General Video Game Thread

Comments

• He was a little self centered and when he got into arguments he always took a patronizing standpoint while offering arguments that weren't actually effective at all.

Not like he's a bad guy or anything, just his antics can be a little hard to bear sometimes.

No, I meant how did he keep you guys informed?
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Being a game journalist and all, he had a tendency to post articles about new games or updates to games or stuff like that.

Fairly nice.
  • MechWarrior: Online is rather buggy right now.
  • Now that I really think about it, Jarlsberg is the best thing that's ever happened to KoL. It's a special path that lets you level up faster, and the extra karma is more than enough to add two skills to the non-hardcore permanent bank.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Whoa, Bioshock Infinite was shorter than I expected or maybe I played the game fast.
  • edited 2013-04-07 14:04:05
    On the one hand, I really want to love Morrowind for its creative story and because it has the best world of any TES game by a wide margin, but on the other hand it's near unplayable these days.
    YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS

IT'S ROLLER COASTER TYCOON TIME
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Oh boy! Another fun and exciting game of how many safety regulations can we break at once!
    Hey! The only deaths at my theme parks are the unfortunate accidental deaths of the health and safety inspectors!
  • there was this thread on /v/ where this dude made a roller coaster that took 70 minutes real time
    Incidentally, "Mr. Bones Wild Ride" is the reason that I started playing RCT again
  • edited 2013-04-15 19:25:07
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    3 eXXXtreme 4ever 6pack

You find yourself at the highest point on the eXtreme slope with no memory of how you got there. The only thing in your mind is an overpowering desire to do sick snowboard tricks.

You begin your descent with a Bloody Dracula-style Roast Wrench followed by a Frontside Rhythm Method Instinct and by the time you're finished with your Beachside Beef Ho-Wrench you're snowboarding faster than you've ever snowboarded before.

You round a bend and see the legendary Sickpipe Ramp, the steepest ramp on the Slope. "Screw it," you say, as you go for it. You take flight...

Colombia-style Rocket

Quadruple 360° Air-to-Tailspin Tandy

Tindy-style Jib to Stroganoff-style Busted Rhombus

Instinct Roast Ninety with Inverse-Flip Bali A B C D E

Method-style Nail plus Quadruple 180° Lobot

Three-Legged Quadruple Fakie-Grind-Flip Haakon Nail

The red glow surrounding you hits what you assume is its maximum intensity as the voice from above, laden with reverb, booms "UL-UL-UL-ULTRA SICK COMBO! EX-EX-EX-EX-TREME-TREME-TREME-TREME! TREME!"

Man, whenever this happens I can't NOT post it
    Adventure Results:
    3 eXXXtreme 4ever 6pack

You find yourself at the highest point on the eXtreme slope with no memory of how you got there. The only thing in your mind is an overpowering desire to do sick snowboard tricks.

You begin your descent with a Rocket-style Kamchatka followed by a Sideways Duck Wrestle and by the time you're finished with your Pickle Rusty Trombone Porkchop you're snowboarding faster than you've ever snowboarded before.

You round a bend and see the legendary Sickpipe Ramp, the steepest ramp on the Slope. "Screw it," you say, as you go for it. You take flight...

Chicken-style Porkchop

420° Killer

Entire Alphabet-style Entire Alphabet with Differentway A B C

Poke Stinky-Flip Bali Seatbelt

69° 180° Sadness Charlie

Three-Handed 720°-Grind Melon Rocket

The red glow surrounding you hits what you assume is its maximum intensity as the voice from above, laden with reverb, booms "UL-UL-UL-ULTRA SICK COMBO! EX-EX-EX-EX-TREME-TREME-TREME-TREME! TREME!"

• i head about that

but like daaaaayum
  • ~Starts eating the Irony~
  • I'm just surprised people are pirating Game Dev Tycoon of all things.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    That's like where you want to stick it to the man, but have low self esteem. 
  • I think that humiliation is a much more effective way of preventing piracy than DRM.

That said, looking at the statistics for how many people bought the game versus how many took the cracked version makes me really angry.
  • Which reminds me: I believe the Nazis in the 2009 Wolfenstein will actually sometimes say "Zhat makes me angry!"
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Honestly, it feels a lot like a marketing stunt, at least to some degree. A lot more people are going to hear about it this way than otherwise would.
  • True. The only things I know about Game Dev Tycoon are 1. this, and 2. that it's a near-direct clone of an iOS game that came out a year or two ago.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

The company sold only 3.45 million of the Wii U video game consoles during the first quarter, badly missing its own target of 4 million. The hand-held 3DS gaming device has also been a disappointment outside of Japan.

• Likely because I just recently read about it (again), but I'm reminded of the whole "Phil Fish hates Japanese games" thing.

Honestly Nintendo's been dying slowly for awhile. Even if I do like the 3DS (and I do) their current business model, if it can even be called that, is just unsustainable. Someone's going to chomp them up eventually if they don't do another major switchup.

