Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• edited 2019-05-05 01:54:33
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Fred is the best Rogers.

Also, I now want that orange to hatch into an orange dragon to protect the snek.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hey the video game Wandersong is cute and good and you would like it
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Peter Mayhew passed away...
    (2015 self)
    You know, I promised myself that the last time I ever dumped on Colorado would be to declare that "the road to Colorado was paved with good intentions" after Utah... yeah, did that.  Can't throw stones when I live in a glass house, you know?

And, well, luckily, this time, the people of Colorado voted against decriminalizing hallucinogenic mushrooms.  But, on the other hand, the fact that it got far enough that it had to be voted upon, proves that no matter what happens, I can STILL be disappointed.

Dang it, Rozzy.  You're supposed to be past disappointment.
    (2015 self)
    But hey, you have to take your small victories when they happen.  Things could have gone worse, and they didn't.  They went in the exact way I wanted.

Also, I just yesterday learned what it means to "dab" and it's very fun and I am enjoying it.
    Good
    (2015 self)
    Actually, I am happy about this.  I'm just unfamiliar with not being upset about that kind of events, and so I assumed it was a weird kind of sadness!

Sorry Mario, no mushrooms for you!
  • ...i am surprised that you are not annoyed at the dabbing meme.
  • edited 2019-05-09 05:48:36
    *Smokes weed*
    Bruh..
  • edited 2019-05-09 19:48:49
    (2015 self)
    TitleName said:

*Smokes weed*
    Bruh..

Please don’t smoke in my thread.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    🚭
    (2015 self)
    So, sliding puzzles.image
    The trick is to memorize all the solutions.

For example, to solve

3 8
    5 1 7
    2 4 6

You just need to do UULLDDRURDLUULDRRULL, where U represents moving a number up into the space, L represents moving a number left into the space, D represents moving a number down into the space, and R represents moving a number right into the space.

You can remember this by remembering UULL DDRU  RDLU  ULDR  RULL

Moving your pencil UP, UP, LEFT, LEFT, DOWN, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, makes a nice spiral shape.

Moving your pencil RIGHT, DOWN, LEFT, UP, UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, makes a diagonal figure eight.

Moving your pencil RIGHT, UP, LEFT, LEFT, makes a fishhook shape, or a rotated letter J.  

These shapes are memorable and visually distinct.

There.  Now you can solve the 3-by-3 sliding puzzle

3 8
    5 1 7
    2 4 6

If I ever make a video game, memorization of sequences such as this will be an important mechanic.  I mean, it wasn't that long ago that everybody was able to memorize phone numbers.
  • edited 2019-05-15 18:28:01
    (2015 self)
    And before anybody goes all, "But Aliroz, phone numbers are 7 digits long and seven choices from ten numbers is more than twenty choices from four directions", remember that you can't do an "up-ways" move if the space is on the bottom row, you can't do a "down-ways" move if the space is on the top row,  you can't do a "left-ways" move if the space is on the rightmost column, and you can't do a "right-ways" move if the space is on the leftmost column.  Also, you can't do "right-ways" if you just did "left-ways" or vice versa, and the same for up and down.

This means that the number of distinct possible states after n moves is, in fact, 2^n (which should satisfy Central Avenue), assuming the space starts in a corner, with no set "previous move".

Excepting, of course, the forbidden sequence URDLURDLURDLURDL, which does nothing, and any other equivalent sequences.

2^20 is less than 10^7,
    (2015 self)
    This is why I am not allowed to make video games.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    If you move the space into the center there are three possibilities, not two, for a next move that can live in an optimal solution.
  • edited 2019-05-17 02:52:04
    (2015 self)
    Yes, but if you count the total states that can be created in n moves, it's always a power of two (except if you start with the space in the middle of an edge, in which case the first move has three possibilities, two of which lead to one possibility each and the other one leads to two possibilities (for 6), and it doubles each time.
    (2015 self)
    Anyways, I looked at the time and it was yalp o'clock.

Dear Utah/Society/U.S.A/my-parents/my-siblings.

