General Video Game Thread

Comments

• They're mocking Microsoft, right?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    omgggggg I can't wait until Homestuck is finished so I can read it as a complete work and maybe finally make imipolex g read it. :)
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    oh this isn't the megathread whoops -_-

video games :)
  • edited 2013-06-11 00:43:25
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    The Tale of Alltynex: a really cool trilogy of Japanese doujin shmups, recently released in English. http://alltynex.com/
  • edited 2013-06-11 02:14:31
    I picked up an old DSiWare game again while I was riding up to Colorado. It's called Aura Aura Climber. It's surprisingly deep for a game that costs two bucks. It's a vertically scrolling platformer where you play as a fallen star trying to regain his place in the sky. But like I said, it's surprisingly deep. It has three modes (Score Attack, Marathon, and Endless, the first and last of which could probably be standalone games) and a ton of achievements. I'm honestly pretty astounded at all the content put into one cheap game.
  • edited 2013-06-11 02:58:43
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Bunny said:

hahahaahahaaaaaaa

Sony my respect for you went up 5 points
    Saw it coming. Laughed anyway.
  • I think it's incredible that the PS4's only defining feature is that it's a regular console without any gimmicks and it's still the best one that's coming out this generation.
  • edited 2013-06-11 15:14:31
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII (announced in 2006) actually exists and is now known as Final Fantasy XV. I would normally not care because I disapprove of the series of late, but it is directed by the creator of Kingdom Hearts soooooo yeah ladyboners

• new pokemans

fairy type confirmed

happy~

YOU CAN PET

THE

POKEMON

YOU CAN PET THE POKEMON YOU CAN PET THE POKEMON YOU CAN PET THE POKEMON

P
    E
    T

T
    H
    E

P
    O
    K
    E
    M
    O
    N
  • I kind of don't want Gardevoir to be Fairy-type. I don't know, maybe it's because the other three confirmed to be fairy-typed are all small and cuddly, and she's all tall and whatnot. But still, new-type, very promising.

And the fact that you can pet Garbordor feels very right.
  • edited 2013-06-11 15:02:45
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Pet Ferrothorn. Visit the hospital. Also, why isn't Clefairy a fairy? :|
  • Pet Zweilous. Get your eye taken out. Form team plasma.
  • A new type?

And not one that I've actually thought ought to exist?  Not light, sound, star, holy, etc.?

But instead, another mythological type like dragon?

What
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    And holy wouldn't count as a mythological type?
  • And holy wouldn't count as a mythological type?

• More like a generalized spiritual thing.  And besides, they already have "dark".
  • edited 2013-06-11 17:00:18
    And besides, they already have "dark".
    Except dark is more "dishonourable". All their attacks are based on trickery and deceit.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Hrmmm...I wonder if Microsoft's features would be considered "worth it" to if I actually watched TV instead of let the internet and Netflix fill that gap.

As it stands now, aside from occasionally downloading something to watch, my PS3 works perfectly as a media center that also plays video games. 

I guess the ability to tell my machine what to do or wave my hands to get it what I wanted it to do would be nice, but the remote mostly function just to get me past the interface and on to the game I want to play or Netflix program/blu-ray I want to watch. This process is quick enough that I've never really desired additional functionality.

So unless Microsoft is going to make a machine to help me download stuff from off the net to watch, it's doubtful I'm going to be excited enough about their new system to defend some of the design choices.
  • A new type?

And not one that I've actually thought ought to exist?  Not light, sound, star, holy, etc.?

But instead, another mythological type like dragon?

What

none of those make any particularly larger amount of sense than Fairy

what would "Star" even be?

Justice42 said:

Hrmmm...I wonder if Microsoft's features would be considered "worth it" to if I actually watched TV instead of let the internet and Netflix fill that gap.

As it stands now, aside from occasionally downloading something to watch, my PS3 works perfectly as a media center that also plays video games. 

I guess the ability to tell my machine what to do or wave my hands to get it what I wanted it to do would be nice, but the remote mostly function just to get me past the interface and on to the game I want to play or Netflix program/blu-ray I want to watch. This process is quick enough that I've never really desired additional functionality.

So unless Microsoft is going to make a machine to help me download stuff from off the net to watch, it's doubtful I'm going to be excited enough about their new system to defend some of the design choices.
    If the fact that it spies on you isn't enough, there are a number of signs pointing to them adopting an MMORPG style "free to play" model. In particular, they announced a fighting game that you can technically acquire for free, but you need to buy all but one of the characters individually.
  • Mo' said:

what would "Star" even be?

