Completely legit reasons for disliking newer Legend of Zelda titles

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-05-26 16:41:45
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

I haven't followed the newer stuff too closely, but a few of these seem...made up, or at least they're making a big deal out of something that's pretty much a nothing.

Hence why I can't figure out if this is parody or serious. 

CURSE YOU, POE'S LAW!
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    that looks like tom preston drew that
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's serious, Justice.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    O_o
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Navi was a good sidekick though
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

It's serious, Justice.
    But...Ganon TURNS into a pig, more often than not...and having a whole bunch of space to run around in is considered a BAD thing? Link is certainly NOT a blond pretty boy...

By much of this reasoning, these games would be considered good Zelda titles. 
  • edited 2012-05-26 18:16:49

I don't think the third panel quite follows, either.

It's not like the SNES game follows the second game. I played through about 75% of it and it actually felt like Zelda 64 was something of a prequel that happened long before it.
    yep it's tom preston

SOME of that is...kinda valid. But I think a lot of it has to do with these character not really being well defined.

Samus not having to wear her suit could have been done in the first game.

Peach has been made pretty silly.

I think the author is confusing young Link with some sort of bishonen Link he made up in his head, though.

• As I recall, Samus was wearing a bikini by the end of the first game (Provided you 100%'d)

Could be confusing it with Zero Mission though.
  • edited 2012-05-26 18:28:17
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Samus not having to wear her suit was done in the first game, if you knew the right passwords. Namely, JUSTIN BAILEY.

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated in the games that Mario was from Brooklyn. It was only in the cartoons and the movie, wasn't it? And I remember watching an interview somewhere where Charles Martinet said that he did Mario's voice the way he did because he thought the Brooklyn-accented Mario didn't really fit a friendly children's adventure game hero.
    Just to clarify, these comics were drawn by the only man on earth who liked the old Zelda and Mario saturday morning cartoons unironically.

Things I Like
  • edited 2012-05-26 18:35:09

Also, Friday and I enjoy Lady in the Water, despite M. Night Shyamalan casting himself as the messiah and how angry at critics he seems in it.

Well, Mario started out as "Jumpman" in Donkey Kong, and there he was was a construction worker type. In the first American cartoon (Donkey Kong, Ruby-Spears) he was played up with that kind of accent, I think. I'm not sure and I don't want to research those horrible old cartoons

Tom Preston strikes me as a wedding of mediocre skill with zero style or substance. None whatsoever.  I know a lot of other people rag on him, but I have to agree that his comics are painful for me to look at.

No one can really expect the cartoons to be considered "canon" by the game makers...
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Indeed. Although they may reference it from time to time.
  • edited 2012-05-26 18:38:48
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Hmm, I forgot about Donkey Kong. You may have a point there. But I'm still a little skeptical because that game didn't openly reference New York, either.

And I wouldn't quite agree with Odradek's choice of words. I kind of like the Super Mario Bros. Super Show for what it is: a cheesy Saturday morning sugar cereal adventure. Nonetheless, they aren't exactly good.
    Whats with the hateboner for Navi?
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    It's mostly because of the repeated "HEY! LISTEN!"  Which to be perfectly honest, I didn't find all that annoying. Then again, I have a higher tolerance for repetition.

It's fun to joke about, I will admit. But sometimes, the fan hate is a little overblown.
    The "Hey Listen" IIRC only happened about once every 10 minutes
  • edited 2012-05-26 18:53:45

^^ >Implying that isn't actually super annoying.

Not that I disagree mind you. Anger at Navi has gotten to the point where it's a bit overplayed.

Ironically, this puts Preston in a similar position as the fans he's so quick to attack.

I think people hate Twinkle, too. It's not hard to see why, but just because a franchise has picked up a few Scrapys over the years doesn't mean it's ruined forever.

stopped playing the series with the SNES game krew
    ^^

He isn't called Tingle in the USA?
    Hi I'm Chris Houlihan GET OUT OF MY ROOM

I played and beat Zelda 64, played a whole bunch of Wind Waker, played a little Twilight Princess (to say nothing of the earliest titles)

They've certainly taken the franchise in a different directions, but I think the idea that Zelda had anything resembling a solid base pretty silly.

The second game didn't even use the same game mechanics as the first.

And he's banking pretty heavily on Link's personality from the show. Link didn't really have a personality in the first titles.

Heck, I didn't even get much of a personality from the more current title. That's just what happens when your main character doesn't have any lines.