I know you legalized marijuana to save people who were suffering,  especially kids.  I understand that.  Compared to the one person upset, that's a bargain anybody would take in a heartbeat.   I'm sure those people will love you, and I hope that that's consolation.
    (2015 self)
    Dear Utah/Society/U.S.A./My-Parents/My-Siblings:

As much land as (reasonably) possible must be preserved.  It doesn't all have to be spectacular, scenic, or even noteworthy.  Not everything has to be important to be worthwhile.  God loves us all, even though, as far as people go, I'm no Zion National Park.

We must have room in our hearts for the ordinary, the everyday, the common, as well as for the remarkable.
  • edited 2019-05-17 04:58:33
    Aliroz said:

We must have room in our hearts for the ordinary, the everyday, the common, as well as for the remarkable.

Totally agreed.
    (2015 self)
    I have been enjoying the first hundred pages of Freefall. Reminds me of Schlock Mercenary. Hope it stays good and doesn’t end early or go stupid later.
  • edited 2019-05-20 21:11:19
    (2015 self)
    www.youtube.com/eYyWyHrGn_k

Posting this so I can find it again.
    (2015 self)
    Alternate Universe Alirozes:

Ali "Roz" Pinkerton, the Union Crusher.

Madame Rozzy, creepy voodoo lady.

Aliboz, incompetent screwup prince of Rozburb.
    Lol
  • edited 2019-05-26 01:03:22
    (2015 self)
    Ugh, my sister is watching Arrested Development.

I dislike comedies (or at least 95% of comedies).

Also, the new Shovel Knight expansion was delayed (it was supposed to be out a month ago, and is now several months from being out), the university I go to is conducting cannabis research (If I'd graduated before last semester, this wouldn't be a problem), and I have to take a shower.

Why are none of my problems actually things that would bother other people (excepting the first, but that one's not that bad, I can wait)?
  • Aliroz said:

I dislike comedies (or at least 95% of comedies).

Same here.

I sometimes get a feeling that, especially for comedies that involve making fun of people, one needs a certain degree of cynicism (not necessarily being a cynic outright, but just some cynicism) to enjoy it.  Otherwise one feels bad laughing at the people.

Be happy that you are "pure" I guess.
  • edited 2019-05-28 02:10:58
    (2015 self)
    Star Wars:  Oh HEy wE arE hAViNG  a new different other TRILOGY by the guys who do Game of Thrones wOuLD yOU HAte ME iF It wAS tERribLE.

Me:

(2015 self)
    Grab yourself before you crab yourself.
  • edited 2019-06-04 23:38:27
    (2015 self)
    Fun fact:  All of Stanley Kubrick's movies except for 2001: A Space Odyssey are movies that I don't want to watch and think are overrated garbage.
    (2015 self)
    Oh, also Spartacus.  I forgot Spartacus.  I'd watch that one.
  • edited 2019-06-05 18:49:01
    (2015 self)
    I probably shouldn't make up backstories to the monkeys I sacrifice to the Temple of the Monkey God in Bloons Tower Defense 5, but I do.

The original Glue Gunner was the younger brother of the Sniper.  They married the Ice Monkey and the Apprentice, respectively.  

The additional Glue Gunners, Ice Monkeys, and Apprentices from later are the children of the originals. 

The monkeys who operate the Mortar Towers are zealots.  They knew that they would be sacrificed, and considered it an honor.

I remember Bloons Tower Defense! I used to play that instead of doing schoolwork!

Also Plants Vs Zombies is also a good tower defense game, if you want to check one out
  • edited 2019-06-05 19:09:32
    (2015 self)
    The village was made up of Ice Monkeys, specifically the tribe from which the Glue Gunner's wife comes.  None of them knew what was coming.

As for those outside the sacrifice radius, the original Dart monkey that I got rid of by mistake was a catapult launcher in his younger years (BTD3). His nickname is "Pops". 

Pops was the Robo-monkey's dad, back when it was a he, back when it was a super monkey.  Poor guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time, knew a little too much, and was robo-tized to prevent him warning the people he'd sworn to protect.

(2015 self)

Odradek said:

I remember Bloons Tower Defense! I used to play that instead of doing schoolwork!

Also Plants Vs Zombies is also a good tower defense game, if you want to check one out
    My family had Plants vs Zombies on CD. We donated it to a thrift store because it was too addicting. My siblings and I once stayed up 'till 11:30 watching Mom fight Dr. Zomboss.

