The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Kexruct said:

It's going for form instead of function, pure and simple.

Yeah, this is basically what I was trying to get at but phrased in a much more concise manner. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i really hate when you talk about writing stuff like it's pure and simple and reducible to catchphrases like 'form vs function'

this is a difficult thing that makes me incredibly anxious, you can't flatten it out like that, it's not simple, it's complicated and difficult
    I feel like form vs function works well here, actually? A trite hero's journey story is more likely a story that was written to fit to the form of a hero's journey. A well-written one is one that's aware of the hero's journey, but is using it to generate the overall function or goal of the work. The hero's journey is more a tool than it is an end goal in and of itself. 
    but form is very important; where is the function in a text?  it's nowhere to be found, unless you treat certain aspects of the form as indicative of function

but that's also a simplification of course

i'm sorry, i'm kind of not sure how much sense i'm making or if i'm talking nonsense, so maybe i shouldn't have spoken, but i find this subject very unsettling at the moment
    actually you know what forget it, i don't know what i'm saying

sorry for snapping like that
    I didn't take it as snapping, no worries. It's an interesting conversation to have, actually. 

Form is definitely important - however, I think there's a line between writing to *fit* a form you're familiar with (i.e., writing with the intent to specifically create a hero's journey) and writing in a way that happens to fit a form (writing a story that can borrow from and use the hero's journey as a sort of inspiration and guide if it wants to). 

I guess my point can be summed up as: bad = writing with the express intent to adhere to a given plot guideline like the hero's journey. good = writing with the story itself as a goal in mind and using things like the hero's journey to tell it. 

Honestly I'm not totally sure I'm making all that much sense either. I'm low on sleep and other important things like that ^^;
    Also, if you're really bugged by it, I'm fine with just dropping it too
    no, it's an interesting subject and i didn't mean to dump cold water on it

i think you're probably right - what you're describing seems similar to how you'd use a poetic form like the sonnet to convey an idea, you can't just churn out sonnets for the sake of having sonnets, they'd sound insincere

there's no reason the same rule shouldn't apply to prose writing or screenplay
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm trying to get at. A form should be used to convey an idea - to create a function. The end goal shouldn't be the form itself. 

• The Hero's Journey in the hands of a bad writer feels like all it has are those bones.  And they're too obvious because there's no flesh there.  Nothing BUT that basic structure.
  • Frankly I resent all discussions of what any kind of art should or should not be.

Which is why I tend not to involve myself in them.
  • I think it also contributes to modern media criticism's obsession with spinning narratives as opposed to simply talking about the piece in question.
  • Modern media criticism is basically critics talking about how smart they are, with the work being at most the canvas upon which they paint their criticisms.

But I think that following the steps of a generic story outline in a rote fashion is not good.
  • Morven said:

Modern media criticism is basically critics talking about how smart they are, with the work being at most the canvas upon which they paint their criticisms.

Hardly. But there is definitely a fixation on pushing a wider story instead of reviewing or otherwise commentating upon the work in question.

That's not even always a bad thing, but it's extremely pervasive.
  • So for whatever reason, all of my FL Studio projects have become unopenable.

I can make new ones, but not load old ones.

Sigh.
  • Well, it depends what kind of criticism you're talking about: academic or popular.  But I think in both cases, it tends to be less about the work than about the thesis, the wider story you're talking about.
  • My experience is mostly with popular criticism. 

Take, for example, this. For the record, I just thumbed over to RockPaperShotgun to see if I could find a good example, and lo and behold.

Let's take the entire first main paragraph:

I’m several years too late to the party here (it is too late to visit
    Dwarf Fortress?) but increasingly I’m drawn towards games that decline
    to tell me much about how they work. So much more pleasure comes from
    discovery – oh, so that’s what that thing’s for – than simply
    following an objective and getting an action or cutscene pay-off.
    There’s this cold war right now between proponents of formalist games
    and leftfield games (for lack of a better term), but I think this is a
    conflict of equal import: games that must be learned versus games that
    will reward you regardless.

This paragraph tells us about several things:

•  a couple details about the writer's life, they've never played Dwarf Fortress for instance
    • their specific reasons for liking roguelikes, which the game in question sort of is, but that's not said here
    • an imagined and completely arbitrary conflict set up in the last paragraph that cleanly divides video games into two mutually exclusive and ill-defined category
    note that at this point you have no idea what the game itself is about.

This whole school of criticism isn't always bad, but this is an example of it done poorly. What does what you think of cutscene-heavy games have to do with 868hack, which isn't one?

Furthermore there's the talk-down language which implies that anyone who likes games with a "objective and getting an action or cutscene pay-off" structure are not so bright.

It's just bizarre and totally tangential to the actual game itself, which is not reviewed until the following paragraph. It's annoying.

• also an entire paragraph is devoted to a random jab at Cardinal Quest

There’s a parallel dimension wherein 868-HACK stars a smiling cartoon
    elf firing arrows at cheeky goblins in silly hats, it’s called
    something like MAGIC DUNGEON ESCAPE QUEST, and it was a huge hit. What
    is in here has, once you’ve cracked its faintly hostile shell, is as
    fearsomely absorbing as the most wildly successful roguelites or even
    match-3 games. I’m glad I’m not in that alternate dimension though. I
    like 868-HACK just as strange and creepy as it is.

• For the record, I've played 868hack, it's not nearly as menacing as this person is making it sound.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I just want people to play with the form more. I want everyone to play with the form more.

