Heaper Updates

Comments

• update i walked a lot today and i took a bath
  • Six-hour flight tomorrow, and after that this adventure is at an end. As amazing as it's been I am beyond ready to go home and see my friends again.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    D'aww
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

@Alice: Do your banks have drive-thrus at all?

No. The only drive-through things we have are fast food restaurants and car washes.
    So, turns out that I'm autistic. Whee.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well, at the very least, you're in good company here. :P
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    lgbt autism: the forum
  • edited 2014-04-28 08:40:29
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    *gives Fossilmaiden a gesture of affection that will not make her uncomfortable* :)
  • edited 2014-04-28 19:36:33
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Anonus said:

...Drive through cash machines?

a lot of things about American culture seem to perplex you
    this was an entirely foreign concept to me too

i've never heard of them before

and it is surprising.... i think i know lots about American culture because of TV and the internet and shared cultural roots and you know, the absence of the language barrier, but every now and then something like this catches me off-guard

like when it came out on reddit that electric kettles are not to be found in every normal American household, that was weird
  • I don't even know what an electric kettle is.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-04-28 20:44:04
    we kind of have one but it looks like this and is (ostensibly) a coffee maker

the thing about Keurig machines is that they use these packets of drink mixes called K-Cups, and while they originally were only made for coffee the brand has expanded to include other kinds of drinks as well, including tea, hot cocoa, non-alcoholic apple cider, etc.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's a thing shaped vaguely like a jug with a wire sticking out

you fill it with water, plug it in, switch it on, and it boils the water for you, much quicker than a stove would

i think the reason they're more common over here is that we drink more tea than you guys

electric coffee pots are pretty rare over here, incidentally
  • but if you don't have a K-Cup for some tea you can just run it without one and it'll make a cup of hot water, which is great if you like your tea full-leaf or out of a bag
    A lot of American banks also have full-service drive-thrus, where you're served by an actual human employee. They don't look much like, say, fast-food drive-thrus...there's usually 2 or 3 lanes and instead of interacting through a window you use an intercom and pneumatic tubes.

Here's a picture from Wikipedia:

The advantage of a drive-thru ATM over the full-service drive-thru is, of course, that you can use the ATM even when the bank is closed.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    We have an electric kettle here that looks like this:

I don't think Braun makes this model anymore, but T-Fal and Proctor-Silex make comparable ones. 

We also have a Keurig machine, but we haven't used it much as the novelty wore off pretty fast.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ Other countries don't have those? What does Miko know.
    Alice said banks in England don't have drive-thrus, so I assume they're mostly an Americanism...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Most Canadian banks have a little entryway with some ATMs in it. They can be accessed 24/7, even when the actual bank building is closed.

I've only seen like two or three drive-thru banks in my life, however.
  • kill living beings
    drive thru ATMs are notable for me in that if you want to deposit a check there's a good chance you'll have to use a pneumo
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

A lot of American banks also have full-service drive-thrus, where you're served by an actual human employee. They don't look much like, say, fast-food drive-thrus...there's usually 2 or 3 lanes and instead of interacting through a window you use an intercom and pneumatic tubes.

The advantage of a drive-thru ATM over the full-service drive-thru is, of course, that you can use the ATM even when the bank is closed.
    Out here we don't have the pneumatic tubes
    Britain has entire power stations for electric kettles.

Most Canadian banks have a little entryway with some ATMs in it. They can be accessed 24/7, even when the actual bank building is closed.

We have those too. It was actually one of those that cheated me out of $30 a couple weeks ago. :P
    Anonus said:

Huh, I didn't realize it was different from region to region. What do you have then?

yeah i've definitely never seen anything like this before

i wonder if it is a specifically North American, chiefly US thing, or if the UK is unusual for not having adopted them?
  • edited 2014-04-28 21:13:28

Britain has entire power stations for electric kettles.

it would certainly be surprising to go into a British house and find that they didn't have a kettle

it'd be like not having a fridge, or an oven

We have those too. It was actually one of those that cheated me out of $30 a couple weeks ago. :P
    Anonus said:

Huh, I didn't realize it was different from region to region. What do you have then?
    Well, the KeyBanks have just an ATM in their drive-thru...
  • edited 2014-04-28 21:02:10
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

yeah i've definitely never seen anything like this before

i wonder if it is a specifically North American, chiefly US thing, or if the UK is unusual for not having adopted them?

I'd always assumed it was the former, just because US culture is heavily automobile-centric, but I don't know for sure...

Anonus said:

Well, the KeyBanks have just an ATM in their drive-thru...

Ah, right, I think you've mentioned that before.
    ok, that's hilarious
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    There's actually several pumped-storage plants in the US for similar reasons. The biggest one I can think of is at Niagara Falls (and Ontario Hydro has one on the Canadian side), and there's also one here in Virginia.
  • kill living beings
    yeah, obviously the US doesn't have constant flat power demand either, but explaining it in terms of tea and EastEnders is still pretty great
  • Cramps: because you weren't doing anything important anyway

(Couldn't decide between emotional pile and health heap so brought it here wowee :V)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    are they bad cramps
  • naw they're actually really sweet once you get to know them
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ok
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Are they Teenage Werewolves? Human Flies? Do they want to know what's behind the green door? Do they dance The Crusher? Do they rock on the moon? Do they eat stuff off the sidewalk?

yeah, obviously the US doesn't have constant flat power demand either, but explaining it in terms of tea and EastEnders is still pretty great

you forgot Doctor Who and Marmite and The Hundred and One Dalmatians
  • edited 2014-04-30 08:12:17
    but the article doesn't mention those things!

and the latter doesn't actually strike me as very British

nobody remembers the book, the movie is what-Americans-think-Britain-is-like rather than actually British, and the cartoon didn't even try
  • The book is very British, though

I remember reading some of The Starlight Barking and being utterly lost because of how it was written
    the age of the book probably doesn't help there, i'd imagine

i haven't read it
    I haven't read either book, but I want to at least read the first one

Also when it comes to stereotypically "British" works of fiction my mind goes to Sherlock Holmes, but that's because I'm Central Avenue
    i dunno, those are pretty darn British
    I didn't notice the article link, somehow...

Also I shoved The Hundred and One Dalmatians in there for my own amusement
    Good news: We're not junking the Toyota after all

Dad told the mechanic he was going to junk it and the mechanic was all like "What, over this? Just let me fix it; it's a perfectly good car"

So I'm having it repaired this week! ^_^
    Yay!
  • edited 2014-04-30 16:08:47
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Congrats on your car surviving.

Do those still exist? I remember they had them when I was a kid but I haven't seen one in years and years.
  • edited 2014-04-30 16:06:52
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^Cool!
    Thanks guys ^_^

@Haven: The three banks nearest my house all have them, and they were all built from 2007 or so onward...
  • Ah, okay. Guess I should've banked on that.
  • Haven said:

Ah, okay. Guess I should've banked on that.

That reminds me. I cast you as Mr. Tusks for the Dinosaur Comics Heaper Casting.

It was the easiest one to do out of all of them.
  • edited 2014-04-30 16:23:04
    kill living beings
    full service is still common around my parents too

not universal thoug