General Video Game Thread

Comments

• off the top of my head, Northernlion, NerdCubed, FullGrownGaming, and a couple other people are pulling all Nintendo content from their channels.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    This spells bad news for the Runaway Guys.

This turn of events saddens me.
  • Nintendo has officially stated that they're going to be financializing any existing Nintendo content on Youtube.

Meaning there'll be ads and the like, and the Youtubers themselves will not be making any money off of LPs, reviews, Quicklooks, etc.

• edited 2013-05-15 21:07:35
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Honestly, that first bit doesn't annoy me so much. It's not like there's not already a ton of ads on LPers' videos anyway. If I'm going to watch one, it's better that it's for a Nintendo game than a random, possibly unpleasant to watch ad for something I wouldn't have wanted anyway.

And I'm a little confused at the second one. LPers can't make any money off their videos anyway, as far as I know. Donations from fans don't count.
  • Uh, yes they can.

Do you know how Youtube monetization works?

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I completely forgot about that. Derp.

In that case, that's concerning. Nintendo should at least pay them for the ad hosting.
  • *sigh*

I really hope this is just, like, the corporate division of Nintendo or something.
  • No, they released an official statement. It's the entire company, and it's very much intentional.

They set up a Youtube partnership and everything.

• Nope, it's orders from on high, from Mario himself.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    That dastardly plumber
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Beat Etrian Odyssey. It's not as hard as everyone claims, although there are a couple of tricky parts (Fenrir, B20F, anything with Petaloids/Muskoids ever). Gearing up to take on the postgame now.
  • So my question is, then, Why does Xbox One hate America?

I am dead.

• Never thought I'd see the day someone leveraged American servicemen in a petty argument about online connectivity for a fucking video game console.
  • Naney said:

Never thought I'd see the day someone leveraged American servicemen in a petty argument about online connectivity for a fucking video game console.

The article is a joke.

At least, that's what I assumed.

• Naney said:

Never thought I'd see the day someone leveraged American servicemen in a petty argument about online connectivity for a fucking video game console.

The article is a joke.

Dude the folks at kotaku are too stupid to make something like this as a joke.
  • Naney said: Mojave Music said: Naney said:Never thought I'd see the day someone leveraged American servicemen in a petty argument about online connectivity for a fucking video game console.

The article is a joke.

Have you
    read the article?
  • My only interaction with Kotaku was a writer for them showing up on a livestream I watched once, and he seemed like a fairly reasonable guy.

What's wrong with Kotaku that would make you think this is a serious proposition, as opposed to a piece of satire?

• Naney said:

Naney said:

The article is a joke.

Have you read the article?

How the fuck could i quote somebody in the comments without scrolling all the way through and reading the article
  • well i guess i could have scrolled through and not read it, but unfortunately i did in fact read that
  • Unrelated: Minecraft's difficulty curve is all kinds of stupid.
  • because I am proud of it for no good reason, you can see me winning a video game (they say my name and everything /fiveyearsold) at around 2:02:25 here.

• Why is Donte/New Dante a shitty hero, anyways?

He's terribly written and reeks of edgyness/teenage boy fantasies, yeah. But how is he a bad hero? His actions all in all seem pretty OK by hero standards.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I haven't played any of the new one. Or enough Devil May Cry at all really...

Dante seems nice enough, he's not really attempting to be any sort of Hero to the people as far as I can tell, but he seems to do the right thing when presented with a moral choice.

So, someone found a new sidequest in FFIX, 13 years after it was released.
    If you go to the Tantalus hideout at the beginning of disc 4, you will find Zenero and Benero wondering where Marcus and Cinna are. You've likely seen this before, but this is actually the beginning of a side quest. Now, head to Memoria and proceed until you watch a cut-scene or fight a boss. Then head back to the hideout to find Genero wondering where Benero and Zenero are. Then repear this process seven more times and every time you go back to the hideout, you will find a new member of the family. The last five are girls and the final one seems to be a child, as she is really small. Once you talk to her, Zidane will comment on the huge family and you will now find a new chest containing a Protect Ring inside the hideout. The next time you come back, the quest will simply start over, but there's not enough events to complete it twice. These are the events that move the quest forwards:

