Something just hit me

Comments

• ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    So, none of the mods (the ones with suitable free time at least, which narrows it down even further) or anyone else with a reasonably good relationship with the moderation and lack of a life know anything related to any of that?
  • edited 2012-01-10 22:49:01
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to rule out any of the people I said earlier, or Solstace for that matter, but other than them, nobody springs to mind.

I dunno if any mods other than Tangent have knowledge of that kind of thing.  Fighteer might?  Dunno, never seen him help out with it, though.
  • I wouldn't exactly count good relations to the moderation as a good qualification.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    It may not be, but it does help, considering if they dislike they mods they'll be infinitely less willing to help.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:04:03
    We'll let you know if ever we want you to pick somebody to help run the wiki, tnu.
  • I wish I could make the forums better somehow.
  • I woulden't know where to start, but to rspond to vM. I dislike the mods plenty but I love TVT dearly.
  • I miss the days of shitposts, crazy talk in Fetishes, cool people to talk to...
  • I miss the days of IJBM and not being banned.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tnu, Fourier is one of their mods. Try and be careful around him.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:10:57
    I really don't see Eddie entrusting the running of the wiki to somebody who openly disliked him.  He's not daft.

^ He knows.
  • I don 't dislike Eddie per se. I adm9ire him for sure but I'm concerned about where he's taking the site.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I miss the days of shitposts, crazy talk in Fetishes, cool people to talk to...

QFT. The fora, or at least Yack Fest, is just so... I want to say formulaic but that doesn't quite express my feelings towards it.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:16:51
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    YF feels insular to me. It's felt this way for a while, really.

^^^Crap. Born of density, there. Sorry.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Repetitive?  Bland?
  • The Wiki really started to lose it with introduction of thigns like the permenat redlink club, the mandatory positivity and  removal or renaming of articles with "negative" sounding names, and the rampent renaming of snowclone titles or outright deletion thereof.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:19:33
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^^^,^^ Yes, those are all exactly the words I was looking for (not sarcasm). Then again, I may be biased since all of the tropers I like either left or were banned and I don't feel like getting to know the new crowd at all, but then again I did notice it becoming like that before I even left so it's not bias, YF is just slowly deteriorating.

^Oddly enough, I agree.
  • vM I co mpletely know what you mean. I have trouble making new friends because I feel like it's not worth the trouble at this point since I'd probably end up losing them anyway and that scares me to no end.
    Most of the tropers I like either left, were banned, or are just rarely around anymore.  I do like some of the current community, but I feel kind of outside it now since most of the current people I don't know all that well, and they all seem to know one another.

Not sure how I feel on the negativity front.  I think we went overboard with it.

I like that incomprehensible names are getting replaced, though.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:23:22
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^^Sucks to hear that, but that's not really what I'm feeling. I guess I'm just lazy, or maybe I'm just writing the new crowd off too quickly, but they just seem so... I remember someone once saying that YF felt too "cliquish" which was certainly a problem when I was a regular but now it seems so much more rampant.

^Seconded on all counts.
  • Plus the renaming of IJBM and cutlisting of Troper Tales and complete b utching of Fetish Fuel was a b ig blow to the wiki.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Actually I think the axing of TT and FF was a step in the right direction and I commend everyone who had a hand in it, but the renaming of IJBM was pretty pointless.
  • I completely disagree TT and FF had a place on the wiki and had earned t hat place. They were established parts of the site and axing them killed part of the site.
    I don't care all that much for "Headscratchers", but Fetish Fuel was just kind of sad and Troper Tales was an embarrassment; I'm not sorry to be rid of either.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:34:58
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    What 4ier said. I'm not so mad about the change from "IJBM" to "Headscratchers", but IJBM because it's so pointless and stupid sounding.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's pretty depressing of an outlook. T hat you can just accept or even relish in the butchering of the site like that. It's like amputation or lobotomy really.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:36:29
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    But they were kind of actively contributing to it's downfall. Yes, it is like an amputation, but to go further with that analogy, if you're climbing Mount Everest and get frostbite on your leg and have to have it amputated or have it spread to the rest of your body and die a horrible death, which option are you going to pick? I, for one, would be happy to be rid of that leg.
  • It's my leg there are many like it. But this one is mine.  Ho w was it harming the Wiki anyway? You didn't have to view it or edit it  So it makes no sense for some or even a majority of people to ruin it for everyone else.
    I think of it more like cytoreduction than amputation, tbh.

