Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The storm outside is the remnants of Tropical Storm Rosa.  It picked a fight with the continent and lost hard.  Sure, it's a great storm, but this place, this valley where I live?  It's as hard for a hurricaine to get at us from the Pacific as it is from the Atlantic.  To the east, we got loads of land in the way.  To the west, we got less land, but more mountains.  

This is where the storm ends, clearing out the smoke from the valley and giving much-needed rain to our crops and gardens, ending a long drought.

This... this is why I live here.  This is where the storms end.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That would make a great opening to a book.
  • edited 2018-10-03 03:23:16
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    It feels wrong, somehow, a storm coming from the south.  Storms come from the west here.  As a kid, I thought it was somehow connected to how the sun came from the east.  The sky goes east-west and west-east, the mountains go north-south and south-north.

Ask anyone from a nearby valley, we all know that mountains go north-south.  Put us in a place where mountains go east-west, and watch us get dizzy as the shadows point the wrong way and the moon rises where it shouldn't.  Even in my dreams the winds blow from the east, never from the south.  Even in my dreams, I always know which way I'm facing.

But here I am, hearing the rain hit the north wall, stranger than any dream.  This water outside was in the pacific, these winds were born in the great currents below Mexico.  Had hurricane Rosa gone much further northeast, it could have passed the continental divide, and the waters would have ended up in the gulf or in the Atlantic.

This storm has a name.  This storm has a darn name!  I've never seen a storm with a name!
    (2015 self)
    Or, rather, Wikipedia made my point more concisely:

List of Utah Hurricaines (Page does not exist)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    We don't get hurricanes here either, but there is the occasional tornado.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Man that tornado warning yesterday spooked me.

When I was a kid, I was terrified of tornadoes, they were my main source of anxiety.
    (2015 self)
    Sorry for not posting lately.

I have midterms and have been desk-ridden.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Totally understandable, tbh.

October is easily one of the most stressful months of the academic year. I find it even worse than finals, honestly.
    It’s like...at finals, you may have 3 or 4 exams in a row, but they’re spread out over an entire week with nothing else going on, so you can focus on them one at a time and maybe even have a little downtime if you plan well.

Midterms, on the other hand, happen when the semester is still in full swing, so you have to balance your exams with homework, lectures, labs, etc...it’s way more draining, at least to me.
    (2015 self)
    Am I the only one who thinks that Ryan Gosling looks nothing at all like Neil Armstrong.  Also, he was born in Canada, which makes his playing Neil Armstrong weird.
  • edited 2018-10-22 22:42:14
    Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Modern self, you were okay with Alec Guinness as Faisal Ibn Hussein in Lawrence of Arabia, and Canadian as American is less weird than British as I-am-not-sure-what-the-proper-word-is-but-he-would-most-likely-have-called-himself-an-Arab-though-I-hesitate-to-use-that-term-for-reasons-of-its-artificial-origin-and-political-connotations.
    That special is even wilder than I remember.
    (2015 self)
    Thought One: So that explains all the trapdoors in my childhood nightmares.

Thought Two: I think glasses-kid and I would agree that the scariest things in this sequence are the arch-like long-stepping-things, the swastika-chaser-guy and the stage-light-shooter-things.  

Thought Three:  I'm sorry I missed the stream yesterday.   Those are always good.  Darn schoolwork.
  • This looks far crazier and creepier than Pink Elephants on Parade.
    (2015 self)
    Well, my mom's work lost their last contract.

Gah.

The best metaphor I can think of, is a grand old warship, being dragged by a steamship, over rocks.  Repeatedly.

She's going to have to send out job applications and everything.

• edited 2018-10-31 03:42:05
    (2015 self)
    Random sad thoughts I need to get out of my head.

Spoiler:
    The fields going to become 45 lots, each 1/3 acre.  They're going to put in two cul-de-sacs and a couple of curving worthless unaligned roads (in addition to some proper roads.  It's not as bad as it could be).  The great green sea of alfalfa, the golden straw kingdom, the quiet open space of cultivated things, these things it's been to me.  Just beyond the edge of home, where the grass and my family's property ends, and other people's property begins.  Not mine, never mine.  I always dreamed of getting rich, buying the fields, paying someone to farm them, and keeping everything the same as it was, but it was only ever a dream.  I've known since I was ten that, eventually, it would be gone, and that I must appreciate the view while I can.  

