The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I'm kind of amused that we can discuss this otherkin stuff with a straight face

Aren't you all enabling my delusions or something??
    I thought you were kidding.
    I can't even tell how serious I am anymore
    I aim for a level of seriousness somewhere between sans from Undertale and a Petey Pablo record, personally.
  • kill living beings
    Hm... let's see. This thing is supposed to output between 100 Hz and 10 kHz (it's not exactly sound oriented, i'm just making it that way because tones are easier to deal with when I don't have an oscilloscope).

My first thought was to have the top eight switches be a multiplier and the bottom eight be a divisor, but that's awkward to actually implement. so's any kind of irrational ratio (wow, dumb phrase, me) since i ain't got floating point.

the range is 6.something octaves so i can have the top three switches do a straight octave multiplication...

as far as i understand this syntonic thing, everything's just a product of octaves and perfect fifths? i guess i can pull off 3/2 ratios. this board has like three hundred multiplier circuits, surely i can do that
  • kill living beings
    the next project is an actual musical synth, hooking up the board to a computer keyboard. there's some frequencies laid out (12-TET ofc), i wonder if anyone will care if i do some weirder bullshit there
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, 3/2 is a fifth, 5/4 is a major third, 7/4 a minor seventh, and that's just harmonics. To get the inversion of an interval, just flip the ratio and multiply by two: A fourth is 4/3, etc.
  • edited 2015-10-25 22:55:40
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I soothe myself by wrapping myself in blankets and feeling the sun on my face.

Some soothe themselves by spinning, some with rocking chairs, some with chants and song.

Some count, some walk, some chew, some imagine; I see nothing wrong with self-soothing (within reason), it is natural and the methods available to neurotypicals may not work so well for those of us on the Autistic spectrum; you don't have to deny yourself something that comes naturally to neurotypicals; that's what the rights are all about.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm not any sort of -kin, but I sure know how to inhabit a fantasy persona!
  • kill living beings
    0vvvv0 said:

Yeah, 3/2 is a fifth, 5/4 is a major third, 7/4 a minor seventh, and that's just harmonics. To get the inversion of an interval, just flip the ratio and multiply by two: A fourth is 4/3, etc.

i know that, i'm talking about this harmonic system in particular. e.g. to get a third wikipedia suggests four fifths minus two octaves (so (3^4/2^4)/2^2 = 81/64.

going off of the 5-EDO mention.

i'm pretty sure i'm misunderstanding a lot of this. 31-EDO's article says it's the same as 31-TET, and uses a 2^1/31 ratio which sure isn't a perfect fifth or octave...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am Not An Abject Waste Of Flesh And Resources-kin
  • kill living beings
    ugh, i think i'm hearing quantization noise.
  • all this talking about ratios and you guys have forgotten about the true spirit of music

music is all about fiddling with the settings in a 7-band graphic equalizer for hours on end
  • kill living beings
    music is figuring out whether i'm actually hearing beats or just imagining it. i need a scope
  • kill living beings
    i can actually hear a 12.8 kHz tone. it sounds like fuck. intriguing
    rayman said:

0vvvv0 said:

i know that, i'm talking about this harmonic system in particular. e.g. to get a third wikipedia suggests four fifths minus two octaves (so (3^4/2^4)/2^2 = 81/64.

i'm pretty sure i'm misunderstanding a lot of this. 31-EDO's article says it's the same as 31-TET, and uses a 2^1/31 ratio which sure isn't a perfect fifth or octave...

Stick 2^(1/31) on top of itself 31 times and you get an octave. Eighteen of those steps is damned close to 3/2, and ten is nigh-indistinguishable from 5/4.

You can get about as close to 5/4 if you stack eight pure fourths—(4/3)^8—which is about 1/53 of an octave flatter than 81/64, which is noticeably sharp.
    rayman said:

i can actually hear a 12.8 kHz tone. it sounds like fuck. intriguing

I can hear that old television noise at 16,384 Hz. It is Hell.
  • Today nothing happened and it was still horrible.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    music is about starting with some kind of moronic riff or chord progression and then adding things until it sounds okay
  • kill living beings
    0vvvv0 said:

rayman said:

0vvvv0 said:

Stick 2^(1/31) on top of itself 31 times and you get an octave. Eighteen of those steps is damned close to 3/2, and ten is nigh-indistinguishable from 5/4.

