General Video Game Thread

Comments

• nintendo has pokemon

so i will probably end up buying all of their handhelds

just to play pokemon

also the odd other game or two
  • lee4hmz said:

Mojave: yeah. It's become pretty obvious that the original Wii and the DS were flukes,

How so? They basically created the trend that led to smartphone games becoming popular.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Well, I mean for Nintendo itself, not for the industry as a whole. Now that everyone's doing it, it's not going to work twice. That said, the Wii U and the 3DS aren't bad, they're just not selling well, which is more due to people thinking "How much different is this from the 6-year-old Wii I already have?" (more games that use its unique features and actually marketing them would help; also, the Wii had a lot of shovelware which may not be heling this time around) and "I already have a smartphone".
  • lee4hmz said:

Well, I mean for Nintendo itself, not for the industry as a whole.

I wouldn't necessarily call them flukes, though. There's no way Nintendo didn't know how successful those systems would be. 
    Yeah, maybe that was a bit harsh.
  • Also, if what these guys say is true, Nintendo will probably be relevant for longer than Microsoft and Sony because they actually make games.
  • edited 2013-05-07 21:14:05
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    That said, the Wii U and the 3DS aren't bad, they're just not selling well
    The Wii U maybe, but the 3DS is outselling the DS in the comparative timespan.
  • Unrelated, but I kinda want to trade my original-model DS for a 3DS. Maybe around next Christmas...
  • so, impressions of OFF! so far (I've just cleared the Postal Service).

It reminds me a lot of Middens, both in presentation and style. Much like Middens I feel that the story and aesthetic absolutely outclasses the gameplay in nearly every respect (the gameplay is really little more than reskinned JRPG genericness, Middens had this flaw too), and I wouldn't be too shocked if the games ended up having similar morals too. I cannot imagine The Judge remains your ally throughout the entire game.

All in all, it's pretty weird and I'm not sure where it's trying to go yet. I'll stick with it (though the random encounters are very tedious) for a while longer at least. The plot's keeping me interested for the time being.

• yeah it's one of those things where you have to get to the very end to get the point of the game
  • Naney said:

yeah it's one of those things where you have to get to the very end to get the point of the game

I assumed as much.
    Yarrun said:

I still have Middens somewhere in my game folders. I should pop it out one of these days.

if you liked OFF, you'll probably like Middens.

Though Middens is, if anything, more obtuse.

• Purified the first zone

that was weird.

going back afterward proved even weirder.

• after some further play, I do not think I will be finishing OFF personally. I might look up a good Lets Play, but the tedium of the actual mechanics just wears on me after awhile, and the puzzles aren't terrific either imo.

in unrelated news, I won an alpha key for Vox today. Had to install Desura to play it, but I think it'll be worth it.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Beat Crimson Shroud. It's a good game, if with a few flaws *cough*ObsidianDaphne*cought*. Surprisingly short though. Didn't think I'd beat it in 5:30. Granted, there's NG+, but I'll leave it a couple of days before plunging into that. Also, the final boss was disappointingly easy, considering the boss fight right before it.
  • Beat Crimson Shroud. It's a good game, if with a few flaws *cough*ObsidianDaphne*cought*. Surprisingly short though. Didn't think I'd beat it in 5:30. Granted, there's NG+, but I'll leave it a couple of days before plunging into that. Also, the final boss was disappointingly easy, considering the boss fight right before it.

I dunno, I really liked the final boss. It required use of all the skills you'd learned over the course of the game. I was pretty astounded at how little damage the characters did against her. The first time I fought her, I was under the impression that it would be one of those boss fights where you learn some secret halfway through and it becomes easier.
  • What'd you think of the game's writing? I was blown away by how immersive it was, especially considering the characters are static figurines.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Ah man, I've been meaning to get Crimson Shroud

it looks like a goodun
  • Ah man, I've been meaning to get Crimson Shroud

it looks like a goodun
    do it

buy 999 first tho
  • edited 2013-05-11 22:36:56
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Kexruct said:

I dunno, I really liked the final boss. It required use of all the skills you'd learned over the course of the game. I was pretty astounded at how little damage the characters did against her. The first time I fought her, I was under the impression that it would be one of those boss fights where you learn some secret halfway through and it becomes easier.

I just threw up  a cast of Magic Paling, two casts of Magic Paling II, Sundered and Befuddled her, and then went to town. She couldn't do nearly enough damage to deal with Frea spamming Mass Heal before she died, so.
    Kexruct said:

What'd you think of the game's writing? I was blown away by how immersive it was, especially considering the characters are static figurines.