@ squiddleTron: The page now just reads "Note: A parsing fix has broken this flaw demonstration."  And it's locked.
  • What is wrong wiht everyone? Wh at is their beaf with these sections? What did they ever do to you?
    Fetish Fuel was, to Eddie, "creepy" and really kind of trivial and Troper Tales has Internet-wide renown as a laughingstock.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:43:18
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • So? What actual harm did it do? That's not really a good reasoning "laughing stock" it just comes off as an excuse or handwave with out any clear meaning especially i n an objective sense. They were not hurting anyone and were by that point staples of the site.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    1. They gave the site a bad reputation. 2. They made the idiots of the fora think it was okay to, well, be idiots on the fora and spout out useless crap that mattered to no one and made them look bad. 3. They were useless and taking up valuable bandwith that could have been used for more important, less creepy things. 4. Did I mention they were both immensely creepy? Because they were. This kind of relates to the first point, but if some poor uninformed soul stumbled upon one of them by accident, they would've thought that the entire site was full of freaks like that and that's a bad thing.
    Well, as a mod I was expected to read that stuff, which I expect cost me a braincell or two.

But more than that, Troper Tales was a very prominent section of the wiki, and it was not doing what it was supposed to do.  It was meant to be illustrative; instead it was just filling up with bragging and creepy/violent fantasies and stupidity.  Hence, an embarrassment.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I'm also not really sure why anyone would want to be part of a site where TroperTales/BrotherSisterIncest or whatever was considered a "staple".
  • that seems like cutting off your arm because you diden't like the way it lo oked. the only argument that really holds any water so far is bandwidth.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:48:55
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    No, Tnu, it's like cutting off your arm because it's spreading cancerous cells to the rest of your body and is actively hindering you from living your life as you want to live it. They carried bad publicity, which turned away potential new users and caused problems with advertising, which is kind of necessary for the site's survival.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:48:53
    ^^ Except an arm is pretty useful, and cutting it off hurts.

^ or that.
  • I find it hard to swallow that the remo val of those sections didn't bother you at all. besides your point about the Brother Sister Incest is moot sin ce it was made by a mod soley to be locked and make sure there was no such page to post on.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:51:33
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    No, it was once a full-fledged page with anecdotes, several of which were posted by trolls.

There were a bunch of other incest-related pages, too (Kissing Cousins and Parental Incest, the former of which managed to avoid getting cut somehow for some time, and the latter of which got the axe soon after the Google Incident).
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:51:50
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Why would a mod make a page just to lock it? That makes no sense. And I'm not really seeing how this is so hard to understand, but alright, you are allowed your opinion and I am allowed mine.

^Also that
  • It just gets me emotional Okay seeing the wiki being corrupted in such a way just. It's hard to deal with.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:53:35
    No, I'm sorry to say that Brother Sister Incest was an actual Troper Tales page that got deleted and locked early on. (ninja'd, obviously)

And no, it didn't bother me at all that they got removed.  I was kind of happy, honestly.  The only part that bothered me was the half-hearted attempt to retain them as "Article Talk" (scrapped soon afterwards, thankfully).
  • That is incredibly disheartening. Not sure what to make of this attitude.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:55:29
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Corrupted? Surely you jest! Tnu, TT and FF were the corruption.

What was it about them that you liked?
    Tnu, Troper Tales really did have to go. It existed at least in part to "quarantine" content the site shouldn't have hosted in the first place, and it invited that same stuff. Fetish Fuel definitely did the latter.
  • edited 2012-01-10 23:59:32
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^This is exactly right, and anything built to "quarantine" the worst stuff on the site simply should not exist. It's an excuse for lazy moderation. "Hey, we don't feel like cracking down on you guys for being freaks so just put all your creepy bullshit here so we don't have to deal with it".