• CEO Satoru Iwata last week announced his support for in-game transactions and subscription-based payment models.
    Noooooooo
  • so somebody's making a game that's essentially "Dwarf Fortress but with a GUI and gnomes instead of Dwarves". I will not be particularly surprised if it's rather successful on the "having a GUI" aspect alone.
  • oh, also, a game called Sturmwind came out about a week ago. 

for the Sega Dreamcast.

Doesn't surprise me

Especially when stuff like this exists
  • yeah but Sturmwind is a commercial release. Granted, you have to special order the disc (for 35-odd Euros), but it's still being sold and published, as opposed to simply homebrewed.

Hm. Interesting.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Yarrun said:

CEO Satoru Iwata last week announced his support for in-game transactions and subscription-based payment models.
    Noooooooo
    I can certainly understand your skepticism of subscription-based payment, but they've had paid DLC for a while now. That is, if I have my definition of "in-game transactions" correct. And honestly, I don't have too much of a problem with that.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Mojave: yeah. It's become pretty obvious that the original Wii and the DS were flukes, products that happened to be in the right place at the right time (Wii Sports and Sony's 2006 E3 debacle certainly helped with the Wii). People aren't going to buy user-interface gimmicks in a world where everyone either has tricked-out FPS rigs, or plays games on a smartphone.
  • "in-game transactions" generally means microtransactions specifically, which generally leads to an MMO sort of situation where you end up having to pay further to stand any reasonable chance of winning.
  • edited 2013-05-07 18:24:15
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I see. If it actually affects normal gameplay, then that's a problem. They should just keep it to cool but unnecessary bonus content.
  • edited 2013-05-07 18:24:34
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Mircotransactions can definitely be done right, but they need to be done with the understanding that they are optional.
  • apparently there's another Dreamcast shmup coming out this year called Ghost Blade.

Mircotransactions can definitely be done right, but they need to be done with the understanding that they are optional.

Path of Exile has managed to thrive on its model of "having a donation button and also you can give your character a glowy aura for like $2".
    Yeah, there are plenty of examples of games that do it right.

And it's not the best model, but I'm okay with models along the lines of Lord of the Rings Online where it's like "alright, content costs premium currency, but you can also earn this currency just by playing" so it ends up where you can slowly unlock all the content in the game if you so choose.
    ^As am I, at least from an inexperienced perspective.

Also, Mojave and Lee's comments on Nintendo's downturn kinda worry me. I do like a lot of their games, and it would be a shame to see them fail. Hopefully, this will be more like a GameCube/GBA phase for them, but then again, I don't have the knowledge to make any conclusions here.
    I'll be honest, I still just really think that people don't take advantage of the perks of Nintendo's systems; there's a lot of value to be had in control systems like the Wii U.

I mean, the Wii U allows for some interesting information asymmetry in games. It allows for 4 people to be on one team and 1 person on the other; the 1 person has access to information on both their touchpad and the main screen, whereas the 4 player team only has the main screen. Hell, Nintendo's already highlighted a shitton of uses for their unique control scheme in Nintendo Land.
  • edited 2013-05-07 18:39:24
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Good point. Now that I think about it, I can't help but hypothesize that this could turn out better than the Wii's motion controls. Which as we can see from the existence of Motion+, took some refining.
  • the problem with Nintendo is that they're peripheral-happy, and that none of their peripherals are easy to make games for.

I can name three decent games that made use of the Wii Zapper. One came with the damn thing (that Zelda rail shooter), another was Sin & Punishment, and the third was the flawed but undersold Conduit (don't talk to me about the sequel), just as an example.

• edited 2013-05-07 19:05:38
    I see what you mean. Making lots of peripherals and updated versions of your consoles will cut into your budget quite a bit.

Though I'm trying to think of other such peripherals and updates they've used. There's Motion+, the Wii Fit balance board, the DSi, the DSi XL, the 3DS XL... and I'm stumped from here.
  • edited 2013-05-07 19:39:03
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    While Nintendo's proliferation of peripherals is pretty silly, at least it's not as badly mismanaged as, well, pretty much anything Sega tried to do between the Genesis and the Dreamcast. The Sega CD and the Sega 32X were entire consoles to themselves that just used the Genesis as a front-end processor, and it seems like the engineers there weren't talking to each other at all (much like Apple before Jobs came back).
  • While Nintendo's proliferation of peripherals is pretty silly, at least it's not as badly mismanaged as, well, pretty much anything Sega tried to do between the Genesis and the Dreamcast. 
    Or Microsoft and Sony, for that matter.

Also, trust me when I say you have no idea what the Wii U is like until you're playing it. Nintendo Land's multiplayer is phenomenal. While it is disappointing that no developers seem to have faith in the console, there is a lot of potential and it is far from a gimmick.