's not a whole lot of ethnic difference (unless you're talking Old Prussian). Names like Mangel are involved.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    -Digs a tunnel from the well to a car lot-

This is gonna be good.
  • -tosses Yarrun down a well- get dunked on.

You're not a skeleton!

Apparently my mom's family name is from Lancashire and the rest of her family is primarily Welsh or Prussian in extraction. And my dad's family are all Ashkenazim. So I think I'm predisposed to prefer cold climates with lots of weather. The only outlier is that we definitely have some French in there, but it's probably from Normandy or Brittany or something because there are *no* sunbathing snowbirds in our clan. Except my Republican uncle, I guess, but he's just contrary. And I guess my mom, who gets the most astonishing tan, but there are parts of Wales where it's practically tropical because the jet stream's freaky like that.

Not sure. Probably the former, although generally speaking there's not a whole lot of ethnic difference (unless you're talking Old Prussian). Names like Mangel are involved.
    Gotcha. When I said Post Napoleonic Prussia, I was mostly thinking of the post Austria-Prussan war Prussia, which would include bits of Polish, Czech and Slovac in addition to Germanic stuff. It would pretty sweet if there was some Old Prussian in there though.
  • edited 2016-05-10 04:43:31
    kill living beings
    actually nah
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm messing with the A6I3 walkarounds again because I'm bored. 

Cronus is not quite as bad as I remember him being (though he's still a sexist jerk who thinks with his BONE BULGE), and GOD, KANKRI, YOU NEED TO SHUT UP.

i love Vice because it seems to be based in a sort of endlessly recursive self-parody, forever distilling itself into Peak Vice

i love Vice because it seems to be based in a sort of endlessly recursive self-parody, forever distilling itself into Peak Vice
    @Kexruct
  • kill living beings

OH, CONFOUND THOSE LORDS OF CINDER! OH, HOW I HATE THEM! I HATE YHORM! I HATE ALDRICH! AND I HATE LOTHRIC! THEY DRIVE ME TO DRINK! *chugs estus next to Andre*

edit: A flame! I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
  • When I die, I want my teammates to lower my coffin so they can let me down one last time.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I should watch the Dover Boys again

I was really hype when Choo Choo was a meme, but not quite for this

I feel guilty about that
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Don't feel guilty about things that don't even matter. Please.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    You are fine.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

• http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-pets-that-will-make-you-feel-better-about-your-sad-life/

Glad to see that Guinea Pigs are getting some love. I had eight of the fuckers at one point. And then got five more after they died.
  • And I want more of them now.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

• Odradek said:

OH, CONFOUND THOSE LORDS OF CINDER! OH, HOW I HATE THEM! I HATE YHORM! I HATE ALDRICH! AND I HATE LOTHRIC! THEY DRIVE ME TO DRINK! *chugs estus next to Andre*

edit: A flame! I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
    nice
    i
    c
    e
    fingernails
  • edited 2016-05-10 23:59:57
    My dreams exceed my real life
    God fucking dammit, Tumblr is going into paroxysms of joy over Civil War

Ten more years of Marvel Movie hype train I guess, derailed only briefly by Dr. Strange
  • edited 2016-05-11 00:03:39

im still like absolutely amazed that it came out and i have heard literally nothing about it

because like, even though i avoid that kind of thing, i usually hear something, y'know?
  • kill living beings
    i saw an ad on youtube like two days ago and i was like huh i thought that was out months ago
    Probably because you judiciously pruned those people for unrelated reasons
  • The two opinions on it I have seen are that it's the best Marvel movie since the first Avengers and that it is shot like a toy commercial.

I am not sure what to make of that, but I probably won't see it either way. Movies are lame.
    Jane said:

The two opinions on it I have seen are that it's the best Marvel movie since the first Avengers and that it is shot like a toy commercial.

I am not sure what to make of that, but I probably won't see it either way. Movies are lame.
    Neither is ringing praise
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I've heard, like... a little bit from the person I know who checks out loads of this stuff (so it was absolutely expected), a little bit from Kyle and a few other commentators I follow, and not much else? Still ultimately way less proportionally, so I am very content. I mean the first category is harmlessly happy, and the latter is rarely tedious.
    movies are still being made
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I fell off the Marvel movie train thanks to Age of Ultron and have a mixed opinion on the superhero boom anyway
  • Jane said:

@Kexruct
    WE DEM BOYS
    I used to know how to play that song

As someone who actually does kinda still like the Marvel movies enough that I wouldn't mind seeing Civil War despite not enjoying the comic storyline on which it was based, I can't help but be disappointed in the fact that we as a community can't seem to be able to bring them up in anything but a negative manner.

I get that they aren't Odie's thing at all and that he feels like he can't avoid them because of his friends, but I really would prefer if we didn't have to start every conversation about them in a way that implies that people who do like them are lesser because of that.

Like, they're just movies, y'all. No point in drawing unnecessary lines in the sand each time a new one releases.

(you may crucify me now)
    Fair
  • edited 2016-05-11 01:58:40
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Crucifies you with donuts and cinnamon rolls

More seriously, I know others are more sympathetic to the broader sorts of superhero movies I don't care for, which is why I've tried to frame my responses to the subject in that light; or, preferably, mostly quiet indifference. I think the only time I wouldn't do so is if I wanted to go into great detail, for myself, about myself, and my thoughts on this trend, and that I'd think is more removed from personal feelings and hopefully wouldn't be an issue?

To not belabor the point though, my sympathies. Can't say I haven't been there at least a little too. Honestly I feel a little similarly, despite my proclivities and the fact that many or all of us come here to let off steam and find a sort of place away from the standard hot take on whatever about media.

Edit: Due to how you started it I thought this was your personal thread at first, hah.
    Part of my annoyance was Tumblr talking a big game on Dr. Strange mere weeks ago
    Dr. Strangelove