The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Is there a way to disable CLEditor only for certain browsers? Because it doesn't play nice with Chrome for Android. :/
  • Lee: Okay, I'll try those things.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also, hello. I was gonna quote something from a few posts back, but the editor is giving me pain so I'll just say: I've only ever known one person who had an ISDN at home. This was 2005 or so, and he had it only because nobody at the time was offering proper broadband in Very Rural Ohio.
  • edited 2012-08-04 14:59:26
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    CA: No idea. As for ISDN, we had it at the office when I first started working there in 1998, but now? About the only people I know of that use it are radio people for remote broadcasts. I guess the codec they use requires ISDN. 

Also, I notice while reading PC Mag's Best of 1997 issue that practically everyone there wanted Apple to fail and Microsoft to be left alone. Did people like Windows 95 that damned much, were they being pessimistic, or were they being paid off to badmouth the competition? I don't think we'll ever know, but this was also before Apple came out with the iMac.

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    People were fucking stupid about everything back around 1995-99.  Take every annoying stereotype you know: the stuck-up apple user, the annoyingly stupid Windows user, the extra-annoying Linux advocated, and the fingernails-on-chalkboard-level-of-annoying Amiga advocates and put them all on an internet and ready to tell the world how much everyone else's computer sucks. It's amazing how broadband managed to quietly show up and take over around that time, to be honest. 
  • I wonder if the Amiga name has lapsed into the public domain yet.
  • edited 2012-08-04 15:33:54
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Forsythe: Oh, and don't forget the OS/2 fans that were convinced that Warp was going to win someday, even as IBM dropped support for it after Warp 4.0 bombed. 

Also, I have to admit the whole "Welp, I guess Apple is done for, may as well let 'em rest in peace" thing is a lot less annoying than the constant "OS/2 is the future and you damn well better be ready for it" thing people like Zachmann were doing back in 1991-1992, round the time OS/2 2.0 came out.
    I have $25 credit to the Google Play store but they don't have any books by Roald Dahl.

So not fair
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Wow, there are a surprising amount of ads for LCD monitors as I work my way through 1998. I guess this was around the time when they were finally coming down in price.
    lee4hmz said:

Wow, there are a surprising amount of ads for LCD monitors as I work my way through 1998. I guess this was around the time when they were finally coming down in price.

They didn't really start to become affordable until around 2001-2002. It was around that time that I purchased my first LCD monitor, from wal-mart. Thing was $350 and I'm sure the contrast ratio was something impressive like 150:1.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Michael Phelps retires after winning 18 gold medals.
    hell I would too
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Okay, time for me to go pass out, finally. Later!
  • lee4hmz said:

Rock climbing, Joel, rock climbing. ._.
    "Practice mooooooode!"
  • I think I might be a raiiiiiinbooooooow.
  • banananananannanaanana
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    *upgrades the next poster from ICS to Jelly Bean*
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Yum! My phone's internet is now candy!

...please don't let there be any vomit-flavored ones
  • -eats gator's internet-
    Speaking of Ice Cream Sandwiches, I just remembered Mother bought some the other day and I haven't eaten any yet. Must remedy this
  • Speaking of Ice Cream Sandwiches
    We were clearly speaking about jellybeans
    Does anyone else remember this?

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I might have mentioned this before, but looking at Imi's old TVT avatars reminds me that I liked that one with the space whale. I have no clue where it's from, though.
  • edited 2012-08-04 19:23:01

I've been practicing for the math portion of the SAT.

...My mother insists I get 94th percentile on it due to my low GPA.

Whyyy can't i ever make this woman happyyyyyy. ;_;

In other news, finished the main storyline in Pokemon Black.
    I never took the SAT

Sometimes this makes me feel like a loser
  • There's something I don't like about IJBM II and I can't quite put my finger on it.
  • edited 2012-08-04 19:28:46
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    FM: Wow, that sounds like a pretty tall order. Sorry to hear that.

I took both the ACT and the SAT. I'm a little happier with my ACT result than my SAT results, though that's partly because the ACT has a science section.
  • edited 2012-08-04 19:30:41

It's not that tall of an order (*I have to get three or less questions wrong IIRC, without studying at all I only got 5 wrong*), but there's like no room for error. ._.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Having taken it and gotten 99th percentile, I can say it sounds a lot more daunting than it is.
  • edited 2012-08-04 19:36:49

Also, Ghestis's strongest Pokemon is at like level 54 or so (*Beating him was fun, Stealth rock + Toxic + Serpeior & Archeops w/ Dragon Tail*), then in the post-main-story-areas there's like a 10 level jump up to like 65 or so.

Why?
  • I've been practicing for the math portion of the SAT.

...My mother insists I get 94th percentile on it due to my low GPA.
    Meh the SATs aren't a huge deal in the end. As long as you do decent it will be fine. I was able to improve my math each of the 3 years I took it. Really, doing all the study guides for the Sats aren't worth it IMO
    I guess I'm one to talk there, since my score was in the high 700s. I forget exactly what percentile it was.
  • I think I only broke 600s in one of the language tests. Meh, I still got into a good school.
    I went to upload something on TinyPic and their little sponsored-image-captcha thing was a Chevron logo with the instructions "describe this brand with any word(s)."

I put "evil" ('twas my first thought; they're an oil company after all) and it accepted this, which amused me.
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    And to the pleasure of absolutely nobody, I am back and posting.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    File:Inmendhampiechart.JPG

Thank you, ED

DVR playback has fast-forward at 2x, 3x, or 4x but On-Demand playback only goes up to 2x.

Why, Insight?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Antinatalism.jpg
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Yay, Odradrek!  State your opinions and show us stuff you find!  Fear not the disapproval of others.

Become what I never could.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    call me desdinova, eternal light
    these gravely digs of mine, will surely prove a sight
    and don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent

DVR playback has fast-forward at 2x, 3x, or 4x but On-Demand playback only goes up to 2x.

Why, Insight?
    I'm guessing it would have to do with on-demand playback is streaming while for DVR playback whatever you're watching is already on your DVR in its entirety
  • So I started watching Dr. Who season 5 (yay, it's Eleven!) but we only got to start the episode because my Internet went down

And now I'm waiting since my brother's watching my dad play some huntin' game he got a few days ago. YNTKT, wheee.