Report Bugs Here

Comments

• or not, it's still telling me I don't have permission to access the tab.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Applicants and Applications have been enabled in the Gatekeeper role now.
  • still getting a "You Don't Have Permission To Do That" error.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Alright, time to do that thing I do where I screw around with one of my own sockpuppets to try to replicate the problem. Give me a couple minutes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Alright, I think I figured it out. It's not enough to give you permission to view applicants; you have to have permission to "Approve" users, too.
  • ok.

lemme know when you've figured it out. The Applicants button is gone fwiw.

The Applicants button only shows up when there's an application in the queue. It's that way for admins, too.
  • Oh, did you already reject that bot then?

OK.

I will stand vigilant in the meantime.

Somebody did. I might have done it out of habit without realizing it.

It won't be long before another comes along, though.
  • I feel like I have to be a positive role model now.
  • Just turned down my first bot.

Also, I can for some reason access the various add-on customization panels. Might want to fix that if possible.

I won't do anything with them regardless but still.

That should be fixed now.

In true Vanilla fashion, there are two confusingly-named permissions: "Applicants" and "Applications", and in our confusion before Anonus or I enabled them both. Turns out "Applicants" is the one you need, and "Applications" gives you access to another admin panel that controls other parts of Vanilla. This software's confusing sometimes.
  • I see.

Thank you, ma'm.

I shall now return to guarding the gate. 

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I just got another 500 error, and hmmm:

Special PHP considerations

By default, PHP FastCGI processes exit after handling 500 requests, and they may exit after this module has already connected to the application and sent the next request. When that occurs, an error will be logged and 500 Internal Server Error will be returned to the client. This PHP behavior can be disabled by setting PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS to 0, but that can be a problem if the PHP application leaks resources. Alternatively, PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS can be set to a much higher value than the default to reduce the frequency of this problem. <a href="http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html#fcgidmaxrequestsperprocess"; style="color: rgb(53, 165, 0);">FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess</a> can be set to a value less than or equal to PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS to resolve the problem.

I just upped the limit to 10000, using a wrapper script Apache provided. We should see the errors a lot less frequently now.
    Thanks!
  • got an applicant whose reason for joining is "I enjoy a good heap". That seems like a joke but it might also just be a clever spambot so I'm not sure what to do here.

username is degnanon if that rings bells to anyone.

edit: nevermind actually, his e-mail looks legit. I'mma approve him.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    If someone enjoys a good heap then you can save your rainbowy danmaku swirls for later. :)
  • edited 2013-04-03 22:55:27
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Okay, that's why YouTube embeds aren't working on TenFourFox (which is HTML5 only): YOUTUBE CHANGED HOW EMBEDS WORK.

Yes, this can be fixed.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    hmm
  • Aliroz_ said:

Anyways, um, administrators, I can only access the first thread on each tag page, like General, General Media, Thistagisalwaysapplicable, etc.  And, on the all discussins page, I can't access any of the threads.
    None of the buttons in the "categories" tray work.  And I can't access the top half of the page on the All Discussions page.
    Reposting because Aliroz can't access Administrivia, apparently.
    And I just figured out why the site has been hammered recently: WhosOnline wasn't configured correctly and was hitting the server every second (or worse). Upping the timeout to 30 seconds seems to have made a difference.
    Ouch! I kinda feel like that's my own fault, since I was the one who wanted that plugin. >_<
    I just changed over the YouTube embed code to the new system mentioned in the Google blog link above. Let's see if it works.
  • edit: nevermind, problem was on her end.
  • You know what site also had a post limit?

TV Tropes
  • For some reason I can't post any discussions.
  • edited 2013-04-20 23:26:59
    And now the problem's gone. Huh.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    There's no link to the Activity page in the mobile site. Not too big of a problem, but it would be nice to have one.
    Also, if you switch to the full site while in the mobile one, there's no link there to switch back to mobile. That's a bit more problematic

Apologies if these topics have been brought up earlier in the thread.
    This just popped up in a little window for me:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or
    misconfiguration and was unable to complete
    your request.

Please contact the server administrator,
    webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred,
    and anything you might have done that may have
    caused the error.

More information about this error may be available
    in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at www.heapershangout.com Port 80

Is something being installed or something?
    I had the same thing. It seems to happen from time to time, but I never commented on it 'cause usually everything's fine once I close it.
    I think I've seen that a few times.

I usually chalk it up to "dammit, computers are stupid"
    Yeah, the PHP setup will occasionally stop by itself as a defense against memory leaks. I had a wrapper script installed that should have made it less likely to do that, but it may be a good idea to just turn off that "feature" entirely.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    It happens to me too. It doesn't really cause any issues to my knowledge beyond "...That's kind of annoying." But I just refresh and everything is fine.
    Not so much a bug as a couple of things I noticed and should take care of eventually:
    • We really need to upgrade to the newest Ubuntu LTS (12.04 or "Precise"). Going to 64-bit would be a good idea, too, since 32-bit is something of a thing of the past now.
    • Linode is offering a free upgrade from 512 MB to 1 GB. We don't absolutely need the space—reconfiguring the "who's on" plugin helped a lot—but hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    None of this will be happening tonight, as it's too close to my bedtime to do any intricate upgrades. I'm mainly writing this down to remind me to do it when I have the time.
  • cool

that reminds me i wanna get back to ubuntu so much aahhhhhgghh
    ^^ Sounds good to me!

^ Same here. I was gonna hold out until I get a replacement hard drive, but I might just try reformatting this one out of desperation... >_>
  • I'm down for some upgrades.
    I'm up for some downgrades.
    :O
    Did we get the 1 GB upgrade?
    Not yet. I have to take the site offline to do it, so I've been holding off.
    Oh, okay.
    I keep getting HTTP 500 more frequently lately...is something wrong?
  • I keep getting HTTP 500 more frequently lately...is something wrong?

I'm not sure. If it keeps happening, I'll probably have to turn off fcgid and go back to using the module, even though it's less efficient.
    The forum in general seems slower and more likely to get errors (including that one) lately, for me at least.
    Hokay, this sucks. For one thing, GDN_Comment (where all the posts are stored) is MyISAM when it really should be InnoDB. I just saw the PHP workers time out after MySQL sat there, stuck using like 80% CPU.