It reminds me of Vagrant Story, really. Which makes sense, since it's Matsuno who was behind it.
  • Kexruct said:

I just threw up  a cast of Magic Paling, two casts of Magic Paling II, Sundered and Befuddled her, and then went to town. She couldn't do nearly enough damage to deal with Frea spamming Mass before she died, so.
    She was, to use the TvTropes term, a Final Exam Boss. Most JRPGs have you mainly using damaging techniques, with the status moves having very limited utility. Crimson Shroud was quite refreshing in that almost all of the skills are useful.

Also that worldbuilding, man.
  • If I could describe the game's story and world building in one word, it would be "delicious."

And if you play the game, you'll understand. 
    Most JRPGs have you mainly using damaging techniques, with the status moves having very limited utility.
    I'd actually argue that. Whilst it might ring true for status effects, debuffs and buffs make all three of the Big Three turn based JRPG series much easier to deal with. Less so for Final Fantasy, I guess, but Shell and Protect are still major life savers, and in Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei, they're all but required.
    Final Fantasy has always had pretty good buff spells.

And Final Fantasy 5, at least, had bosses where certain debuffs/status effects worked quite swimmingly. Sometimes in the form of Berserk status against caster bosses.
  • Most JRPGs have you mainly using damaging techniques, with the status moves having very limited utility.
    I'd actually argue that. Whilst it might ring true for status effects, debuffs and buffs make all three of the Big Three turn based JRPG series much easier to deal with. Less so for Final Fantasy, I guess, but Shell and Protect are still major life savers, and in Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei, they're all but required.
    SMT is a pretty niche title even for a JRPG, though. Most casual fans would only have encountered Final Fantasy and a maybe a few other miscellaneous games. Dunno about Dragon Quest, though, but in my experience, I've known more people who played Persona than any game in the DQ series.
    Dragon Quest is the most popular JRPG series in Japan, and SMT is a major force as well.
  • I'm not talking about Japan. In hindsight, I probably should've mentioned that earlier. But yeah, I know that those two are a lot more popular there.
    Oh, and also, remember, status effects are almost always effective in tactical RPGs

as it turns out, when you don't have battles every 5 seconds and your battles tend to be against 6-10 moderately powerful enemies, status effects aren't too powerful if you let them hit people easily
  • Kexruct said:

I'm not talking about Japan. In hindsight, I probably should've mentioned that earlier. But yeah, I know that those two are a lot more popular there.

that's kinda odd considering the genre being discussed is JRPGs.
    Honestly, I can't actually name a JRPG where status effects are a bad idea.
  • Kexruct said:

I'm not talking about Japan. In hindsight, I probably should've mentioned that earlier. But yeah, I know that those two are a lot more popular there.

say that to my face not online see what happens
  • Honestly, I can't actually name a JRPG where status effects are a bad idea.

Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

• Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

u wanna go

ill rek u

Never trust a species that grins all the time. It's up to something.
    -Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
    Man, there needs to be an RPG with a race of sentient dolphin people
  • Man, there needs to be an RPG with a race of sentient dolphin people

>implying there isn't

>implying there isn't more than one

you don't fucking hold out on me dude you tell me right now

and ecco the dolphin doesn't fucking count
  • Dolphin-men are a concept in the fictional universe that I build in my spare time.

They're essentially a race of dangerous, hedonistic jerks who have no concept of non-filial empathy. They're also very intelligent, which makes them very difficult to stop. They terrorize ports and kidnap women and are generally terrible.

oh well fuck you too then

Ecco hater.

Dude ecco is awesome but it isn't an RPG
  • oh well fuck you too then

Ecco hater.

Dude ecco is awesome but it isn't an RPG

u wanna go

ill fight u rite now

back tha fuqq up 4 u get smakd tha fuqq up

• u haven a giggl there m8
  • thems fahten words

lessgo ill throw down rite here riht now
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^^this gif is going in my collection
    Heh, Kid Velma doing That Dance from A Charlie Brown Christmas. :D

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was such a great show.
  • so, sorta the story of the hour in LPing land, Nintendo's apparently started hitting people who LP Nintendo games with takedown notices. Currently affected games go at least as far back as the Gamecube days.
  • so, sorta the story of the hour in LPing land, Nintendo's apparently started hitting people who LP Nintendo games with takedown notices. Currently affected games go at least as far back as the Gamecube days.

augggh don't pull a shining force 3 i beg of you nintendo
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Nintendo, why you always have to fuck things up for yourself