(2015 self)
    (2015 self)
    Hamlet:  Wait a minute, my real father wouldn't want me to kill his brother!

Ghost:  Crap.

Hamlet:  Ohmigosh witchcraft!  Illusion!  Trickery!

Witches:  Dratdratdrat.  Let's go to Scotland, maybe it'll work there.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You have a great sense of humor, Aliroz.
    (2015 self)

ETAOINSHRDLU

A
           AT, ATE, TEA, EAT
           TO, OAT, TOE, TOO, TOOT
           IT, TIE, I
           IN, ON, AN, NO, ONE, NOTE, NEON, NANA, TAN, TON, TIN, TINE, NOT, NET, ANT, NIT, ATTENTION, TENT, ATTAIN, INTENT, INTENTION, INITIATE, INITIATION,
           EON, NET, NATION, TONE, NONE, TAINT, TINT, INNATE, ANNOTATE, ANNOTATION, NOTATION, ATONE, NEAT, NINE, INN, INANE, INATTENTION, NINETEEN, NITRATE,
           TEN, INTO, NOTION, NOON, TITAN, ENTENTE, EATEN,

AS, IS, SO, SEA, SEE, SIN, SON, SET, SIT, EAST, SEAT, TASTE, STATE, STATION, SANE, INSANE, SANITATION, SENSATION, ESTATE, INSENSATE, SAINT, STAIN,
           TEASE, OASES, OASIS, STINT, SOOT, SOON, SEEN, EASE, NOISE, NOSE, NOOSE, ONSET, SENT, ASSENT, ASSET, TOAST, STONE, TEST, ASSIST, ASSISTANT, INSIST,
           INSISTENT, INSET, TOSS, ASSASSIN, ASSASSINATE, ASSASSINATION, NEST, INSTANT, INSTATE, SASS,

OH, HA, HI, EH, THE, THEN, THAN, HAT, THIS, THAT, THOSE, THESE, HOSE, THIN, HIT, HOST, HONE, HONEST, SEETHE, SOOTHE, HEAT, HATE, HASTE, HASTEN,
           AH, HAS, HE, HIS, HEN, HOT, HOOT, SHOT, SHOOT, SHONE, SHINE, SHIN, HASH, ASH, SASH, ASHEN, SHEEN, HINT, HISS, TEETHE, TEETH, TOOTH, TITHE, SHEET,
           THANE, HATH, HAST, THEE, THINE, HOSTESS, THINNEST, HOTTEST, SHINIEST, HASTIEST, HENNA, HON, HIE,

ARE, ERA, RAT, TAR, RATE, TEAR, ROTE, TORE, NOR, OR, ERR, ERROR, SORE, SEAR, RAISE, ROSE, SOAR, THERE, HERE, REST, STERN, STAR, ARTIST, ARTISAN, SENATOR,
           RESIST, RESISTANT, NEAR, RAIN, RAN, TIRE, RITE, RETIRE, SIRE, SIR, RISE, RARE, HARE, HEART, HART, EARTH, TETHER, EITHER, ETHER, OTHER, ANOTHER, ERRANT,
           TRAITOR, SORT, ASSORT, SHORE, SHARE, RASH, RATION, RESTRAINT, STRAIN, TRAIN, STRESS, NEITHER, HITHER, HEIRESS, RETAIN, TRAIT, RANT, RENT, ROTTEN, STORE

DAD, ADD, HAD, DID, ODE, ODOR, DOTE, DODDER, DEED, REED, RID, HID, HIDE, RID, RIDE, DISTANCE, DISTANT, DERIDE, SHADE, DENTIST, READ, DEAR, RAID, DRAIN
           AND, DONATION, DESIST, SEED, SOD, SAD, ODD, SAID, TROD, DOOR, ROAD, RED, DITHER, DETAIN, DEAD, ADDER, DREAD, DIRE, ORDER, ARDOR, DEN, DIN, DINE, DANDER,
           INDENTATION, DOSE, SODA, DO, SIDE, INSIDE, RESIDE, RESIDENT, INDOOR, RODEO, DATA, DONE, HEED, HARD, HOARD, ANTEDATE, DON, NOD, ANDROID, DONOR, REDDEN,
           DETERRENT, END, INERTIA,

