The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• kill living beings
    my name is ozymandias, king of kings; look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the YA section stretches far away
  • edited 2015-01-18 06:24:17

the bible is still good reads, as is the Iliad

the odyssey is kinda boring tho imo

more recently, Gargantua and Pantagruel and Hypnerotomachia Poliphili are also still fun
  • Basically what I'm getting at is that things do age, but some things age with much more grace than other things.
  • for example we can all agree that even 3,000 years later, Sobekhotep is a kickass name.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Actually, that's why I always roll my eyes whenever people describe the three-act structure to be some kind of universal truth that people are just genetically coded to "get."

Like I know Campbell was very important to art but maybe you could look at some other fucking things?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    naney said:

the bible is still good reads, as is the Iliad

the odyssey is kinda boring tho imo

more recently, Gargantua and Pantagruel and Hypnerotomachia Poliphili are also still fun

I was thinking of Journey To The West and Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Water Margin and the Mahabharata. I mean, they're all "good reads", but their forms and structures are just so totally alien to the average reader.
  • kill living beings
    i do not think campbell endorsed the three act structure
  • I don't even innately know what an "act" is honestly
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Regarding the Punky Brewster cartoon: It seems DiC-ish because I think Shuki Levy and Haim Saban did the theme and BGM (they were still working for DiC at the time, too).

Also, dat effects animation on the Kissyfur open.
  • edited 2015-01-18 06:35:14
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Campbell said a lot of things. Campbell likely never wanted to influence all of literary development. Maybe he did, but I think if he did, he wouldn't have wanted his book on comparative mythology to be that influence.

An act is a component of a story structure model. It's theatrical in origin. 

In the three-act structure, you start by setting the scene and cause the problem to appear. Then you have the problem build in tension and heighten excitement. And then you release the tension with the climax, and then there's the epilogue.
  • reading the wikipedia page on lost works

• Several pages of the original screenplay for Werner Herzog's Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes were reportedly thrown out of the window of a bus after one of his football team-mates threw up on them.
  • Tachyon said:

Anyway, i certainly wouldn't call Wacky Races forgettable; i could be wrong but i think Dick Dastardly and Muttley are more widely recognized characters than Huck or Quick Draw, even.

I wouldn't either. Honestly, Wacky Races was always my favorite H-B show when I as growing up.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't recall seeing anything of three act structure in Campbell

in any case, I actually tend to like it when things "don't age well" or seem "dated". Because then they conjure up a sense of a distant past, which is very timey, and that's great.
  • edited 2015-01-18 09:11:17
    I actually like watching his show because I like that kind of food, but he can be pretty annoying at times.

(edited because I let this sit too long) guy fieri, that is.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i daresay the food is good.

i just don't feel that excuses his worming his way onto the Supreme Court and using his position to destroy the constitution and enact genocidal policies.
  • get all up in your kitchen

Money's Guy Fieri
  • My dad keeps forgetting that I'm lactose intolerant.

*I* keep forgetting that I'm lactose intolerant.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've gotten this lucid dreaming thing down to the point where I can recognize I'm dreaming and then choose to wake up only once I've finished what I've wanted to accomplish

Less good at telling when it's 6 am on Sunday and I'd be better off staying asleep
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Please stay with me :<
    You know what?

Sheriff Huckleberry is a lovely cartoon, and it amused me.
  • The gag where Dinky Dalton turned Huck into a car
    That was my favourite moment.

The gag with the phone line and the gag with the bullet at the end were also fun.
    but i do and i don't wanna care anymore
    if i close my eyes would it spare me the sight
    of decay, corruption, how we nurture destruction
    and everything that will doom us all?
    nothing can be equally well expressed in prose that is not tedious and supererogatory in verse
    Do we have enough people here to put together an HH recommended albums list?  i know there are a lot of people here who are into music.

i feel like it might go against the spirit of the site, though i'm not sure if that's a thing or if it matters.  But i'm curious as to what sort of list we'd end up with.
  • We probably do but I don't know if we'd have the interest is the thing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

Do we have enough people here to put together an HH recommended albums list?  i know there are a lot of people here who are into music.

i feel like it might go against the spirit of the site, though i'm not sure if that's a thing or if it matters.  But i'm curious as to what sort of list we'd end up with.

I feel it'd be interesting if a bunch of Heapers put together their favorite albums.
  • i think we have enough people who are knowledgeable about music to put one together, but the heap's tastes are very disparate. i think that's a good thing, but it would probably make for a weird, disjointed list
  • it would be interesting tho
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    If HH was a person they would be very schizophrenic.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    v
    a
    n

h
    o
    u
    t
    e
    n

c
    o
    c
    o
    a
  • edited 2015-01-18 15:59:37
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'd love to help put together a Recommended Albums list.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Things that make Centie smugly smile: two local towing companies were forced into a class-action settlement because, for years, they charged people more for towing than is allowed under Ohio law
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Towtal Eclipse of the Heart.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

I'd love to help put together a Recommended Albums list.

Except I shouldn't, because, my taste are weird.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    As someone who really wants to get into music more (blah blah, I have my reasons), I think the idea of Favorite/Recommended Albums, maybe like a top 10 of every different genre that each person cares to name or something, is pretty cool. It would obviously be pretty extensive, but it's not like the idea wasn't already, as I see it.
  • edited 2015-01-18 16:50:54
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ How weird, exactly?

If we did this, it's only fair that any heaper who's interested be allowed to participate.  Anything else would be dishonest.

i should like to give this a go, if enough people are interested.
    Tachyon's Adventures II (SNES, 1993)
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    My taste are broad when it comes to genre, but somewhat specific
    Thought: Adventure Time is a spiritual successor to Little Nemo in Dreamland
    v a n   h o u t e n   c o c o a
    Cream said:

Is this Dutch Actress Carice Van Houten, or cartoon character Milhouse Van Houten?
    Does the next poster want to build a snowman?
  • edited 2015-01-18 17:25:02
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Panurge said:

Cream said:

Is this Dutch Actress Carice Van Houten, or cartoon character Milhouse Van Houten?
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/cookie%E2%98%86

Does the next poster want to build a snowman?

fug yes

This avatar makes me feel more aggressive than usual.

Or could it be that you feel more aggressive than usual so you chose an avatar that feels more aggressive?