The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• @ Bobby: I put water on the stove to boil, then forget about it due to something internet-related, and when I come back, the entire pot's smoking.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the impurities in the water or something.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-09 19:45:29
    Fouria G said:

@ Tre: Well, that seems rather irresponsible.

Eh, it's been that way for years now. Disney would much rather have renamed it in 2001 when they bought it, but if they did they'd lose the rights to the cable companies and they'd have to sign up for a new network.

If it were up to them, it'd be named either "XYZ" or "ABC Spark" at the moment.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-09 19:48:05
    "The next major plan was to reposition the channel to market it to college students, young women, or to a more hip audience under the name XYZ, a reverse reference to ABC. Disney soon found that the channel could never be renamed as such. The original sale from CBN to Fox/Saban contained a stipulation that the channel contain the word "Family" in the name forever, no matter who owns the network. To create XYZ, the Family Channel would have had to cease to exist—terminating all existing cable TV contracts—and XYZ would have to be created as a new network. Cable companies would not be obligated to put XYZ in the spot vacated by the Family Channel. ABC scrapped the idea after discovering this clause."

So basically the channel is XYZ without the actual, y'know, name.
  • I just realised: I can't recall ever meeting an actual Japanese person on the internet.
  • That is likely because most of them speak Japanese.

Japan's internet is rather enclosed (much like the country in general). If you want to meet someone from Japan online your best bet is to learn Japanese and go to 2channel.

• Video unrelated.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I remember reading that ABC Family wanted to change its name to "ABCF" but were threatened with a lawsuit from Pat Robertson had they gone through with it.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-09 20:19:50
    ABC Family got me thinking about Sabrina, the Teenage Witch just now.

I loved that show as a kid, used to air on ABCF all the time after school. (Same with Grounded for Life).

Also, it is very annoying that Season 5-7's theme song doesn't actually exist as a full song, because it is amazing.

^^ ..................deeeeeeeaugh
  • Hey FM is you're still around do you know anything about VST plug-ins?

I know what they are and have a vague idea of how they work, but not really how to use them effectively.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    There's these loud booming noises going on outside. Since it's completely overcast, thunder would be a reasonable assumption. But it doesn't quite sound like how thunder should sound in my mind. It's kind of weirding me out.
  • 'k so I managed to sort-of loop a single synth note in Reaper.

One step at a time, I guess. There are red Xs over parts of the sound blocks, so I'm guessing I did something wrong but am not sure what, exactly. I suppose you're not supposed to lay sound blocks in the same track on top of each other.

• oh hey I found the sampler

which i don't know how to use.

• okay so I set up a sampler controlled by a virtual keyboard. Somehow managed to key a sample to it and everything.

But it's not making any sound.

halp.

• edited 2012-07-09 20:59:07
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Yes, but it's a required field, you can't just leave it blank.

Also I was expected to have contacts' phone numbers on hand, and I do not. So yeah.

For a job like a supermarket stocker, it would probably be ok to just put "n/a" for the previous employers you don't have.

At least, that's what my job coach would tell me to do.

Wouldn't leave the references blank, though.

Fouria G said:

I'd almost forgotten about those things, but that explains a lot; as a kid I remember wondering why the design had changed so drastically, but I never knew what the original brand was because I wasn't aware of brand names at that age (Disney aside).

From what I understand (i.e., what Wikipedia says), Polly Pocket was originally made by a British company called Bluebird Toys, but distributed in the US by Mattel. (Thus the Mattel logo at the end of that video.) Then in '98 Mattel bought Bluebird outright and overhauled the doll's design entirely.

Also the post-1998 ones have those stretchy rubber clothes, which I always thought were cool. Certainly more fun than putting clothes on a Barbie doll.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    That makes sense.

I only ever saw the post-1998 ones in shops and commercials.
  • okay I figured it out but...

jezuz christ this is just weird.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My sister had a few in the early 2000s. I actually learned a lot about playing with dolls from her, because she used to bug me to play Barbie with her on long summer days.

I never had a Polly Pocket of my own, partly because (a) I was a "boy", and (b) dolls were never really my thing.
  • edited 2012-07-09 21:27:09
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I was kind of a weird kid I guess.  I had a friend at school who liked them, so I wanted them too, even though I was a boy.  I had two sets, with a blue case and a larger pink one.  I think all the dolls and pieces eventually broke or went missing.  They were so tiny, and easily lost or trodden on.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    RONALD MCDONALD

vs.

GRIMACE
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I can't think of many toys I actually had and played with as a kid apart from die-cast cars and teddy bears.

Oh, and Micro Machines. What can I say, it was the '90s.

Sometimes I think the fact that I liked "boy" toys as a kid means I can't "really" be a girl, but that's dumb.
    I liked some "girl" toys as a kid...My Little Pony, oddly enough.
    I used to have all this Disney shit back in like 2002. It stemmed from this corporate crush on them.
    ...I never knew what that purple McDonalds thing was called before now.

I mostly played with toy animals, stuffed and plastic.  I ended up building up a fairly large collection of cheap plastic animals.  The dinosaurs were my favourites.  Dolls were fun, but not nearly as exciting as dinosaurs, and I seldom touched toy cars.

The nearby McDonald's is gonna close for three months for remodeling. I wonder what it'll look like.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I read Mary-Kate and Ashley books and Nancy Drew books all through elementary school, as well as this incredibly girly series. Also the Junie B Books (though that was in the past year rather than in childhood). And I still feel pretty set in my masculinity.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah, I don't think what you enjoyed as a kid is an indicator of your gender identity.