• Just saw the E3 Nintendo Direct. It was pretty good.
    Video games are for babies!
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I'm more excited for the Smash Brothers stuff

God Tier Character right here
    baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabies
  • Bunny said:

who the hell is that?
    BABIES
    It's the villager from Animal Crossing.

And yes, he can take any projectile in the game and stuff it in his pocket. Badass.
  • Mo' said:

Bunny said:

who the hell is that?
    The playable character from Animal Crossing.
    ba

bies
    man some people are seriously bitching about the fairy type

apparently dragons are useless now

this is stupid
  • Bunny said:

man some people are seriously bitching about the fairy type

apparently dragons are useless now

this is stupid
    I can kinda see the problem. Dragons didn't need to be nerfed.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Dragons were almost all overpowered. They actually kind of did need to be nerfed.

And now the metagame will be more balanced since the type match-ups will be overall better, and it won't be "Who has the uber Dragon on the team". It helps that you don't have to pack a Dragon or a frail Ice-type to take down an uber.

So yeah, I gotta say it was a hugely good thing they changed it up a bit. Fairy isn't overpowered anyway and won't do much on its own. It's just something that weakens an extremely overpowered type.
  • They're overpowered because of their stats, not their type.
    Kexruct said:

They're overpowered because of their stats, not their type.

It's both, actually. When they lack almost no weaknesses and the Ice type is slaughtered by them anyway due to being able to easily use all their weaknesses, a new type was needed. Every Dragon type has such a giant selection of moves that destroyed Ice.

Also, yes, Dragon was an overpowered type before stats. Dragons are always going to also have giant stats because they're powerful mythical beasts. Instead of weakening their stat totals, they brought in a very balance type that just happens to be decent against them. Despite being meh against a lot of other things.

Oh, and yeah, they did need the nerf anyway.
  • I wouldn't mind them having more weaknesses if it meant they could be strong against more than one type.

Also, aren't Ice types useless in competitive play anyway?
    Ice types are pretty useless in competitive play, yes. They get slaughtered easily. Which means they aren't viable counters to Dragon types. They resist barely anything. -_-

That's kind of what happened, Dragon finally got brought down a notch by having one harder match-up. But they're still extremely powerful. Now, if Ice resisted Dragon, I could see them actually being majorly weaker. Fairy is also not necessarily going to be awesome in competitive play. It depends its full match-ups.

The only actual Pseudo-Legendaries that were an issue were the Dragons as is. Why? Because there was not a single Ice type that could survive long enough for good enough STAB bonus. They all sucked. Stealth Rock especially hurt too.

• edited 2013-06-12 07:57:18
    The only actual Pseudo-Legendaries that were an issue were the Dragons as is.
    ...Er, what? Tyranitar and Metagross have both been incredibly powerful forces. Whilst Metagross is less powerful nowadays, Tyranitar is still one of the most metagame shaping things around.
    Tyranitar is pretty damn easy to beat. One Fighting move slaughters it. Only its ability are the big deal. Especially with a simple Lucario who can easily take it out. It's kind of overrated. Still banworthy due to the abilities and Sandstorm, but it has some type problems.

So no, it's really the Dragons that are huge problem overall.

HIGH FIVES MOTHERFUCKER
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Nintendo are discriminating against Pokémon without arms. :|
    Amity Square proved that Nintendo loves to separate the Pokemon into unfair groups.

"Cute" is more or less the Fairy Egg Group, for instance.

Also, Fairy type, booya.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

• edited 2013-06-13 02:42:28
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I'm wondering what will become of the XBox-One.

I'm guessing Microsoft is simply going to have to do some serious software patching to ditch a lot of features in favor of adopting a more traditional system and not giving people the heebee-jeebees.

Otherwise, this might be the next Jaguar 64 or Virtual Boy.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    It'll be interesting to see how it's received upon release, considering how cold the reception is currently. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are either gonna buy it regardless or just aren't aware of the controversy.

I wouldn't mind seeing Microsoft drop out of the console race, frankly. Any company who can push ideas like these past frenzied, drunken scribbling and all the way to a final product deserves a good kick in the rear.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Considering it's apparently illegal in some countries (Germany and Mexico for example), Europe is practically Sonyland and the Japanese market is all but lost since Idolmaster is no longer exclusive, I can only see it doing well in America