The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• why do you hate star wars so much

i mean at least with my (exaggerated) scooby-doo resentment there's the feeling that scooby is stealing the sun from other hanna-barbera stuff

but like what's with you and star wars
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    star wars has cool sound effects
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Die hard Star Wars fans are generally just unfortunate spergs, not downright idiots.

There is a difference.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I recall enjoying Star Wars when I was a child but I haven't re-watched it.
  • It's just...

not good.

One might even say that it is bad.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I have a theory that almost every JRPG is actually Star Wars.
  • THE HEROES JOURNEY

(*flops about like a diseased fish*)
  • what's so bad about it? i enjoyed the original trilogy greatly
  • and yeah I know I think Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! (that one in specific) is kind of bad but I'm not sure how many people enjoy that anymore
  • The script is eh and it's conceptually boring.
    naney said:

THE HEROES JOURNEY

This is ignoring that Lucas was the first person to really use the plot that way.

He can't really be blamed for his weaksauce imitators, even if in an insidious process, he's sorta become one himself.
  • There's a certain charm to it, even despite Mark Hamill being a bad actor there's an underdog spirit permeating all of it

even as the special effects got more slick
  • don't sit under the apple tree

with anyone else but me

(no no no)
  • naney said:

THE HEROES JOURNEY

This is ignoring that Lucas was the first person to really use the plot that way.
    I don't really care if he was the first because it's still deathly boring

like, i can't imagine actively wanting to see it more than once
  • naney said:

naney said:

THE HEROES JOURNEY

I don't really care if he was the first because it's still deathly boring

like, i can't imagine actively wanting to see it more than once
    is there anything you don't find boring

like you say everything is boring
  • edited 2015-01-19 01:02:09

Lots of things aren't boring!

A bunch of not boring movies: Dredd, Aguirre, Dead Man, The Princess Bride, High & Low, Tokyo Story, Amelie, Die Hard, Love Actually, The Third Man
  • That is by no means an exhaustive list!
  • I'm sorry, I'm just cranky.

It's late and I don't feel well.
  • hey I've felt bitchy too
  • kill living beings
    the microbiology of choking people with your mind is underexplored
  • kill living beings
    jesus, anakin was supposed to have 20k midichlorians per cell? liver cells have like 2000 mitochondria, what the fuck was wrong with the kid

also wiki tells me there were "maxichlorians", so i would like to point out that lol
  • I'd love to help put together a Recommended Albums list.

Really late to the punch, but same here. I think it would be prety fun, personally.

I'd love to help put together a Recommended Albums list.

Really late to the punch, but same here. I think it would be prety fun, personally.
    I'm curious if Sredni would like to contribute. Would Naney mind asking him for us?
  • I could do that
    schizophrenie
  • whatever you do, don't ask Tre

his taste is shit
  • kill living beings
    all current 93 all the time
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Aliroz said:

I FLIPPING LOVE UTAH.

DISREGARD YOU INTERNET, MY HOME IS GREAT AND YOU CAN JUST SLIP ON MY FUNERAL POTATOES AND FRY SAUCE AS I DRIVE MY MINIVAN TEN BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT IN THE PASSING LANE TO FOURTH NORTH AND FIFTH WEST WHILE COUSIN 34 AND I TALK ABOUT HOW SPRITE IS FLIPPING THE BEST AND HOW LAUREL LOOKS SO WHOLESOME AS SHE SINGS POPCORN POPPING IN HER MODEST BLUE DRESS.
    Popcorn popping! My mom still sings that when spring comes around.
  • my rap name is Yung Republican and my debut single features an extended metaphor comparing myself to Guy Fieri
  • my rap name is Young Broadcasting and I spend three quarters of a billion dollars on television stations I can't afford and then file for Chapter 11
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Young is the very model of a modern Media General
  • no

no

I laughed.

You're still my best friend
  • Why must my bathroom be so bloody cold?
  • Because I am on the top floor and the extractor fan leads outside meaning cold air can get in and turn it into a freezer.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    honestly, the funniest thing to me is the "balance to the force" bit.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Fucking New Agers wouldn't know balance if it hit them in their stupid fucking faces.
  • dreamcatcher & crystal steez
  • new agers get a lot of flak (justifiably) but in my experience they almost universally make really, really good food
  • It's just...

not good.

One might even say that it is bad.
    How so?

Before I go into stupid defensive mode, I'll at least justify myself:

Sure, the hero's journey is trite now, but it's trite because of Star Wars popularizing it. And the reason why it has staying power is because Star Wars did a really good job at using it, in that it didn't bother arbitrarily wrapping its plot around going through all the familiar steps and instead demonstrated, y'know, the actual point of Campbell's idea, that being that mythological stories tend to inevitably hit similar beats. And that's aside from the fact that the original is the best paced anything that I've ever seen.

I'm genuinely curious why you dislike so many things of this ilk; I don't think I've seen you express anything better than mildly positive opinions on most conventional media.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i got The Writer's Journey for Christmas, am i to take from this that it's junk and i shouldn't read it?
    to me the overall idea of the hero's journey seems general enough that i don't see how it could be trite

write to avoid the hero's journey altogether and what you're left with isn't recognizably a story

some people can pull that off e.g. Borges but i wouldn't dismiss everything that had the hero's journey structure, that'd be very limiting
    i'm alone here aren't i

and freaking out for some reason on a deserted forum
    THE FUCKING DRILLING

every weekday from before 9 until some time around half 3 in the afternoon, continuous drilling next door

WHY haven't they finished yet
    yeah i'm definitely alone

time to go do something else
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    The hero's journey itself is not trite, in my opinion, however, it *can* serve as a crutch for people struggling with character development or even just general plot, which does lead to trite writing. 

There are many, many novels which I would classify as high literature or art which utilize the hero's journey, and utilize it with a great deal of finesse. 

There are, however, even more novels by writers who are just starting out or who just aren't very good who write a hero's journey without bringing very much to the table outside of it. This makes the plot feel rather contrived. This is especially true, in my opinion, of YA authors - they know they can generally get away with it simply because many children and young adults haven't been exposed to the same quantity or quality of writing, so it'll be easier for them to stomach it. 
  • It's going for form instead of function, pure and simple.