^^

He isn't called Tingle in the USA?

Ah, so he is. Obviously, I should have gotten farther in Wind Waker.
  • edited 2012-05-26 19:04:59
    Funny you should mention Wind Waker when we were just talking about Zelda fan hate. Though that hate has been mostly dead for years, and if I'm not mistaken, the general consensus is that it was better than its former rival Twilight Princess.

I'd be curious to see how Mr. Preston would share his thoughts about the older and newer generations of Pokémon if I didn't have the sneaking suspicion that he'd consider the whole thing "stupid kiddie anime bullcrap."
  • edited 2012-05-26 20:11:55
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I always find it funny that people would likely make the same arguments about Pokemon losing creativity and, "Going down the drain" if you swapped the first and fifth generations

"TAUROS IS JUST A BOUFFALANT! Oh, sure, he has THREE tails. Yeah, like THAT'S creative. At least our dear Bouffalant has an AFRO! FUCK YEAH AFROS!"
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Navi was a little annoying, and there have been some areas in newer Zelda games that were disappointingly empty. (Hyrule Field in OoT, if that still counts as newer...)

Other than that, this is all bullcrap
  • edited 2012-05-26 20:15:46
    ^^Heh. I was just thinking of that rageface comic that talked about that.

^I will admit, Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time was a bit empty. Termina Field in Majora's Mask was a huge improvement in that area.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I remember that rage comic. I wish I could find it again...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Navi was never annoying to me.

Tingle got pretty annoying in Wind Waker though.

To be fair, Hyrule Field is well...a FIELD.  It was where my mind went to when I thought of that complaint, however. So, I guess there's some substance to it.
    Ocarina of Time's field was decently full, to be fair.

Twilight Princess', however...
  • edited 2012-05-26 21:01:55
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Riding across Hyrule Field on horseback in OOT was so much more awesome than exploring Termina Field, though.

I guess Twilight Princess had the best of both worlds.  Large open spaces to ride across, lots of nooks and crannies to explore and secrets to find.
    Although it was fun to Goron Roll in Termina, IMO.

I love MM as well. :D
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Majora's Mask is kickass, don't get me wrong.  But I liked Hyrule Field, and I liked that it felt BIG and open.  It made the whole thing seem so much more epic.

Epic in the sense of epic quest narratives and legendary battles and shit, I mean.
  • edited 2012-05-26 21:06:52

Honestly the "empty" claim seemed nit-picky to me, and open to debate.

And it wasn't even what I'd consider the complaint with the least amount of substance. 
    Majora's Mask is kickass, don't get me wrong.  But I liked Hyrule Field, and I liked that it felt BIG and open.  It made the whole thing seem so much more epic.

Epic in the sense of epic quest narratives and legendary battles and shit, I mean.
    There was such a nice warm, happy feeling when you first hit the field Epona and you realize you have a giant world to explore. There's certainly some positive aspects that come from Hyrule Field being open.
  • edited 2012-05-26 21:07:01
    Thinking about it again, Hyrule Field is better suited to riding around on Epona, while Termina Field is better suited to walking and/or rolling.

I don't think I've ever seen Twilight Princess's Hyrule Field aside from the bit you get to see in the final boss fight, so I can't comment on that.
    Hyrule Field was indeed open and felt great the first time. Same with the Boat in Wind Waker, imo.

But then, the first Zelda game did that too. But it was mostly open from the start. Anyway, TP's field isn't actually more empty than OOT's in comparison. It's about the same, but it also has places where you can easily fall off(why are there no fences?) but there's a lot more active encounters in comparison. It's just spread out around the same ratio, I guess.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I FOUND THE RANT!

• I have to admit, OoT Hyrule Field I found rather eh... But for the most part, I do enjoy the game as a whole. Termina Field, on the other hand, man do I love the scenery changes in it.

So ummm...what the hell is even up with the last panel in the comic in the OP?

Is he mad at Four Swords Adventures? 

Heaven forbid more then one person gets to play Zelda at a time.
  • edited 2012-05-27 01:19:12
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Possibly. Or he doesn't like that there's more than one Dark Link in Twilight Princess' cutscenes.
  • The rant about the Gen 5 pokemon complaining is actually pretty funny though (YOU'RE JUST A FUCKING DUCK). However, I've never seen it before today.

I've never heard of this guy, he seems like one of those I AM ANGRY ON THE INTERNET, BLARGH dudes.

This discussion has been closed.