Gender-specific marketing is an entirely artificial practice anyway, obviously.
    Heapers care nothing for market-based gender discriminatories

An Imi loves a squiddle too
    Imi, this is the current McDonald's design, perhaps that remodel will follow it.
    Like I said, it's one of those thoughts I know is dumb but can't get out of my head anyway.

I recall one instance when I was 3 or so and playing with the neighbor girl. She had a cheap dollar-store makeup kit, and I wanted her to share, but she told me no because "boys don't wear makeup." So of course I ran crying to our mothers and they were all like "well, boys can wear makeup if they want to..."

why do i remember this
  • Bragh.

I've been getting back into my old habit of flipping shit about absolutely everything. On the one hand this is bad because I'm trying to not be so high-strung all the time. On the other hand a part of me is saying that being like this is just me being conflict-averse and that I'm a wimp for backing out of every argument I get into.

• wheerree is mah bunnehhhhh?????? :<
  • edited 2012-07-09 21:55:06
    @CA: Because...uh...well, I don't have any potentially good reason besides that it would be something worth inserting into the hypothetical autobiography about being transgendered.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, since you consider yourself to be female, you remember that because of stress related to that. Or something. Blah, I don't know enough Pysch stuff for this.
  • edited 2012-07-09 21:55:11
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Re: McDonald's:

This one on Hamilton Road had been one of the oldest on Columbus's east side, and I thought it was cool. But unfortunately when they built a new one (of the style Anonus posted) last year, they shut this one down.

And I recently learned that the old one has been demolished. ;_;
  • edited 2012-07-09 21:54:45
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Fuck, link fixed.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Don't worry, I mega manned all day.
  • edited 2012-07-09 21:56:19
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    CA, you linked to the first page of "Say hello".

^^Oh wait, you noticed.
    Well, that McD's looks all right I guess...but I wonder about the inside.

I actually did see, at work a while back, some designs for a new McDonald's interior that made it look all "nice restaurant" instead of "eat cheap and fast".
  • edited 2012-07-09 21:58:49
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Oh, CA, I've been meaning to mention -- I was at Goodwill today, and I saw a couple interesting-looking clocks. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures, but one of them was apple-shaped and another one had a sketch of a horse in the background.

Also, that McDonald's parking lot looks much bigger than most of the ones we have around here. Though maybe it's perspective playing with my head.
    ^^The one nearest the house looks kinda like this inside.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    speaking of goodwill, this is what I finished today (posted from facebook)

Okay, I'll have pictures later, but I've finally finished my home theater system. It consists of: a pair of discontinued radio shack 3-way speakers (8" woofers, 4" mids, tweets) had for $30, a Sony HDMI/digital home theater amp (100W x 5ch) that I found at Goodwill for $30, for rear surround there is two Denon studio monitors (6" woofer, 1" neo tweet) $35 for both at discontinued price, a 100W powered sub someone left on the curb for free. It's hooked up digitally to my PS3, and to my PC because I found a digital-capable SB Audigy in the trash. Total cost plus nice (monoprice.com) speaker wire, around $105 total. 

Anyway I fired up the THX deep note at full blast and it scared the shit out of the rabbits. Mission accomplished!

On a side note, after testing the speakers, I really, really don't see the necessity of a center speaker. The two fronts image that perfectly, at least to me it seems.

awwww yeah GET SOME
  • Most McDonald's in the US have been given a mandate from Corporate to apply the new "McCafe" redesign or they face fines. Some exceptions are made, but not many.

My mom works for McD's so I know a lot of this weird business politic culture they've got going on.

For instance, employees are required to put the straws to your soda in the bag now, as opposed to just handing them to you. They get written up if they don't.

Ha! I wondered earlier tonight if they would put a straw in my bag. THEY DIDN'T.

• I finally got out of the house again just now, my dad went to Sbux and got us a big frappucino to split. ^_^

I might have to keep him around. Can be kinda pushy sometimes, but he's not so bad. :)
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

Most McDonald's in the US have been given a mandate from Corporate to apply the new "McCafe" redesign or they face fines. Some exceptions are made, but not many.

My mom works for McD's so I know a lot of this weird business politic culture they've got going on.

For instance, employees are required to put the straws to your soda in the bag now, as opposed to just handing them to you. They get written up if they don't.

#216997 (367/541↑Funny ↓Not ⚐Flag 
    <Shii> ethane, mcdonalds can be a fun and rewarding job
    <Shii> to get fired from
    <Cpl_Ethane> Shii: I worked there, over uhm
    <Cpl_Ethane> 15 years ago
    <Cpl_Ethane> and I got fired
    <Shii> what for?
    <Cpl_Ethane> shii: you know those paper burger king crowns that BK used to hand out? I showed up to work wearing one
    Amusingly enough, this post showed up on my dash a few hours ago.

Obviously that's approaching it more from a nostalgia angle, but it seems fitting enough for this conversation.
  • BK still gives you those.

I kind of want to get one on my birthday and show up at school wearing it.
  • :/

I'll be completely honest, I wish people would just do their jobs at McDonald's. My mom's the personnel manager, and given the things I've heard it's got to just be an awful job. They had somebody quit the other day because they were told they weren't allowed to wear hoop earrings to work. Quit! Over something so silly! In this economy.

Also she gets paid only twenty cents more than the people she supervises.