Something just hit me

edited 2012-01-08 00:33:58 in Talk
Is an y one else thinking of Fast Eddies behavior sin ce the deletion of IJBM onward as a huge Creator Breakdown? I can't help but think that something snapped in the mans head at some point Which is wh y he had so man y changes made to the site since. the mandatory positivity, deletion of some Just For Fun pages and namespaces. Much more rampent banning activity? I t all stinks of Creator Breakdown. I would guess that th is happened some time at the very earliest after Janitor left. Seems like the logical assumption of a catalyst. Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    He's struck me as kind of a hothead even before IJBM got the axe. It's just that people seem to actually care about this now, at least people who haven't left.
  • People have been saying this for years.
  • I can't imagine FE doesn't still keep contact with Janitor, they're close friends. At least that's the impression I always got.

Jan doesn't post anymore mostly because she has a very demanding job.

• It's ju8st depressing I find m yself unab le to give up on TVT because it was a sanctuary for me in tough times. I h ave a love for the wiki because it gave me something I haden't had 98in a l ong time. A sense of place. Being a virtual nomad sucks.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    There are rumours on the internet that FE = Gus = Jan
  • I find it difficult to comment, because, as much as I don't like the changes on TVT - it used to be the only place I felt like I belong, and it is no longer so - I suppose I still should be grateful for making that site in the first place
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "There are rumours on the internet that FE = Gus = Jan"

This certainly makes some of the conversations on the cobbies thread rather interesting...
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Oh, how so?

Well there's this and this.

Oh man, really am a TV Tropes old fag at this point.

This is where discuss the waffle recipe I use on a fairly regular bases and here is where I discuss the Thai restaurant that's pretty much become staple food at our house.
  • Amen Beholder. Wait are you the same person as Beholdress i'm not sure.

• Just figured I'd clear that up because I wasn't sure. Ha san yone ever told you you have beautiful eyes?
  • Ahh, thank you. Which ones? (blushes)
  • the other ones

Your Death ray and Fear ray especially. 
  • It's pretty scary though. TVT is falling apart and changing rapidly and thwsre's nothing that can be done about it.
  • It's just a website. Fast Eddie's nuts, but if the entire site falls apart I still have my friends' emails and phone numbers and screen names. Failing that, there's IRC and, hey, this place. It's not like the people will be gone forever, just a certain social configuration, and that's always been in flux.
    There have been several points in the last several months where I have tried to leave outright. I never know where exactly to go, though this place is obvious (as I am its creator and very involved in its community and upkeep), but I figure somewhere else would be fine too.
  • That's very strange kind of hard to comprehend just uprooting a place and disgarding it. Seems like i'm one of the few who has a hard time wiht that.
    TVT has a way of sucking you in. I've been able to take breaks from the place before, but I've never been able to stay away for very long.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    If the Trash Heap somehow bit the dust, I might be able to quit TVT.

Maybe.
    I've tried the whole "sticking to your watchlist" thing before, but it didn't work. Felt more insular than just frequenting one board most of the time.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've been doing the "stick to my watchlist" for what...a year now? It's basically second nature now.

Also, IJBM has been dead for a year and I forgot to mark the occasion. Ah well.
    I marked it by visiting IJBM2 (something I seldom do) and using that Link avatar that its personification did for a time.
  • Stick to your Watchlist?--
    Yeah. Put a bunch of threads on it and don't stray from them most of the time.
  • Strangely I don't quite like to do that right now i'm  just trying tog et access to the site again. Have to be able to do it.
    *sigh* It's not happening. Sorry.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have wanted to leave TVT for a while now, but I'm just too attached to the place. It's one of very few places where I feel I fit in and I don't want to lose that feeling.

I keep wanting to branch out to other forums and interact with entirely new people, but I wouldn't even know where to start.
  • CA knows what I'm feeling here except i've pretty m uch given up on  "branching out" im a type ot find a place and settle there. After a while i've exhausted my capacity to do so. So to you Anon I say that I hope to God that you are wrong. If you're right then I really don't know.

