The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

CA, you linked to the first page of "Say hello".

Yeah. I copy-pasted the wrong thing.

Oh, CA, I've been meaning to mention -- I was at Goodwill today, and I saw a couple interesting-looking clocks. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures, but one of them was apple-shaped and another one had a sketch of a horse in the background.

Also, that McDonald's parking lot looks much bigger than most of the ones we have around here. Though maybe it's perspective playing with my head.
    Ooh, those sound cool!

And yeah, that McDonald's did have a strangely huge parking lot. I know of only one other one around here with a parking lot that size, too.

Most McDonald's in the US have been given a mandate from Corporate to apply the new "McCafe" redesign or they face fines. Some exceptions are made, but not many.

Well, that sucks ass. I hate it when corporations go all "PURGE THE OLD" on everything, especially when what they're replacing it with sucks ass.
  • Burger King's much more recent redesign is far, far worse.

For a couple reasons:

• They're doing it specifically to appeal to the people who are drawn in by the McCafe' thing.
    • They got rid of their fucking chicken fries and replaced it with this godawful new chicken tender shit that burns my tastebuds. And I don't mean that it's spicy.
    • Most of the new products are ill conceived and even more ill implemented (who the hell wants a goddamn bacon sundae?!)
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

(who the hell wants a goddamn bacon sundae?!)

I think I remember Imi trying one of those and talking about the experience in the motherheap.
  • They're not that old, they literally just rolled them out here a month or two ago.

Just....why?

And they replaced their in-house ciniminies (which are godly) with "Cinnabon Mini Cinnamon Buns" which are horrid. Also unlike the ciniminies you can't chose whether or not they have icing on them (the cinimines' icing came in a dipping cup), it's already on there.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    PROBATION

Date: 07/09/2012 10:14pm

Horrible Jerk: Central Avenue

Punishment Reason: Using "sucks ass" twice in the same sentence? Pay more attention to what you post. User loses posting privileges for 3 seconds.

Requested by: Central Avenue

Approved by: Central Avenue
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

Also she gets paid only twenty cents more than the people she supervises.

If that's all your mom is getting paid more for when it comes to supervising the work done there as well as dealing with asshole customers and their crying/screaming/vomiting kids, that should be proof enough that McDonalds is a fucking asshole corporation that nobody should work for

I won't patronize the place anymore due to years ago in a sweltering heat wave, the local mcdonald's (not the one that fired me) had their A/C break down and corporate would not let them shut down and made them work in that hot-ass environment. I'm a Reaganite capitalist and that kind of shit there and what your mother deals with really starts to make Lenin and Trotsky talked about sound sensible.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

(who the hell wants a goddamn bacon sundae?!)

I think I remember Imi trying one of those and talking about the experience in the motherheap.
    Someone did, but it wasn't me.
  • I know that, I'm not defending Corporate--fuck Corporate--I'm defending the people who work there because they have to. Such as my mom and most of her friends, plus most of the long-term employees.

My mom actually hates the place enough that she won't let me get a job there, and this is my mother we're talking about. Who's been hounding me to get a job since I was 15.

I will not defend, however, the spoiled brats who work there for no obvious reason, and quit whenever they feel like it cuz they have Daddy to go home to.

It was Seamus, I believe, and it was a Bacon Shake from Jack in the Box.
    heh heh heh

Justice might like

this
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I just adjusted my sound system again to push out more juice and played the THX deep note at full blast and now the neighborhood dogs are barking. 

BALL

ER
  • edited 2012-07-09 22:23:49
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    CA: Oh yeah, that was it! Derp.

Anyhow, on the plus side, Wendy's probably isn't free of silly corporate politics, but it still seems like a pretty nice place. Not to mention they have Frosties and a spicy chicken sandwich that I like.
  • PROBATION

Date: 07/09/2012 10:14pm

Horrible Jerk: Central Avenue

Punishment Reason: Using "sucks ass" twice in the same sentence? Pay more attention to what you post. User loses posting privileges for 3 seconds.

Requested by: Central Avenue

Approved by: Central Avenue
    yay im not the only dude to be probated ever here anymore

lets make a "posters who were probated" club
  • CA: Oh yeah, that was it! Derp.

Anyhow, on the plus side, Wendy's probably isn't free of silly corporate politics, but it still seems like a pretty nice place. Not to mention they have Frosties and a spicy chicken sandwich that I like.

Wendy's is apparently actually a very nice place to work. 

Irony, I think: My mom's name is Wendy.

• LOL. Speaking of my mom, apparently my grandma put a magic spell on her to "cleanse her negative energy" last night when she was staying over there.

My grandmother is a wiccan for the record, but the way it's phrased. Oi.

This is the part where I brag about having eaten at the first Wendy's several times before they closed it down
    Wendy's is the only fast food place I actually sit down and eat in. It does seem to have a better atmosphere or something. The employees are usually nice.
    The Wendy's that started it all:

Operated from 1969 to 2007.
  • life's changing around me, I'm gonna make it mine
    I'm reaching out and livin' by my rules
    time's movin' way too fast, I wanna make it last
    cuz I'm out on my own now and I like the way it feeeels
    Ooh, this page has a bunch of neat pictures of the first Wendy's. As well as its current appearance as the Catholic Foundation's headquarters.

I kinda resent that the Catholic Foundation went and renovated the building beyond recognition. That was a piece of this city's history! >:(
  • edited 2012-07-09 22:37:32
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I hate when corporations go "PURGE THE OLD" too. It's like they hate whatever individuality/charm might have sprung up when they weren't looking.