1. The beginning of Disc 4.
    2. The battle with Nova Dragon.
    3. The battle with Maliris.
    4. The flashback of Alexander.
    5. The scene where Zidane talks to himself.
    6. The flashback of Dagger on the boat.
    7. The scene with the giant eye in the sky.
    8. The battle with Tiamat.
    9. The scene with the two planets colliding.
    10. The scene where Quina thinks he/she is drowning.
    11. The scene where Garland talks about memories.
    12. The battle with Kraken.
    13. The scene about Gaia's birth.
    14. The battle with Lich.
    15. The scene where Garland talks about the beginning and the Crystal.
    16. The scene where the party enters the Crystal World.
    17. The battle with Deathguise.
    This is one of the most obtuse quest triggers I have ever heard of. No wonder hardly anybody knew about it until recently.
    This is the game that has "Get to the final dungeon within 12 hours to get the best sword."
  • Can't they, like, look at the game's source code or something?
  • I don't know honestly, I googled it and couldn't find anything either way.
  • Well, tumblr has to be getting those sprites from somewhere.

Oh, no, it came out of alpha and went into beta.

Meaning that they made a second trial version. Highly unusual.
  • in any case I like the new characters. Especially the dullahan.

and Cirno's reappearance is welcome.

mostly I'm excited about Sakuya's return.

Yarrun said:

Well, tumblr has to be getting those sprites from somewhere.

Oh, no, it came out of alpha and went into beta.

Meaning that they made a second trial version. Highly unusual.

ah

that's more common among american indie games than Japanese doujin games.

• edited 2013-05-29 09:37:23
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Hopeless Masquerade is the full version, it was just rushed out. Kokoro isn't playable in Vs. mode yet, but that's about it. And before the most recent patch, Koishi was so overpowered she could crash the game.

Anyway, played some of Devil Survivor Overclocked, now it's been patched. On day 2 ATM, with the teams of:

Kazuya/MC: Jack Frost/Toubyou
    Yuzu: Jack Frost/Tlaloc
    Atsuro: Thor/Gozuki.
  • so i mentioned that i acquired two vidya games yesterday. They are Half-Life 2 (*Which i intend to play over the summer*) and Evoland (*I've played like an hour of it, it is ok*)
  • > It is so annoying to see a game that sounds interesting and find out that it is only for consoles, while I play only PC

Wait a few years and then emulate it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Piracy? How VILE and DISGUSTING
  • edited 2013-05-29 15:51:43
    edit: previously a repeat post of the above due to forum glitch
  • Hopeless Masquerade is the full version, it was just rushed out. Kokoro isn't playable in Vs. mode yet, but that's about it. And before the most recent patch, Koishi was so overpowered she could crash the game.

It's still pretty broken. The numpad doesn't work for one thing, and it borks if you try to add the translation patch to it.
    That's because the translation patch was hastily made. The game has literally been out for 3 days. And numpad works fine, so um, I have no idea what on earth you're talking about there.
  • And numpad works fine, so um, I have no idea what on earth you're talking about there.

Not for me it doesn't.

Really, from what I saw, a bunch of people were having totally unrelated issues with the game. I might just uninstall and reinstall.

• edited 2013-05-31 08:04:24
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Preregistration for the annual Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta has begun!
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I know! I'm so excited!

I think I'm gonna do either 750 or no 750, but I can't decide which one...
    I'm doing No 750 Natural BERSERKER RISK (image) because I'm in an ever escalating contest of oneupmanship with myself. First year was Normal. Last year was Hard Mode BERSERKER RISK. Thus, this year's choice was obvious.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I was thinking about doing Natural, but I decided that going natural takes a lot of fun out of the game and removes interesting class synergies.

But berserker risk...that could be fun.

No 750 Berserker Risk might be too intense for me, though...
  • Awesomenauts, or My MOBA Can't Be This Fun!
  • I dunno why exactly I like Rising Storm. I think it's because playing it is a tactical investment through and through. Where should I run to? What path to take? Do I hunker down here and wait for enemies or charge in and hope I make it?