I found reexamining my posting habits has helped a bit. I just stick to a few threads and occasionally peruse OTC (often finding nothing of interest).
  • OTC was really the problem filled with a bunch of pretentious (and yes I know what i'm saying), smug, judgmental, high-headed, (insert projective here because I can't think of a good one. If an admin wants to edit one in feel free to do so). Not sure if i'm allowed to mention any names.
  • edited 2012-01-08 23:21:31
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Probably best if you didn't. It's not bad to discuss this stuff, but we don't want to turn it vindictive to specific tropers. 
  • This is goin g to make me such a hypocrite but I can't pass it up. What's a tropper? For that matter though it's no one who goes here though I'd love to get a chan ce to shove a foot of their collective asses.
    A troper. Justice makes typos sometimes.

If by "sometimes" you mean "about every other post" then that would be accurate.
  • edited 2012-01-08 23:25:12
    I know it was a bit of a joke feels good to get some payback for all the crapI get about

D:< Now, I've been very good about not giving you crapl! 

;P
  • You're right you didn't deserve that i'm sorry.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know what's weird? It annoyed me when people acted like IJBM was some kind of plague that must be avoided at all costs, but I just avoid OTC even though people say the same shit about it.
  • edited 2012-01-08 23:30:21
    That's because OTC is a wretc hed Hive. Filled with so me of the worst kidns of people I have ever met. But that would just be my rational.
    People there have said some rather appalling things, though I usually don't see them unless they get quoted somewhere else.

I think they're both negative in their own right.

IJBM was almost designed to bread negativity. But was even worse was that people would often attack the opening post (which was often fairly unapologetically negative) the rest created drama and tons of work for the mods.

OTC has many controversial topics with people absolutely certain they're in the right. Now, the rules tend to keep things civil on the surface at least, but many people are fairly hostile. This SHOULD cause the mods tons of work, but I think they simply don't care to police OTC that much unless someone reports something.
    IJBM was inherently negative. It was a forum devoted to complaining!
  • edited 2012-01-08 23:49:57
    and with out it all of that just went to other parts of the site. Even in wiki politics create a rule patch it does not work. In my general understanding laws actually do very little to deterr crime. In fact they have a tendency to simply create new criminals ( Drug  Prohibition for example) or put the innocent at a disadvantage (firearm legislation). But that's going a  bit of a step further in applicaiton.

Eh, I think it depends on WHICH laws we're talking about

Theft is one I think we'd see a great increase of if it wasn't punished and if there was no one to stop others from taking the law into their own hand, I'd imagine we'd become a much more violent society if we could steal when we please and dish out retribution as we see fit. 

Restricting substances definitely has a different mentality. As shown currently with some drugs and in the past with prohibition, the laws can easily cause more crime than they prevent, but I don't think that necessarily carries over to other types of laws.

Not sure how much of this applies to the TVT fora, but I think if there where no rules regarding treating people civilly or they weren't enforced at all, the fora would be much more hostile than it already is. 

I've seen threads with little to know rules regarding treating each other civilly. They're not nice places.
  • edited 2012-01-09 00:40:50
    This can all boil down to semantics too on the subject of laws. If there is no law then is there a crime? One could say that law by its very nature creates crime. But that's quite the philosophical minefield to tread. I'm more of the mind that the law should be as clear as possible without room for Loophole Abuse on either side. Rather against the whole "Moderators can act on their discretion and ban you for any reason wit hout warning" appraoch. There really needs to be mo re of a system of enumerated powers to allow people ot feel safe from the whims of the administration.

EDIT: Really sorrya b out that went in to a tangent again feel free to igno re that.

I agree that the sort of "vague and ill defined reasons you can be banned for" thing hasn't worked out that. well for the fora. 
  • You kno w you do seem to l ive up to your name my friend.