I'm mostly sad about the crickets that live in the field.  The nights won't be the same without their orchestra, and surely there will be fewer of them when houses and roads cover the ground.

Gah, my own home was built where there was once field (then again, every building is where there once was not a building).  Everything old was once new, every beginning is an ending. It's not like we can stop building houses the generation after I'm born.

I can't neglect the living for the sake of mourning the dead.  

I mean, my grandma's been on this lane far longer than I, has seen more things end, and she doesn't despair of the future.  My mom doesn't despair of her work, she looks forward to having a job where she's not always on call, being able to go places where there isn't cell phone service. 

(2015 self)
    ^^^ Ah, I see somebody found the Ring of Animal Friendship, and wishes to give rubs and scratches.  As it should be.
  • edited 2018-11-02 18:57:59
    (2015 self)
    https://lab.nationalmedals.org/gravity/
    This is fun.
    I made this: image
  • edited 2018-11-07 04:40:37
    (2015 self)
    I think you guys  would enjoy this:

(2015 self)
    Proposition 2 passed.

I thought this would hurt more. I thought this would hurt at all. I thought I'd feel dissapointment no matter how inevitable it was, if only out of thwarted hope. But I'm okay. I'm not even upset.

I'm alright. I'm alright.
    *hug*

I know it feels like you're losing a part of your home, but this is good for the suffering people whose pain will be eased by this.
    If it makes you feel any better, I’m also disappointed with the election results in my home state
  • If it makes you feel any better, I’m also disappointed with the election results in my home state

greetings from Florida, where we managed to elect the racist, two cycles in a row
    (2015 self)
    Good to be back to my old behatted crocodile self.
  • Hello fellow reptile!
    (2015 self)
    Someday, I want to be able to clutch a bar of solid gold and scream "MINE!".

I don't necessarily have to keep it or anything (although, that would be amazing and would be worth a lot of money and that is good), I just have a good "going crazy from greed" laugh.

Also, gold is nice because you don't have to worry about breaking or denting it, because it's so malleable that it can easily be put back in the standard "brick" shape.  Also, it's heavy and that makes it feel more real.
    Now I'm reminded of the one Encyclopedia Brown story where it was "proven" that a bar of gold was fake because a child was able to lift it over their head with one hand.
  • edited 2018-11-14 02:55:31
    60 Minutes had a story about an extremely deep South African gold mine, this past Sunday.

Scientists have discovered extremophiles there.

This is a hat-based game, I thought you might find it amusing, if you don't know about it already.
    (2015 self)
    Two hours to Insight
    (2015 self)
    (2015 self)
    Curiosity and Opportunity must be so excited for their new sibling!
    (2015 self)
    Wikipedia's begging for money again.

Time to not use Wikipedia for a month again.
    (2015 self)
    George H. W. Bush has passed away.  

I was just thinking about him yesterday at the DRC.

I wonder what it says about me, and about him, that the only thing I can think from that presidency is the Americans with Disabilities Act.

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    all I could think of was Desert Storm
    all I could think of was "read my lips, no new taxes"
  • I thought of ^that, then him getting pilloried for raising taxes after "no new taxes".
    (2015 self)
    LACKADAISY UPDATE!
  • edited 2018-12-07 00:03:56
    (2015 self)
    It's that time of year again!

It's my youngest sister's birthday!

*Happiness!*
    Yay!
    (2015 self)
    I laughed.
  • edited 2018-12-08 02:21:45
    MegaMan! Jack in and stop FireMan before he burns more than just the food in the oven!
    (2015 self)
    There ought to be a word for the feeling when you go to Lackadaisy and find that Tracy has drawn a new side-comic since you last checked.
  • edited 2018-12-17 06:25:10
    (2015 self)
    My math professor, earlier this semester, gave me back a homework with a note "I don't understand what you were trying to do here.  Please see me in my office hours, and re-do this assignment." and no grade.  He did on two different occasions (a different assignment each time).  It was terrifying!

On the other hand, in his office hours he said that he wanted me to do well in the class, "and not any of the other ones, ha ha I'm kidding", and that the other assignments I'd turned in were, "some f---ing good s---".

Aaaaaaaaaaanyways, I didn't manage to get them done by the time the last final was turned in, and he emailed me to say that I could turn them in "whenever youre ready, within reason.".

And, so, I finally finished them and turned them in a couple minutes ago, and he responded about 30 seconds later with "Thnaks".