LEND, LAND, LANTERN, LINT, LISTEN, LIST, LAST, LOST, LOSE, LEASE, LEAST, ALSO, ALL, LOT, TOTAL, ALTO, LORE, RELIANT, ILLITERATE, LID, LIE, LAID, LOAD, DOLE,
           DEAL, LEAD, ADDLE, SADDLE, SETTLE, ASSAILANT, LOAN, LONE, LATE, RELATION, SILT, ILL, ISLE, SILO, OIL, TOIL, SOIL, TRIAL, TAIL, TALE, RAIL, SALE, SAIL, LASER,
           SLOT, TILE, TOLL, SLIT, STILTED, STILT, INSTILL, SALT, DELINEATION, LINE, REAL, SNAIL, LANE, SLIDE, THRILL, SHRILL, SHILL, HALL, HELLO, LEARN, HEAL, ALTERNATE,
           EARL, DALE, TILT, HILL, TILL, ATOLL,

UNTO, TAUNT, TUNA, AUNT, HAUNT, SUN, RUSE, SURE, SOUR, TOUR, ROUTE, HOUSE, HOUR, TUNE, RUNE, DUNE, HUT, THUS, SHUT, UNDERNEATH, SUNDER, THUNDER, ENDURE,
           ENDURANCE, DURATION, DOUR, RUDE, DUN, RUINATION, RUE, USE, DUDE, DUE, SUE, TRUST, THRUSTER, RUST, SITUATION, RUNT, TRUE, TRUTH, STUNTED, STUN, SNOUT, TROUT,
           TURN, RUT, ROUT, STRUT, RETURN, SUITOR, SUIT, TISSUE, ISSUE, ENSURE, INSURE, UNDAUNTED, HOUNDS, HUNT, ROUND, RUNNERS, ROUSED, RUSH, RUSSIAN, NUTRITION,
           DENUDE, UH, HUNDRED, THOUSAND, SOUND, LURE, RULE, LUTE, LUSTER, REEL, LEER 

SOIL NATURED H
           EARTH SOIL DUN
           ETAOI NSHR DLU

HONOR
           ORATION
           ENTERTAIN
           ORDINATION

ETAOINSHRDLU
  • edited 2019-06-20 23:30:46
    (2015 self)
    The above is taken from a couple of pages of a notebook from years ago when I was bored in Church and made up word games for myself to play.  

I'm pretty sure if you type all that on an old enough Typewriter, it'll summon an old-Timey newspaper editor or typesetter or something.
    (2015 self)
    Dear Heapers,

I hate to tell you this, but no incumbent United States president has lost re-election in my lifetime.  Furthermore, it is abundantly clear that by the time of voting, the vast majority of the voters have had their decision made for years (Most people vote based on an issue or issues they care deeply about, and not based on the actual people running.  Campaigning is thus pointless except as a way to convey stances on issues, and even those stances are very much determined on party lines).   Nothing any of us can do will change who wins in the 2020 election.

I just don't want to see you guys get your hopes up and then be sad, disappointed, and hurt when Donald Trump wins re-election.  I don't want to go through 2016 again, and I think it will be easier on all of us if we're prepared.

Sincerely,

Aliroz's Pessimism.
    (2015 self)
    Dear Self,

The U.S. presidential elections during our lifetime is too small a small sample size.  That dataset is simply insufficient to support any real predictive power beyond coin-tossing.  If campaigning were truly pointless, they wouldn't spend so much money on it.  People voting based on issues is a feature, not a bug, of democracy.

Based on previous predictions made by this self, it is unreasonable to assume that this self is good at predictions.  An error-prone brain such as ours is more given to anxiety-based speculation than sober insight into the future.

Sincerely,

Aliroz's Optimism, and Aliroz's amateur stats-nerdiness.
  • edited 2019-07-01 20:25:29
    > by the time of voting, the vast majority of the voters have had their
    decision made for years (Most people vote based on an issue or issues
    they care deeply about, and not based on the actual people running. 
    Campaigning is thus pointless except as a way to convey stances on
    issues, and even those stances are very much determined on party lines).