Tell a goddamn meandering story where the characters move from thing to thing to thing because that's the story you want to tell. Tell a story where all the "heroes" die grand or ignoble deaths or are written out of relevance and some shmuck takes their place and are generally unsatisfying. Do things.
  • I try to make all my stories tales of people meandering about and doing things.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Nobody likes my Star Butterfly avatar
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://dailynous.com/2015/01/19/germanys-heidegger-society-chair-resigns/

This move has a lot of integrity and I respect it, but I'm surprised anyone was surprised Heidegger was a racist.

I mean 
    "Let not propositions and 'ideas' be the rules of your being (Sein). The Führer alone is the present and future German reality and its law. Learn to know ever more deeply: that from now on every single thing demands decision, and every action responsibility. Heil Hitler!"

Is not very ambiguous
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

I love this series so much

I feel like Aliroz might enjoy this oddly enough
    Will watch sometime.
  • The biggest deviation from the Hero's Journey I've seen had the original heroine get her memory wiped, forcing her plucky sidekick to take her place and work with a prophecy that's only half right. 

A bit overly on-the-nose about how different it is from the typical plot, but it does have the sidekick cutting through a week and a half worth of prophecy nonsense to get to the part where the questing results in something important, which was so excellent.
  • Clucky sidekick
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Thanks Kotaku
  • The biggest deviation from the Hero's Journey I've seen had the original heroine get her memory wiped, forcing her plucky sidekick to take her place and work with a prophecy that's only half right. 

A bit overly on-the-nose about how different it is from the typical plot, but it does have the sidekick cutting through a week and a half worth of prophecy nonsense to get to the part where the questing results in something important, which was so excellent.
    giraffes
  • seriously those fucking giraffes

i dont get scared of shit

but those fucking giraffes
  • those giraffes fucked me up man
  • 1. games journalism sucks

2. the hero's journey is a tool, not a rule. use it but don't feel you have to be bound by it. equally so, don't feel you're bound to deviate from it. as with everything in writing, you've just got to go with whatever suits the story, which will almost certainly be neither strict adherence nor a radical departure
  • edited 2015-01-19 17:27:42

i didnt mean to dunk on the hero's journey i meant to dunk on the people who are like "wow star wars has the heros journey that shit is so cash what a great movie"

sorry for the confusion
  • edited 2015-01-19 17:32:22

the issue with star wars is that yeah it's well paced and it has nice cinematography but it's all in service of a story i dont care about in a world im not interested in
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    That's fair enough, actually.

I am annoyed at the people who see Star Wars as an unbeatable value in and of itself nowadays. They completely miss that Star Wars was mostly regarded as a building block towards better (and to be fair, worse) things within a then-moribund industry.
  • Also it bugs me because I think, with a few small tweaks to characterization it could have been a much, much better movie.

Like, imagine if Luke was a bit more angry and impetuous. Not to the degree of Anakin, but closer the more grrrrr end of the "moody young man" scale. Like he's basically an ok guy at heart but he gets mad easily and doesn't think things through. Then move the aspects of his Force training regarding getting a hold of himself come more to the fore. Imagine like he starts doing like vaguely sith-y things when he gets angry like the dark lightening thing (imagine him almost doing the lightening thing when he's at Jabba's palace and then catching hold of himself), so then when Palpatine and Vader make their offers to the dark side there is an inkling (just an inkling mind) of "will he do it? will he end up making the mistakes his father made?" and his resounding rejection of them becomes a very strong completion of his character arc and a metaphor for his finally becoming an adult person who is in control of his emotions and impulses.

also a more fiery Vader would have been nice, a Vader that Palpatine needs to keep a short leash on, as a sort of concrete example of how rage fuels the dark side and how Luke needs to avoid that.

Granted, there is definitely some of this in the films, but I don't think Lucas did it very effectively and I really think a stronger focus on that area would have made the series much more compelling to me personally.
  • kill living beings
    weirded out that anakin is jesus
    I can actually agree with that.

I do think that A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are pretty much perfectly paced and written, but Return of the Jedi is pretty scattershot in its pacing and plotting. The consequences of that are what you've mentioned.

It doesn't quite ruin the trilogy for me since Return was so perfectly set up by the first two films that it was impossible to truly screw it up, but I can understand why it would for you.
    (2015 self)
    I cannot view the original trilogy with any degree of objectivity, especially Return of the Jedi. IT was one of the first movies I ever saw, it was the first movie I ever had on video, and I watched it so much..

Any of my old old videos from when I was four are things that I cannot have an unbiased opinion of.

I mean, the whole Jabba's Palace sequence. The robots, the aliens, so much to look at and listen to. The different sounds of all the strange things, was quite enthralling for toddler Rozzy. And Jabba himself is jaw-dropping. For tiny me, nearly-naked Leia was the least interesting part of that sequence, because meh, I see people every day, but an orange three-eyed guy who says, "glooba glooba"? Brilliant.

I should hate the e-woks, but I was four years old once and I loved them then.
    I like the Jabba's palace sequence.

Return still does have a lot of great stuff, despite its scattershot nature.

(2015 self)

Into 

Nobody likes my Star Butterfly avatar

I like it

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can watch Star Wars (the original trilogy) for its technical aspects - cinematography, visual effects, sound effects - and the music.

The story is just ok.

Also, oddly enough, I think that reading Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces is actually a lot more interesting than watching any of the 29,000 films that tried to use that scheme.
  • kill living beings
    campbell's book has raven living in whales and shit, it's obviously superior
  • I think I prefer "AU" regardless of gender, not this "Missy" stuff (despite my current Twitter handle including "Missy")
    i hope this isn't insulting, but 'AU' always made me think 'alternate universe' rather than gold

(and 'CA' makes me think of California)