You can get about as close to 5/4 if you stack eight pure fourths—(4/3)^8—which is about 1/53 of an octave flatter than 81/64, which is noticeably sharp.
    well, sure, but i figured syntonic meant actually just using 3/2 2/1 ratios, like ol pythagory
    Tucker said:

Today nothing happened and it was still horrible.

It happens.

music is about starting with some kind of moronic riff or chord progression and then adding things until it sounds okay

What about starting with a sick riff and just riding it into the outer darkness with the power of rock?
    (Also known as: How Skullflower tracks are made, boys and girls and others.)
    I have one Skullflower album.

I don't think there are any riffs on it, just waves of incoherent noise. It's pretty cool
  • kill living beings
    i guess i'll just go into the lab to grab a scope tomorrow. SUCKS

i'm running this shit with a window frequency of... fast... uh... 390 kHz. can't hear that shit, no way no how, what did i fuck uuuuup

i guess i'll just hook up a keyboard and work it out later. maybe i fucked up my wavetable who fucking knows

I have one Skullflower album.

I don't think there are any riffs on it, just waves of incoherent noise. It's pretty cool

Check out Xaman. It's basically just a series of awesomely heavy bass riffs with crazy guitar sounds and huge drums on top, with the occasional incomprehensible screamed vocal.
    I will add it to my list, thanx
    You will want to either seek out the reissue, which was originally part of the Kino box and is, if I am not mistaken, delightfully pimped out, or just nab a rip of the original CD online, because getting a physical copy of the original CD version that is actually playable is probably impossible.
    It is probably the most notorious example of disc rot literally wiping an entire album edition out of existence.
  • kill living beings
    disc... rot?
  • music is about starting with some kind of moronic riff or chord progression and then adding things until it sounds okay

music is about starting with an idea for a melody and then developing it
  • kill living beings
    hm

disc rot sucks
    disc rot? but I thought CDs were invincible
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    they lied to us
    Sorry you had a bad day, Kex.  Hope things pick up.

Spend some time doing things you like, maybe?
  • I'm going to work in a little bit. Doing stuff I like won't help.
    Ah.

i'm sorry.
  • Klino when you're done with your synthesizer pls send it to me thanks
  • kill living beings
    hehe i would but it's you know hardware. having to go through pulseaudio or windows... something, it makes everything way harder

i'd send you the thing anyway but i need it for class and also it's like two hundred dollars new... though i do have an older model, hmmmmmmmmm
  • I was joking, it's fine.

I probably wouldn't be able to use the thing anyway.
  • kill living beings
    it's fun to think of features though. for now i'll do 12-TET and bending. probably not enough interface to draw waves, but i can have it select from a few... maybe i can figure out harmonics too
    rayman said:

0vvvv0 said:

rayman said:

0vvvv0 said:

well, sure, but i figured syntonic meant actually just using 3/2 2/1 ratios, like ol pythagory

That's what I meant when I brought up the fact that eight fourths makes a near-perfect major third. That's a classic trick of Pythagorean tuning. Meantone operates on the principle of simplifying the process by reconciling 5/4 with 81/64 or 5/3 with 27/16 or whatever. 5-, 7-, and 12-EDO are reductio ad absurdum of those qualities.
    But yeah, I love tuning and we should talk more about this tomorrow when I have had some sleep.

Goodnight, folks.
  • Zombie Discs!
  • kill living beings
    i see. t hanks, night.
    return of the living dead discs?
    tired

i feel like i'm about to lose 2 days

i say that like i ever do anything worthwhile with my time
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    heh, they've started advertising dash cams on "as seen on TV" spots here

i wonder if this cheap one comes with "блять" or "сука" buttons XD
    Embedded image permalink
    that guy was an asshole.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
  • edited 2015-10-26 02:31:47
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    rayman said:

alright bitches i got half a synthesizer. someone give me ideas for how to turn sixteen switch inputs into a musical scale. like, this combination of switches is A on middle C, this other one is some bass bullshit, etc.

Oh, that's easy. Just use the 16 switches as a 16-digit binary number.

0000000000000000 = some really low bass
    0000000000000001 = that bass Sharp
    hell, just keep that first digit as the halftone (sharp), since like, Csharp = Dflat, if i recall correctly.

and then output the result to some speaker that just goes BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ endlessly in whatever tone you picked

EDIT: people who actually know and/or remember music answered already. i didn't realize this was 3 pages ago. i have been endlessly owned.