Completely legit reasons for disliking newer Legend of Zelda titles

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Cosplay never looks good anyway.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    POWER metal and goths and steampunk, oh my
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Some cosplay is really, really good.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I saw an impressive Tenth Doctor cosplayer at Ohayocon.

The costume was great, but what really sold it was that he had the Doctor's mannerisms down pat.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The "Roll" looks OK, could use some tweaking, but their are simply aspects of the costume that are hard to pull off.

Megaman really needs some going over, but this is a much, MUCH harder look to pull off.

But, yeah, he needs to chill out about the girls. That one really comes off as more of an attempt to seem "cool" and not "follow the crowd".
  • edited 2012-06-02 01:43:47
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Also, moved to media.
    OK, I'll admit that Link and that Equius look pretty cool.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Isn't that Link a woman?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • The Poison Ivy was a bit scandalous, even for convention standards.

There are middle-schoolers who occasionally go to conventions, right? (I wouldn't know, seeing that I'm far too cool to go to such an event)
    Bebe is an incredibly complex character with an extensive background whom I use to portray lesbianism in a tasteful and respectful way. If you think her portrayal is offensive you are wrong and I hate you.
  • edited 2012-06-05 11:04:28
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh Lord, that face at the end of "Expressive" looks like Lil' Cal. :O

And does the guy he's making fun of have a "tasteful" lesbian that's actually a shallow, girl-crazy wish-fulfillment character? Because if so, bleh.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

nah man it's cool, he's all enlightened and understanding and stuff, see check it out

Like I said, there should be a law against straight men authoring anything involving gay women

I'm really starting to despise his expressions

They're okay at first but then I keep seeing all the same ones and it gets annoying

Also, i'm pretty sure lesbians don't run around prefacing all their actions with "LESBIAN _____!"
    >Like I said, there should be a law against straight men authoring anything involving gay women

*disclaimer: not a lesbian*

I don't really agree with this; it seems too essentialist.  Preston appears to be using an LGBT character as a kind of semantic buzzword to demonstrate his feigned social awareness, possibly for no other reason to score points from his desired (anticipated?) hip, socially-conscious liberal/LGBT readers, although it wouldn't surprise me if this were also a wish-fulfilment/fetish thing.  I doubt he knows any lesbians in real life, or that he's aware of the irony of using a sexist stereotype as the mouthpiece for a strawman anti-progressive argument.

It's the kind of daft fuckup that could conceivably be made by a well-meaning-but-ignorant would-be-ally, but since he believes he can do no wrong and perceives any and all criticism as a personal insult, I don't suppose his portrayal of minorities is likely to ever improve.
  • Somehow I think he was being less than serious.
  • edited 2012-06-05 20:27:30
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well, no.  But I mean, I don't agree that "Preston's a straight guy" is the problem here, is what I'm saying.
    Fouria G: bringing you The Obvious since 2008.

Somehow I think he was being less than serious.

No, he's serious. He really, truly thinks that he's being a progressive pioneer in gay literature with this shit.  Either that or he thinks all comic readers are too stupid to see past his mental masturbations:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

• Please, readers don't ask the authors of their stories to add more sex.

That's what overly-prurient fanfiction is for (and said fanfiction is what copious amounts of alcohol are for, but you probably knew that already)

Also, if that wasn't blatantly self-referential (and if he actually drew decent backgrounds), I might actually like this one.
  • I meant that I thought you were being deliberately overly broad saying

Like I said, there should be a law against straight men authoring anything involving gay women

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like the absence of backgrounds
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

I like the absence of backgrounds

this is a baseless accusation

there are some gradients 

I like the gradients
  • edited 2012-06-05 21:19:57
  • edited 2012-06-05 21:24:59
    I don't understand that.  He's not a completely dreadful artist, and most of his comics are fairly static so he wouldn't even need to draw more than one background for each.  So can he actually not draw backgrounds, or is he just that lazy?
    I was serious, by the way.
    To me it looks kind of cheap. :/

It looks fine when it's done well.

This implies that gradients are hard to do.

• edited 2012-06-05 21:35:54
    It gives the comic a slightly surreal feel. Like it's stopping just short of attempting realism, which I like.

Cut me some slack here, I'm trying to find something good about this guy's work.
  • edited 2012-06-05 21:42:16
    It depends on the context, I guess.  Even talking artistically, I'd generally rather have at least semi-detailed backgrounds than gradients in most cases though.

Unless it's something like MSPA where it's supposed to look simplistic I guess.

^ His characters' proportions are mostly fine.  If it was by a beginner artist I'd be a lot more forgiving.  It's certainly miles better than I could do if I were to just attempt a comic right now, but I haven't had art classes and I don't call myself a cartoonist.
  • edited 2012-06-05 21:40:14
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    ^^the lettering is nice, too

I hate standard bucket fill gradients. A straight mathematical gradient fill, to me, is about as atrociously artificial as you can get. Take the two colors you want to gradiate through, slap one up top, one down below, and then use the smear or sponge tool or something. This result is a heck of a lot more pleasing to the eye. 

Frictional Minnesota, when I said there ought to be a law I wasn't being completely serious -- it's just that in webcomics, it seems that gay women are the safe go-to thing whenever homosexuality becomes an issue that needs to be brought in or featured -- and if webcomics are anything like the regular comics industry, being pretty much male dominated, the reasons for this become pretty clear.  In fact this comic addresses a similar problem with the same intent: 

Pretty sure FM was just pointing out that I took your post too literally, which I kinda did, sorry.  I got what you meant, though.

But I do think less-than-sensitive portrayals of minority characters are fairly common, and usually a symptom of a writer who has more good intentions than awareness or sense, and who will grow out of it given time and frank criticism.  Preston probably won't, but we can hope.
    Does he actually draw any comics that don't have his ugly mug in one of the panels?

Does he actually draw any comics that don't have his ugly mug in one of the panels?
    Actually the first two comics of his that got posted didn't, but they where still shit.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, when I went off about wish-fulfillment, it was more because it seems like every straight guy that's going on about how gay-friendly he is tends to bring up how much he likes lesbians when they do. These same guys would probably freak out and start throwing punches if two guys kissed in front of them. :P

And then, that other strip where the yuri fan wants more sex scenes? Yeah, that's not how yuri usually works. While some of it is sexy, there's a lot more emphasis placed on romantic drama and just everyday goofiness in yuri, from what little I've seen of it. Just like in a real relationship, if it were all sex all the time, it'd get old after a while. :P
    A man? Seriously? -gigglesnorts- She's waaaay too cute to be mistaken for a man. But then, I get the feeling that's the point.
    It's a joke about how Dobson's character, Alex Ze Pirate gets constantly mistaken for a man, despite having visible breasts, thus making the joke completely nonsensical.
    Indeed.

Also, after finally watching the videos a couple pages ago, I no longer want to find anything good in his work.
    Odra: Ah, okay. She's still cute though... ._.
This discussion has been closed.