Also the idea of Burger King trying to be classy/upscale amuses me. This runs counter to a good chunk of their marketing from 2003 onward.

^the mundane has a perception filter on it, but it doesn't work on us.
  • It's finally raining for the first time in 2-3 weeks over here.

I'm rather happy right now.
    road movie
  • edited 2012-07-09 22:40:07
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^Yeah, I can hear the thunder (which now sounds more like thunder should sound in my head).

Now we have something besides HOT in our weather.
  • edited 2012-07-09 22:41:14
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

^the mundane has a perception filter on it, but it doesn't work on us.

That's going in my signature, if you don't mind.
  • currently playing Pokemon White for no reason and listening to Brian Eno.

I find this game far, far more enjoyable if I ignore the plot. I really don't like the plot of this one, great game otherwise though.

• edited 2012-07-09 22:42:48
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    AU: Not only that, but trying to be classy and upscale while apparently cheaping out on the food badly.
  • Yeah the only things I eat there anymore are French Fries and Onion Rings (thank god they still have Zesty Sauce).
  • I'm listening to the 2 disk special edition of A Love Supreme

It's awesooome~
  • edited 2012-07-09 22:48:44
    Lazuli: I thought the plot was okay myself. Nothing earth-shattering, but not too bad either. But aside from that, it has Krookodile, Archeops, Cofagrigus, Reuniclus, and others that I've grown to like a lot.

I'm currently replaying Pokémon HeartGold. I think I'll take it a little slower this time, try not to rush myself. I'm still debating whether to stick with just a few of my favorites or catch a whole bunch and try out ones I haven't used before.
  • John Coltrane.

A Love Supreme is often listed amongst the greatest jazz albums of all time.[19][20][21][22][23]
    It was also quite popular for a jazz album, selling about 500,000
    copies by 1970, a number far exceeding Coltrane's typical Impulse! sales
    of around 30,000.[24] As further testimony to the recording's historic significance, the manuscript for the album is one of the National Museum of American History's "Treasures of American History", part of the collection of the Smithsonian Institution.[25] In 2003, the album was ranked number 47 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.[26]
    The publication called it a "legendary album-long hymn of praise" and
    stated "The indelible four-note theme of the first movement,
    'Acknowledgment,' is the humble foundation of the suite. But Coltrane's
    majestic, often violent blowing (famously described as 'sheets of
    sound') is never self-aggrandizing. Aloft with his classic quartet...,
    Coltrane soars with nothing but gratitude and joy. You can't help but go
    with him."[26] The Penguin Guide to Jazz
    selected this album as part of its suggested "Core Collection" and
    awarded it a "crown" stating "It is without precedent and parallel, and
    though it must also be one of the best loved jazz records of all time it
    somehow remains remote from critical pigeonholing" calling it
    "immensely concentrated and rich."[27]

And now you know.

• ^Y'know I actually like, knew that. In the sense that I knew John Coltrane had an album called that, I just didn't make the connection for some reason. I'm a derp.

^^Thing about the plot was I thought it catered to the older fans waaaaaaaaaay too much. My little brother is a huge Pokemon fan too and he has a copy of Black, and he actually cried several times while playing through it because of Team Plasma's whole PokePETA spiel.

It's a great game mechanically and for all other intents and purposes, it's just the whole POKEMON TRAINING IS EVIL BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH thing makes it slightly harder for me to enjoy it.

As for pace, I'm trying to take my time this time too. Last time I was rather concerned with whooping Plasma's ass for making my little brother cry. This time I'mma try and explore the side areas and such.

The only two pokemon I'm currently properly raising are Snivy and Purrloin.

• edited 2012-07-09 22:50:45

Really? I liked the stronger plot. As did my sis.
  • I won't deny that it's stronger, and it has, I suppose you could say, more merit. I just didn't like it.

And again, I felt it was trying way too hard to pander to the older Pokemaniacs.

• It semi-(emphasis on semi-)canonized a lot of the grimdark theories people have been floating around the web since Pokemon was a thing.

Now, they obviously toned them down a lot. But it's still a tad disheartening to even see the whole "Pokemon battling is immoral" thing brought up at all. I know it was resolved in favor of it not being such, but the whole thing just feels extremely cheap to me regardless.

I think it was intended perhaps less to pander to those people and more to respond to them, and in that light, I get it. 

Don't let me give off the impression that I dislike the game as a whole though, I don't. A lot of aesthetics and little things make it so much more than many of the other games, but that tiny bit just nags at me.

p/g
  • That's the thing with still-developing works and fandoms. If the fandom is large enough, any development will overlap with someone's pet theory.
  • Indeed.

I know they're doing direct sequels to B/W but I hope the trend doesn't really continue after that. 

Fandoms seeping into their parent works tends to end poorly.

• I didn't say seeping.

What's a franchise supposed to do? Just sit there?
    shadows cross your window, was it only trees in the wind
    Dude has a bucket on his head
  • I never said that.

I just think that progression should be natural, as opposed to "well the fanbase thinks X about Y, so let's make X canon."

Pokemon's not anywhere near that yet, though, really.

• edited 2012-07-09 23:05:49

The progression seems natural to me. And I don't think they're doing that because of the fanbase.
  • I disagree. I think that kind of thinking usually ends up with a product that feels forced.

But, I'm not too keen on going on about this, so I'm gonna drop it now if that's okay with you.