Campaigning is actually more so a way to raise supporter enthusiasm for turnout, and to get occasional/unreliable voters to support a candidate, and secondarily, it's a way to destabilize the support that an opposing candidate has.

Also, many people vote for candidates based on the ideas the candidates represent to them, and/or the feelings that the candidates make them feel.  So in a way, they are voting "based on the people running", but indirectly.

As for political stances being decided by party lines, there is something to be said there, though we are actually in the midst of a realignment so it's also clear that party loyalties can in fact change.

> I hate to tell you this, but no incumbent United States president has lost re-election in my lifetime.
    has for me lol
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Oooooh, current me is talking to itself, how cute and not-insufferable!
    (2015 self)

Campaigning is actually more so a way to raise supporter enthusiasm for turnout, and to get occasional/unreliable voters to support a candidate, and secondarily, it's a way to destabilize the support that an opposing candidate has.

Also, many people vote for candidates based on the ideas the candidates represent to them, and/or the feelings that the candidates make them feel.  So in a way, they are voting "based on the people running", but indirectly.

As for political stances being decided by party lines, there is something to be said there, though we are actually in the midst of a realignment so it's also clear that party loyalties can in fact change.

So, what you're saying is, campaigning changes whether people vote or not in the first place, more than it changes which way said people vote? 

has for me lol

Yeah, the whole "never happened in my lifetime" thing will be a lot more powerful when I'm 123 years old.

I honestly would kind of prefer 8-year terms and no re-election, and perhaps a republican-democrat-republican-democrat automatic pattern, to all the drama and consternation (honestly, I just want it to be over once the final candidates are chosen).  But, then again, I like patterns, and like making things easy for future history students.
  • Aliroz said:

So, what you're saying is, campaigning changes whether people vote or not in the first place, more than it changes which way said people vote? 
    In a primary election it's actually more like what you're saying, campaigning influences who people'll vote for.

In the general election, where the two major parties go head-to-head, campaigning is actually more about driving up turnout for one's side, than persuasion.

At least, these are very rough summaries.  Things are actually a lot more complicated than this, but I'd say on average that probably applies.
  • edited 2019-07-01 23:46:46
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aliroz said:

I hate to tell you this, but no incumbent United States president has lost re-election in my lifetime. 

I read this and I was like, "No, wait, that's totally happened!"

And then I realized that I was thinking of my lifetime, not your lifetime, and I am, in fact, a couple years older than you.

That said, maybe if we party like it's 1992, we'll have a better chance of getting Trump out of office?

On Election Day, once we're done casting our votes (which most of us will probably have done days, if not weeks ahead of time anyways) we'll sit around blasting early '90s pop music, wearing obnoxiously bright colors, etc. Maybe watch some Disney Renaissance movies if the media coverage gets to be too much for us?
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

I hate to tell you this, but no incumbent United States president has lost re-election in my lifetime. 

I read this and I was like, "No, wait, that's totally happened!"

And then I realized that I was thinking of my lifetime, not your lifetime, and I am, in fact, a couple years older than you.

That said, maybe if we party like it's 1992, we'll have a better chance of getting Trump out of office?

On Election Day, once we're done casting our votes (which most of us will probably have done days, if not weeks ahead of time anyways) we'll sit around blasting early '90s pop music, wearing obnoxiously bright colors, etc. Maybe watch some Disney Renaissance movies if the media coverage gets to be too much for us?
    Sounds good.
  • edited 2019-07-03 20:38:52
    y'know

i finally realized that "smaragdine" is a thing

i can't believe it took me this long

but it is a very good pun, and as a person who likes limnology, i approve
    (2015 self)
    Amnyways, things that are unpleasant, but shouldn't be:

1: When a problem isn't solved, but people treat it as though it were because they're sick of hearing about it, and it doesn't bother them because they've made peace with the way things are, and you both envy and resent them for not caring as much as you do.

2: When you have a hill that you want to die on, but you don't want to die alone, but nobody wants to die on the hill with you.

3: The fact that I can't arrest-then-declare-guilty-and-sentence-to-five-years-hard-labor myself for breaking the laws that should exist outside my head but don't.