The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Chambraigne is not for everyone. It is only for those who purchase and choose to use the product.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I googled "Chambraigne", which immediately led me to pull up the episode
  • SO

i am downloading Photoshop on my netbook as an EXPERIMENT

and I don't feel bad about it because Adobe's not getting a cent of my money, now or ever
    Did they do something that you don't like?
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-08-05 04:56:57
    Their pricing schemes are ridiculous.

Honestly, I'd only buy an Adobe product if I absolutely had to (like for school or work or something); otherwise, yeah, not happening.

Also, Flash's existence is both a blessing and a curse, so there's that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Without Flash we wouldn't have Homestar Runner, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, or My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. So I think the good outweighs the bad, there.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-08-05 05:01:32
    ^ And Homestuck. So yeah, I guess so.

Admittedly, though, I think lower of Activision and Oracle. And Zynga. Screw those guys, only good part of that company's OMGPOP and they weren't even Zynga till last February.

EA's done some things that have made me think of not liking them but then they do awesome stuff so I can't ever stay mad at them. (Plus they're gonna take Zynga to court. Whee, they's gonna lose some moooooooooooooneey!)
    Well Macromedia brought Flash into existence, so it's not entirely Adobe's fault...

...would any of the dumb Canadian Flash shows on Cartoon Network be part of the "bad"? (The only one I've seen any of recently is Almost Naked Animals, which made me wonder how anyone could follow it.)
  • Johnny Test: 

• dumb
    • Canadian
    • bad
    I suppose that makes a yes.
    It seems like the "bad" uses of Flash are on the way out, thankfully. Remember when people used to do entire sites in Flash just so they could use some fancy animated effects and shit? Thankfully I haven't seen that in a long time.

It's always weird to me that people complain about the use of Adobe Flash for streaming video. It's bloated and slow, yes, but it's kilometers less painful than the days of MUST INSTALL REALPLAYER CODEC - QUICKTIME PLUGIN NOT FOUND.
  • Aw, gosh, frak RealPlayer.

Seriously, just... nuke it from existence and save Rhapsody from the fallout.
    I used to like it for its Flash downloader.
  • edited 2012-08-05 05:21:13
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, I thought of something about Adobe that does piss me off: their refusal to release a Linux version of the latest Adobe Reader.

Don't get me wrong; 99% of the time I'm content with Evince (Ubuntu's default PDF reader). But certain documents (like the "hotlinks" edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) have annotations 'n things that can only be viewed in Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader, both of which seem to have stopped their Linux development like two years ago.

I mean, yeah, I can just use the old version of Adobe Reader, but the Linux disrespect is irritating.
  • Rhapsody's independent, apparently.

In that case, Real can just be nuked entirely. Everyone can just use VLC and the world will be a happier place.
    Also Adobe's not supporting Flash Player on Android Jellybean.

Actually, I'm not too broken up about that. The main things I use Flash Player for are YouTube and TGWTG videos, both of which seem to work fine on the Nexus 7 without it.
  • I have to say that the ambiguously-aligned transformer Toaster has possibly the worst alt mode ever.
    ...for some reason the fact that you're into Transformers catches me off-guard.

I feel weird having limited knowledge of it, myself.
  • My fascination with it comes and goes.

I don't interact with the fandom much. Mostly because they're crazy.

Also, Signal Lancer seems like he'd be Central Avenue's favorite transformer.

My first thought was that a traffic light would be too small to make an impressive robot, but if we assume that signal lens is 12" in diameter (as most are), that would make Signal Lancer himself about 8' tall. Neat!
  • Shame he never got a toy. The quirky ones that transform into random objects rarely do.
  • edited 2012-08-05 06:33:25
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm trying to find the source of the quote "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" so I can use it as a forum signature, but everything that Google turns up seems to attribute it to Roald Dahl. I thought most of Wonka's little quotes were taken from other sources...
  • It annoys me when theme naming is broken.

The first thirteen transformers all have "Prime" at the end of their names, except for three, totally arbitrarily. I can get Prima not having it there cuz that's rather redundant and he was also *the first* transformer. Liege Maximo I can also get cuz he's pure evil. But why is Alpha Trion not Alpha Prime? Or Alpha Trion Prime? Or Trion Prime? Or something?

• edited 2012-08-05 06:56:48
    Anonus went to bed, but I'm still here, thanks to the magic of Android!

I'm not even tired , really.
  • edited 2012-08-05 09:48:18
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Tre said:

Their pricing schemes are ridiculous.

Honestly, I'd only buy an Adobe product if I absolutely had to (like for school or work or something); otherwise, yeah, not happening.

Also, Flash's existence is both a blessing and a curse, so there's that.
    I agree with this

there's absolutely no good reason why a program thats primary use is raster editing should cost so damn much
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    About the only reason you'd ever need Photoshop is for CMYK editing, but that can be gotten around with ImageMagick and the right ICC profiles. XD
    Dammit...I had a dream about a mashup of two cheesy 2000s songs. One was Jason Mraz's "The Remedy (I Won't Worry)", but I can't for the life of me remember what the other one was. :/
    The most useful aspect of GIMP, in my opinion, is as a rock solid example why programmers should never, ever be allowed to design things
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Oh hai heapers
  • Lumine said:

The entire TV Tropes article for The Crying of Lot 49 is 202 words long. The only other one of Pynchon is for Gravity's Rainbow, and that article is not much longer. This is sad. But that is what I get for peeking at the wiki again. :p

So....add to it?
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    I had meant to make a page for Inherent Vice, but this was long after I had read it and I couldn't remember enough stuff to make a good page.

I imagine that's the origin of a lot of short articles.
  • That is likely, yes.

I considered making a page for As Simple As Snow quite a long time ago, but ran into the same problem.

• Would it be okay for me to bump the Sex/Gender thread? I have a bad feeling I'm going to accidentally refer to someone as the wrong gender for some reason.

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    sure

I'd add OpenType features to that list myself, Lee.

So, hello.
  • Gah, I hate these stupid limits that are being imposed on me about the computer.

• Crap! How do I only have fifteen minutes left?

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Kexruct said:

Gah, I hate these stupid limits that are being imposed on me about the computer.

• I mean, come on.  No time at all on the weekdays? I started this school year out fairly well and I'm still being punished.

But thanks anyway, space.

• What? My time is already up?

Bye everyone.

• edited 2012-08-05 17:03:31
    SIX TRUE FACTS ABOUT THE NEXT POSTER:

• They're a transgender Something Awful goon
    • They own two Honda Accords, but never drive them because driving is for sissies
    • They once ate $20 in dimes because I dared them to
    • Their favorite network is ABC
    • They're probably the mayor of some town somewhere
    • They're what Junie B. Jones would be like if she grew up
    what's going on in this thread guys
  • edited 2012-08-05 17:30:53
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • prisoner zero will vacate the human residence or the human residence will be incinerated

(repeat ad infinitum)